The false prophet and the image of the beast.

Scilent

I think this is old news and most of you have seen it already, but do you all recall that robot that was created in Japan to become a Buddist deity that can give sermons? Below is the link.

https://sea.mashable.com/culture/2515/japan-just-created-possibly-the-worlds-first-android-deity-and-shes-buddhist

Well, I was looking at Revelations 13:11-15 today and it said ---

11 Then I saw another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb and he spoke as a dragon. 12 He exercises all the authority of the first beast [j]in his presence. And he makes the earth and those who dwell in it to worship the first beast, whose fatal wound was healed. 13 He performs great signs, so that he even makes fire come down out of heaven to the earth in the presence of men. 14 And he deceives those who dwell on the earth because of the signs which it was given him to perform [k]in the presence of the beast, telling those who dwell on the earth to make an image to the beast who *had the wound of the sword and has come to life. 15 And it was given to him to give breath to the image of the beast, so that the image of the beast would even [l]speak and cause as many as do not worship the image of the beast to be killed.

Now though I thought the Japanese robot thing was creepy, I think what's being pictured here in Revelation 13 is something different entirely. Something more than building a robot. Anyone can build a robot and program it to say something, and people have been worshiping idols for thousands of years.

But looking at that verse, it feels like this is something "special." He was actually given power to the false prophet to give breath to the image of the beast. Not build it and program it. I think this thing that's made is demonically empowered. In fact, that's whats going to make it so appealing to the masses, to deceive so many, because it's really happening, apart from any man made technology.

Back when I was young, I fell for some of the explanations in Revelations, those claiming that the demons in chapter 9 of revelations were Apache helicopters or something. Well, along with that, some use to say that the image of the beast would be some robotic creation that everyone on earth would be made to bow down to.

No....

No....

I think this thing is going to be more evil than anything like that. More "real," more..... well... exactly like it's described in scripture.

What do you all think?

Oh.... and one other thing.... think about this. If what I've heard for years that the Catholic pope might be the false prophet... I've never considered this before.... but aren't catholics already primed with images and statues, and statues that cry blood tears and stigmata and all that?? Hmmm....

Last edited:

cavalier973

It is possible that the Beast and False Prophet propose something like "transhumanism", where one could have his consciousness uploaded to a computer, and the Beast has this done, is assassinated, and then appears again on a giant computer screen set up in the Temple.

The False Prophet will be, I believe, someone who claims to be Jesus returned from heaven.

cavalier973

If you're willing to entertain some crazy talk: JFK is the Beast. He somehow survived the attack in '63 ("the head wound that was healed") and is preparing to reveal himself again.

Just kidding.

We know from Scripture that the Beast will not be revealed until after the Departure of the Church.

antitox

The reason I think a pope might be the false prophet is because he's someone who will be known (comes out of the earth) and because he's well known that everyone will listen to him.. The AC is going to come out of nowhere and no one will know who he is, yet he will be very persuasive. The false prophet gets the people's trust up front, so he directs the people to the beast. That's my understanding of it. Another reason I look at the pope in this role is because Rome is on 7 hills and that is a clue to me.

cavalier973

The False Prophet comes "from the earth", while the Beast comes "from the sea". These may mean "from Israel" and "from the nations", respectively. The many waters that the whore, "Mystery Babylon", sits on are said to be many nations and peoples, etc.

I am not sure that the False Prophet is the same as "Mystery Babylon".

"Mystery Babylon" sits on the beast who has seven heads and ten horns. The seven heads are explained to be seven mountains on which the whore sits. (This whore sits around a lot) Since the city of Rome is known as the "City on Seven Hills", and the whore is said to be "that great city that reigns over the kings of the earth", then there is strong implication that the whore is Rome.

It is also possible that the seven heads/mountains represent seven empires of history, since we are told next that there are seven kings, with five fallen, one existing at the time that John is recording, and one yet to come. The Beast is an eighth king, but is of the seven prior kingdoms.

In this interpretation, Egypt, Assyria, Babylon, Persia, and Greece are the five kings that have fallen, Rome is the one that is, and...hmm...I don't remember who is supposed to be the seventh. It says the seventh king continues for a short space, which indicates that the seventh won't last very long. It is the Beast's kingdom, probably, but then the Beast also has the eighth Kingdom....

Or, alternately, the five fallen, the one existing, and the ones to come, are Roman Caesars, which would play back into the Beast being the leader of a revived Roman Empire.

cavalier973

I was just discussing this with my wife, and she asked what was the purpose of the False Prophet.

Thinking about it, I guess that, while the Beast is given political power from the first, it is not until the False Prophet compels it that people give the Beast religious devotion.

Sowen

I think this thing is going to be more evil than anything like that. More "real," more..... well... exactly like it's described in scripture.

What do you all think?
I agree. Revelation 13:15 makes it clear the image of the beast will not be a technology-powered non-living AI thing. Rather, it'll be a demonic-powered quasi-living thing. There's no reason in the text and its context to think otherwise or to read our modern technology into it.

From a technology perspective, it's impossible for the idol to be AI because the idol has consciousness, and we can't code consciousness.

I used to think we'd one day discover the elusive secret of what human consciousness actually is and why it's so unique, then we'd be able to code consciousness into AI. But when I became a Christian, it dawned on me why that'd never happen and why human consciousness is unique: we are made in the image of God. The most we can do, and will ever be able to do, is program very clever imitations of consciousness.

The image of the beast will be a grotesque counterfeit of the breath of life that God gave us, which is fitting as the devil mimics everything about God, and the image will be of a counterfeit Christ. The image also defies God's statement throughout Scripture that idols and false gods have no life or breath in them, nor do they have the power to save.

As an aside, something that's not discussed by Christians is the major implication that arises from AI having consciousness. That is, there'd be no need for God because it would prove that our consciousness isn't the result of being made in the image of God. Our thoughts, ideas, hearts, minds, morality, souls, spirits—everything immaterial about us—would be reduced to nothing more than computer code. I've wondered if this is a reason that the stubbornly unrepentant in the tribulation remain that way. They'll see the quasi-living image of the beast and assume mankind has finally unlocked the secret to coding consciousness thus they don't need God, so they'll continue to shake their fists at God to the end, blind to the truth that it's not AI with consciousness but just another trick of the devil. Revelation 9:20