The end of Christianity in a small Scottish town

ItIsFinished!

Blood bought child of the King of kings.
When I was growing up in the thumb of Michigan our town used to basically shut down on Sundays. Most businesses did not open on that day. It was the same in the town we moved from. Sunday used to be the LORD'S day!
I think that was the last of parents having time to raise their children.
Same my way friend. Everything use to shut down on Sundays. Also , no one EVER mowed their lawns on Sunday.
Oh how I wish that was still the case.
Gone are the days ...

Jan51

Same my way friend. Everything use to shut down on Sundays. Also , no one EVER mowed their lawns on Sunday.
Gone are the days ...
And yet, all that was based on the mistaken idea that Sunday is now the Sabbath--the day of rest. There is no longer a scriptural day of rest--Jesus is our rest, from works, every day. I can pull weeds, mow the lawn, do laundry, work a paid job (after church), with a clear conscience. My day off from work can be on any day of the week.

ItIsFinished!

And yet, all that was based on the mistaken idea that Sunday is now the Sabbath--the day of rest. There is no longer a scriptural day of rest--Jesus is our rest, from works, every day. I can pull weeds, mow the lawn, do laundry, work a paid job (after church), with a clear conscience. My day off from work can be on any day of the week.
I agree, we rest in Jesus .

lismore

At the weekend I visited a small town in Scotland, UK, where I grew up.
Hello! Also being from Scotland I feel your pain. True believers are thin on the ground here. Churches seem to close all around. Across from my church is a nightclub using an old church building and laughing at the fact, doing themed events mocking Christianity. I saw on the facebook profile of a former AOG pastor he was going to the club for a night out and had on his page 'Let's go to worship' :( It was sad to see.

When apostacy is all around us it makes it all the more amazing that we were chosen by the Lord to shine the light in this last hour. Makes it all the more needful that we remain faithful, meet up and encourage other Christians as much as we can :)

JamesSuth

Hello! Also being from Scotland I feel your pain. True believers are thin on the ground here. Churches seem to close all around. Across from my church is a nightclub using an old church building and laughing at the fact, doing themed events mocking Christianity. I saw on the facebook profile of a former AOG pastor he was going to the club for a night out and had on his page 'Let's go to worship' :( It was sad to see.

When apostacy is all around us it makes it all the more amazing that we were chosen by the Lord to shine the light in this last hour. Makes it all the more needful that we remain faithful, meet up and encourage other Christians as much as we can :)
Amen to that!
Yes, it is really sad, it seems that churches are closing or turning to the world at a rate even I find shocking. It is good to know though that there are still faithful believers here :)

Belle of Grace

Longing for Home
You're correct, Jan, but I personally believe that we need a day of rest to step back away from the daily demands on our time and energy. When our country stopped setting aside one day per week for church and just plain old rest, the world has now encroached our lives with no escape. Even on Sundays, if the local football team is scheduled to play that day, several people come to church dressed in clothing with team insignia, colors, etc. This would not ever have been done back in the days when people honored God one day a week instead of the local celebrity football team. Just my 2 cents

ItIsFinished!

You're correct, Jan, but I personally believe that we need a day of rest to step back away from the daily demands on our time and energy. When our country stopped setting aside one day per week for church and just plain old rest, the world has now encroached our lives with no escape. Even on Sundays, if the local football team is scheduled to play that day, several people come to church dressed in clothing with team insignia, colors, etc. This would not ever have been done back in the days when people honored God one day a week instead of the local celebrity football team. Just my 2 cents
Exactly.
This is what I was talking about in my post.
Not that Sunday was the new Sabbath.
Rather, it was just an accepted day of rest for the majority of people in American society in times past. That things shut down. Family's did things on Sunday ect....
I understand most of the reasons as to why the majority worships on Sunday.
However that was never part of my point.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20

Wearing of team apparel in church has been going on for a very long time, at least in Packer Country. 1950s or earlier. Some people wore green and/or gold non-team clothing if they didn't feel right wearing an actual team item in church. Churches had services and Sunday School, where a prayer for the Packers was often included as part of the general prayers. Afterwards, tailgating in the church parking lot for fellowship, and sometimes prayers for the team, especially if not included during the service. If close enough to Lambeau Field, those with tickets went from the church tailgating event :smile :biggrin

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The NFL is actively opposing Sunday morning church with its European games. Timed so they start 0830 Sundays here, and by the time they're done, it's time for pre-game for games in the US.

:furious :rant :mad :wild :frust :mad

:banning :apostasy

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
Gone are the days ...
My mama cooked Sunday dinner before church. After church we ate and I would clean up. That was all the work that was allowed unless 'the ox fell in the ditch'.

After I started working as a waitress or hostess on Sunday, Daddy let up a bit. But he and mama always respected 'The Sabbath'...until they died.

Even now, I don't feel right doing much house or yard work on Sunday. I reserve Sunday afternoon to take my kids to Defy.
All of the years that I worked as a nurse, I never felt bad about working on Sunday.