The death of college football

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I think the stigma of “dumb jocks”, has long been disproved. Only 2 percent of college athletes ever make it to the professional level, so the vast majority know their degree is the best thing that will come out of college.

It's my opinion that a large number of college graduates gain little of anything useful at college beyond the degree that says they're a college graduate, including student athletes. So the dumb jock, IMO, is just your average college graduate.

Lastcall

It's my opinion that a large number of college graduates gain little of anything useful at college beyond the degree that says they're a college graduate, including student athletes. So the dumb jock, IMO, is just your average college graduate.
I never attended college, because I was too busy being stupid with my life choices.:oops:. However, 3 years after high school, I made the best choice that has paid off well for the last 44 years…USMC

UntilTheWholeWorldHears

I respectfully disagree. A full ride scholarship including room, board, and meals to get a free education is payment enough. At state funded universities part of your tax dollars are paying that.

My daughter worked her rear end off in high school and received a “full academic scholarship” to a prestigious Georgia college. The scholarship award was $225,000 it was the second highest scholarship awarded to her high school.

Her college tuition was $58,000 a year without housing and meal plan. All students were required to live on campus their sophomore year. She still had to acquire student loans to pay the difference.

The athletic scholarships to her college paid everything. So some kid who barely passed academically but could play with a ball should get free college and a salary? No way.

Where does it stop? They’re already talking of NIL endorsements for high school players. So little Johnny can outrun all the other 12 year olds on his Pop Warner football team. Should he get a Nike deal for millions?
Congrats on your daughter's accomplishments.
Last June the Supreme Court sent a very strong message to the NCAA.
The NCAA model violates Antitrust laws. Because of this, the NCAA has allowed NIL. It's their fault for not acting on behalf of the student-athletes a long time ago. sharing in their profits in an equitable manner should have been mandated years ago.
Clearly, their multi-billion business model takes advantage of the student-athletes.
There's talk of the creation of Super conferences that will break away from the NCAA.
Like it or not, NIL is here to stay and they (NCAA) can blame their greed for it.

3 Nails 4 Given

Sinner saved by the blood of Jesus
NCAA definitely became quite greedy. It was sad to watch an organization that should have been supporting and looking out for the best interests of student athletes instead preferring to line their pockets as their primary business model.
Free room, free food, free college education, and free training facilities should be compensation enough for playing a child’s game. At the college my daughter attended that equals about $300,000 for four years.

That is a salary of $75,000 a year. Much more than a average American earns.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Free room, free food, free college education, and free training facilities should be compensation enough for playing a child’s game. At the college my daughter attended that equals about $300,000 for four years.

I agree 100%. That doesn't diminish the NCAA's business model of helping themselves lavishly while in some case creating barriers for potential college athletes. It's the colleges that offer those incentives to student athletes, not the NCAA.

Lastcall

By saying “playing a childs game”, does that maybe explain why you think they should not make money?

Many colleges costs are far below the costs your daughter attends.

Not every college athlete recieves a full scholarship that covers everything to include room and board.

College football brings in the most money for every major school, and they also offer the highest percentage of full ride scholarships.

Colleges would not “give” away these scholarships unless they new top caliber athletes will bring in the big bucks for the school.

I have always believed they should be paid for their skills which took many years of hard work, sacrifice, and dedication to their sport.

Professional athletes are one of, if not the highest paying jobs in the USA, with many earning more than some top CEOs.

A very small percentage of top college athletes will make it to the professional level, so they have earned the right IMO to be paid while they can.

JMHO