The edible insects coming to a supermarket near you

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I probably ate bugs when I was little having to run/chase cows. In fact I know I have. I prefer eating my bugs through the chicken.

I ate a few bugs involuntarily while motorcycle riding. I've been told that when I was a toddler I'd escape to the outdoors in my birthday suit and would eat dirt... I have no way of verifying the truth of that...

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Haha Thanks TT:mafia:cool: haha when you live on a farm you tend to try eating weird things mostly from siblings daring you too lolol. Bugs included as well as licking mineral and salt blocks that all the horses and cows have already licked on:lol:lol:lol:lol

After my oldest son worked on a large garden at his elementary school during one summer, he was willing to try anything. That was a good experience for him. They even paid him a little bit from money they got selling crops. We had to buy some, of course...

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Omg.... You cook them alive?? Yucka do! Did the bugs swim in the egg mixture or do they attempt to fly out?
Well since you have the recipe I bet you've tried them. Thanks but no thanks. That's just as bad as chewing up a raw oyster on a cracker with sauce. Still yucky.

Thanks for sharing. Blessings to you for trying this recipe.

No different than dumping a live lobster head-first into boiling water :smile

Ghoti Ichthus

If one goes to the wrong grocery store, one already eats bugs :eek

If one buys processed food, one already eats bugs :eek

Some flavorings, colors, etc. are made from bugs :eek

What's the difference between eating bugs versus bacteria, fungi, viruses, etc., other than size? :eek

Ghoti Ichthus

Edible insects have been available in some stores for years. It's becoming more common here, especially in the Asian, African, and Middle East stores/markets.

@Tall Timbers Wonder when a hamburger or ground beef substitute will be available :mazy

Follow the money . . . always follow the money

"The Insect Industry – Big Insect?
Of course there is an insect industry, the 2 billion of us chowing down on insects are not just looking in their backyard for snacks, they can be purchased. While it is currently only a $600 million market, if it even impacts 1-2% of global beef sales we are looking at a $16 billion market. As it turns out Thailand is the lead country in this food niche, which is a shame because Mexico, our next-door neighbor (think lower transportation costs) “… is home to an estimated 549 species of insects that are safe to eat and nutritious, and the country has a long history of eating insects.”"
https://www.acsh.org/news/2019/09/13/are-insects-new-red-meat-14263

I think BIGBUG is a catchier monikker :lol

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
Some insects are kosher, so those ones can't be that bad for you

Lev. 11 20 “‘All flying insects that walk on all fours are to be regarded as unclean by you. 21 There are, however, some flying insects that walk on all fours that you may eat: those that have jointed legs for hopping on the ground. 22 Of these you may eat any kind of locust, katydid, cricket or grasshopper. 23 But all other flying insects that have four legs you are to regard as unclean.

I'd try something like an ant or a grasshopper if someone offered, but I'm not sure if I'd make it a staple or seek it out on my own.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
@Tall Timbers Wonder when a hamburger or ground beef substitute will be available

They're already convincing people to eat lab grown/vegetable based meat substitute... which of course is anathema to me.

What's the difference between eating bugs versus bacteria, fungi, viruses, etc., other than size?

There is a difference in knowingly eating bugs and other yucky stuff v.s. having it somehow make its way into whatever you think you're eating...

Musician 4 Jesus

Psalms 150 : 1-6 KJV
Some insects are kosher, so those ones can't be that bad for you

Lev. 11 20 “‘All flying insects that walk on all fours are to be regarded as unclean by you. 21 There are, however, some flying insects that walk on all fours that you may eat: those that have jointed legs for hopping on the ground. 22 Of these you may eat any kind of locust, katydid, cricket or grasshopper. 23 But all other flying insects that have four legs you are to regard as unclean.

I'd try something like an ant or a grasshopper if someone offered, but I'm not sure if I'd make it a staple or seek it out on my own.
I've had meal worm's before... . .it tasted like fried chicken strange enough. I've had sugar ants but mostly by accident because they get in your sugar sometimes. lolol