The EU to control the speed of cars

DWB

https://petersweden.substack.com/p/speed-limiters?s=r

I predicted this several years ago after I bought a used 2017 Cadillac that had several annoying features, one being an irritating alarm that would go off upon reaching 77mph. Now the EU aims to control the speed of cars by requiring all new cars sold to have speed limiters.

"Cars will have a camera onboard that reads the speed signs and uses GPS data to figure out what the speed limit is, and then either limit your speed or give warnings in several different ways.

Car manufacturers have several different options to choose from to implement their Intelligent Speed Assist system.
  • 1. Cascaded acoustic warning.
  • 2. Cascaded vibrating warning.
  • 3. Haptic feedback through the acceleration pedal.
  • 4. Speed control function.
In other words, you can expect to get blinking lights, warning sounds, the gas pedal pushing back against you or the gas pedal vibrating. Or the engine could simply just cut it’s power.

Imagine a seat belt warning system, only much more intrusive (always wear your seat belts folks, but I don’t need my car to tell me that!)"

Big brother is coming quickly. I'm going to keep my Ram truck with the Hemi as long as I can.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Don't most all cars have speed limiters on them in the USA?

Alarms and whatnot would sure be a pain every time you needed to pass a vehicle on a two lane highway... and if you live near a freeway where the speed limit is 80, that 77 mph alarm would indeed become quite annoying...

Aren't there road in Europe where you can drive as fast as you please? I did in Italy and was never ticketed.

Footsteps

Autobahn - German highway, no speed limit.
Safety concern - if a device is installed that limits speed, what happens if you are trying to pass someone on a two lane road, you spot oncoming traffic, and try to accelerate around the car you are now beside, and you can’t accelerate?

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Safety concern - if a device is installed that limits speed, what happens if you are trying to pass someone on a two lane road, you spot oncoming traffic, and try to accelerate around the car you are now beside, and you can’t accelerate?

On the drive between Fairbanks and Anchorage, that's a common occurrence. In recent years they've been installing more passing lanes on that stretch of highway, but still, around the world, there are many such roads where passing slow vehicles is required.

lightofmylife

Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!
On the drive between Fairbanks and Anchorage, that's a common occurrence. In recent years they've been installing more passing lanes on that stretch of highway, but still, around the world, there are many such roads where passing slow vehicles is required.
Slow vehicles just the opposite of speeding the speeders get a ticket for speeding, and the slow piddly people get a ticket for impeding traffic going too slow.

katt

Slow down and get back behind him..or run off the side off the road..

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven

Footsteps

Slow down and get back behind him..or run off the side off the road..
Your side of the road is a sheer cliff with a 1,000 foot drop. The other car is blocked by the high side of the same cliff. The driver of that car is trying to help you, but when you slow down, he slows down because he thinks you are going to keep trying to pass him. If he speeds up, he is trying to help you get back behind him. But you keep second guessing each other, and remain blocking both lanes until the inevitable head-on collision.
Yes there is an answer. But I will wait until others submit answers, then respond with additional problems that will render those answers incorrect as well. Don’t give up!

NewWine2020

https://petersweden.substack.com/p/speed-limiters?s=r

I predicted this several years ago after I bought a used 2017 Cadillac that had several annoying features, one being an irritating alarm that would go off upon reaching 77mph. Now the EU aims to control the speed of cars by requiring all new cars sold to have speed limiters.

"Cars will have a camera onboard that reads the speed signs and uses GPS data to figure out what the speed limit is, and then either limit your speed or give warnings in several different ways.

Car manufacturers have several different options to choose from to implement their Intelligent Speed Assist system.
  • 1. Cascaded acoustic warning.
  • 2. Cascaded vibrating warning.
  • 3. Haptic feedback through the acceleration pedal.
  • 4. Speed control function.
In other words, you can expect to get blinking lights, warning sounds, the gas pedal pushing back against you or the gas pedal vibrating. Or the engine could simply just cut it’s power.

Imagine a seat belt warning system, only much more intrusive (always wear your seat belts folks, but I don’t need my car to tell me that!)"

Big brother is coming quickly. I'm going to keep my Ram truck with the Hemi as long as I can.

Sadly, living in AZ where road rage and literally awful, selfish and clueless drivers are the norm, I kinda don't think this is the worst thing ever proposed.

I'm one of those few dudes who got enuff speeding tickets as a young-un to be over it and, as a result drive the speed limit 90% of the time..it makes you very unpopular w/ the numerous morons in raised pickups who think you should be going 55 mph in the middle lane on a surface street. They let you know how they feel by driving about a foot away from your rear bumper and sometimes they will let you know that your "#1" w/ a fun hand gesture. :)

It would be even better if they had a "driving like a self-important rage monster" sensor that just shorted out these drivers "vehicular-compensator for poor masculine sense of self" for 10 mins after 5 or 6 warnings. :)

But, seriously, yes, the fact that the govt in the EU is implementing this is a very slippery slope and gives them yet more control that they do not deserve and should not have over their citizens.

Carl

So governors control the speed of tractors!
I made this comment figuring that people would figure out the governor is. On a tractor the governor is a fly ball device that works against the throttle. As the engine RPM is increased the governor spins faster and works to push the throttle closed. It is carefully set to allow the engine to speed up til it is at or just above the engine's torque peak.

That is what I always liked about the old 2 cylinder John Deere tractors. They were governed right at their torque peak. While other tractors would lug down somewhat under a heavy load the John Deere would just bark louder and keep going. The funny thing was that all the tractors back then would rev at about the same speed. But to my knowledge the John Deere alone ran at its torque peak.