The edible insects coming to a supermarket near you

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
It has long been suggested that we should start eating insects to help the environment, but for many of us it is not a palatable thought. One Israeli firm is hoping to win over the squeamish by adding different flavourings.

Dror Tamir opens a packet of brown, jellied sweets. "Try one," says the boss of food tech firm Hargol.

The little gummies are packed with protein, but not from soy or gelatine. They are instead made from an edible, jumping insect - locusts, which are a type of grasshopper.

"Grasshoppers taste like pecans, mushrooms, coffee and chocolate," adds Mr Tamir. "But with our range of food we can add in different flavours… the gummies come in orange and strawberry flavour."

https://news.yahoo.com/edible-insects-coming-supermarket-near-230151940.html

No thank you...

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven

Andy C

I'll admit I loved roasted and salted Santander ants that I was able to eat a time or two while living in Colombia. This link https://eatyourworld.com/destinations/south_america/colombia/santander/what_to_eat/hormigas_culonas includes some information and a good picture of those delectable ants. I was starving most of the time I was down there, though. Not sure if they would taste as good to me now as they did then.
Great, maybe you can sprinkle them on your next cheeseburger :eek2

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Sorry I don't have the recipe.

Apparently they taste best if captured when they've freshly emerged:

ingredients​

60 freshly emerged 17 year cicadas
3 cups flour
salt and pepper to season flour
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup vegetable oil or slightly salted butter

directions​

Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.

Place the beaten egg in a shallow dish. Place the flour plus desired seasoning in another dish.

Dip the cicadas (preferably still alive) in the beaten egg then roll them in the seasoned flour so they are completely coated. Shake off any excess flour.

Add the coated cicadas to the skillet and cook them, stirring occasionally, until they are golden brown and crisp.

Let drain on paper toweling.

Serve hot.

Batman

Who knows? Perhaps certain bugs can be ground up and placed into a part of a flour type portion of cookies, bread, whatever and would taste great? If I'm starving some if not most bugs would have to be in play. But until things like that happen it's really hard for me to consider voluntary bug eating; directly or indirectly as a recipe ingredient that can be "disguised".

heisable2

ingredients​

3 cups flour
4 eggs, beaten

directions​

Place the beaten egg in a shallow dish. Place the flour plus desired seasoning in another dish.

Dip the cicadas (preferably still alive) in the beaten egg then roll them in the seasoned flour so they are completely coated. Shake off any excess flour.

Add the coated cicadas to the skillet and cook them, stirring occasionally, until they are golden brown and crisp.

Serve hot.
Omg.... You cook them alive?? Yucka do! Did the bugs swim in the egg mixture or do they attempt to fly out?
Well since you have the recipe I bet you've tried them. Thanks but no thanks. That's just as bad as chewing up a raw oyster on a cracker with sauce. Still yucky.

Thanks for sharing. Blessings to you for trying this recipe.

Lynn

Longing for Home

ingredients​

3 cups flour
4 eggs, beaten

directions​

Place the beaten egg in a shallow dish. Place the flour plus desired seasoning in another dish

Serve hot.
Is this recipe original with you, TT, or an old family recipe that was passed down over the years? :mazy

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Omg.... You cook them alive?? Yucka do! Did the bugs swim in the egg mixture or do they attempt to fly out?
Well since you have the recipe I bet you've tried them. Thanks but no thanks. That's just as bad as chewing up a raw oyster on a cracker with sauce. Still yucky.

Thanks for sharing. Blessings to you for trying this recipe.

No, I've never cooked them. I googled for the recipe when a you indicated you didn't have one. I was just providing a service... I'll stick to beef, chicken, and pork, and fish and some wild game when it comes my way...

Musician 4 Jesus

Psalms 150 : 1-6 KJV
It has long been suggested that we should start eating insects to help the environment, but for many of us it is not a palatable thought. One Israeli firm is hoping to win over the squeamish by adding different flavourings.

Dror Tamir opens a packet of brown, jellied sweets. "Try one," says the boss of food tech firm Hargol.

The little gummies are packed with protein, but not from soy or gelatine. They are instead made from an edible, jumping insect - locusts, which are a type of grasshopper.

"Grasshoppers taste like pecans, mushrooms, coffee and chocolate," adds Mr Tamir. "But with our range of food we can add in different flavours… the gummies come in orange and strawberry flavour."

https://news.yahoo.com/edible-insects-coming-supermarket-near-230151940.html

No thank you...
I've tried dried mealworms for chicken's and they tasted like fried chicken....

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
I'll admit I loved roasted and salted Santander ants that I was able to eat a time or two while living in Colombia. This link https://eatyourworld.com/destinations/south_america/colombia/santander/what_to_eat/hormigas_culonas includes some information and a good picture of those delectable ants. I was starving most of the time I was down there, though. Not sure if they would taste as good to me now as they did then.

Yeah, in all seriousness, I bet if one is hungry enough bugs would soon be a staple. :nod

heisable2

No, I've never cooked them. I googled for the recipe when a you indicated you didn't have one. I was just providing a service... I'll stick to beef, chicken, and pork, and fish and some wild game when it comes my way...
Oh dear! I'm sorry it was me who had mentioned that I didn't have the recipe. I didn't mean for TT to look up a recipe. Apparently you didn't understand what I meant and I guess I didn't either. So thank you for stepping up and doing the due diligence of finding the recipe. Maybe one of the readers actually will try it but I think it'll have to wait 17 years but I think they've already gone.