The death of college football

Lastcall

Allowing pros to compete in the Olympics has done a lot to change the Olympics in a negative way, I think. Turning College players in to pros probably is a bad idea.
If we didn't have some pro athletes in the Olympics, we would not be as competitive with the rest of the world, which has used paid athletes for a long time.

DWB

The new NIL policy now puts all the students focus on making money and not on their education of sport. Used to be a paid college education, room, food. Healthcare, books, tutoring, plus playing a game you are supposed to love was enough. Now many athletes compare playing college sports as slavery and have wanted to be paid money for years. I just think it's greed and arrogance to be given all they get but still want more. I guess I'm getting too old for this world.

Lastcall

The new NIL policy now puts all the students focus on making money and not on their education of sport. Used to be a paid college education, room, food. Healthcare, books, tutoring, plus playing a game you are supposed to love was enough. Now many athletes compare playing college sports as slavery and have wanted to be paid money for years. I just think it's greed and arrogance to be given all they get but still want more. I guess I'm getting too old for this world.
I think there needs to be balance. Yes, the top athletes will shift their focus on earning money, vice grades. However, many college athletes barely get enough in room and board to cover basic food needs, but not always enough to fuel big athletes.

Lastcall

The new NIL deal allowing athletes to make money off their name or likeness will be the death of the sport. Greed, envy, coveting, will kill anything.
Interesting take from an article of Fox News. Below is an excerpt and the full article is linked below.

“Without most realizing it, college sports have moved from Communism to capitalism. This is the dynamic undergirding virtually everything you’re seeing happen in college sports right now. We’ve seen a fundamental paradigm shift in college athletic governance, moving from Communism to nearly unfettered capitalism. That has massive consequences for all the stakeholders in college sports — the players, the coaches, the fans, and the schools.

Now let me explain what I mean when I say we’ve moved from communism to capitalism: for its entire history, or at least since the NCAA’s founding, college sports have operated under the principles of communism. A relative handful of people — coaches, administrators, NCAA bureaucrats, and state university athletic departments — became very wealthy, while the vast majority of the valuable labor producing the value — the players — worked for well below market rates. The NCAA was, essentially, the Berlin Wall, keeping everyone in college athletics, at least to a large degree, behind the Iron Curtain, hidden from the free markets of capitalism”

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/college-football-communism-capitalism-chaos

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Interesting take on the subject. I always figured that a free college education and room and board was a pretty good deal for playing ball for the school, but the reality is few ball players probably actually get educated as being an athlete is a demanding job that doesn't leave sufficient time to also be a good student. Sure, most will get a degree, but there may not be much learnedness from their college experience.

UntilTheWholeWorldHears

It's about time players got paid!!! Sorry, it's not ok for the NCAA to continue to make billions and offer players peanuts. I'm all for an education, but not in lieu of some sort of compensation to the players.
No one complains when a Head Coach makes 8, 9, 10 million/ yr in salary, and schools make millions$$$$$$$$$ in revenues generated by the help of the players.
Because of their greed, the NCAA is now in the situation they find themselves in today.
schools have been cheating, and buying players for years!!!! If you think your school doesn't cheat, you're deceived.
NIL pays players above the table. It won't fix all the cheating but it will help.
Think this can be reversed? you're fooling yourself. The the minute they try to reverse this, the NCAA will get hit with the BIGGEST antitrust lawsuit ever, and they will lose big time!
The only hope at this point for college sports is for Congress to get involved.

RonJohnSilver

It's about time players got paid!!! Sorry, it's not ok for the NCAA to continue to make billions and offer players peanuts. I'm all for an education, but not in lieu of some sort of compensation to the players.
No one complains when a Head Coach makes 8, 9, 10 million/ yr in salary, and schools make millions$$$$$$$$$ in revenues generated by the help of the players.
Because of their greed, the NCAA is now in the situation they find themselves in today.
schools have been cheating, and buying players for years!!!! If you think your school doesn't cheat, you're deceived.
NIL pays players above the table. It won't fix all the cheating but it will help.
Think this can be reversed? you're fooling yourself. The the minute they try to reverse this, the NCAA will get hit with the BIGGEST antitrust lawsuit ever, and they will lose big time!

That will assure complete corruption and mismanagement.

3 Nails 4 Given

Sinner saved by the blood of Jesus
I respectfully disagree. A full ride scholarship including room, board, and meals to get a free education is payment enough. At state funded universities part of your tax dollars are paying that.

My daughter worked her rear end off in high school and received a “full academic scholarship” to a prestigious Georgia college. The scholarship award was $225,000 it was the second highest scholarship awarded to her high school.

Her college tuition was $58,000 a year without housing and meal plan. All students were required to live on campus their sophomore year. She still had to acquire student loans to pay the difference.

The athletic scholarships to her college paid everything. So some kid who barely passed academically but could play with a ball should get free college and a salary? No way.

Where does it stop? They’re already talking of NIL endorsements for high school players. So little Johnny can outrun all the other 12 year olds on his Pop Warner football team. Should he get a Nike deal for millions?

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
My daughter worked her rear end off in high school and received a “full academic scholarship” to a prestigious Georgia college. The scholarship award was $225,000 it was the second highest scholarship awarded to her high school.

Her college tuition was $58,000 a year without housing and meal plan. All students were required to live on campus their sophomore year. She still had to acquire student loans to pay the difference.

Your daughter did well. I personally don't believe it's a good idea to get loans to complete college. Better to work your way through if needed. Delay a year if needed to build up some cash. Loans, generally speaking are not a good idea.

When my first daughter was about to start college, I went to all the parent briefings... In one the topic of loans was brought up. It was presented as a given that college loans was the way to go. I asked if it would be better for students who couldn't pay out of pocket to defer college until they could save enough money by working a couple of jobs to take care of at least the first couple of years, and then to continue working while going to school tom earn enough to finish. Following my question there was a moment of silence, then the presenter went back to discussing the loans.

Whenever I read stories of middle aged people still saddled with 6 digit college loans, I'm saddened that they were foolish enough to think taking on the loan was a positive or necessary thing to do.

Lastcall

The athletic scholarships to her college paid everything. So some kid who barely passed academically but could play with a ball should get free college and a salary? No way.
I used to feel the same. However, these athletes make millions of dollars for the colleges they play for. The food allowance alone is not enough to fuel some of the large athletes.

Academic scholarships are great, and I hope many kids will strive to recieve them. However, they dont fill the stadiums nor make the school any money for their academic achievements.

The top money maker for the major universities is through college sports, and the TV contracts that are a result of top athletics abilities.

Im not sure what would be a fair system, or the amount paid to athletes, but they deserve to be paid in addition to their free ride.

Lastcall

Your daughter did well. I personally don't believe it's a good idea to get loans to complete college. Better to work your way through if needed. Delay a year if needed to build up some cash. Loans, generally speaking are not a good idea.

When my first daughter was about to start college, I went to all the parent briefings... In one the topic of loans was brought up. It was presented as a given that college loans was the way to go. I asked if it would be better for students who couldn't pay out of pocket to defer college until they could save enough money by working a couple of jobs to take care of at least the first couple of years, and then to continue working while going to school tom earn enough to finish. Following my question there was a moment of silence, then the presenter went back to discussing the loans.

Whenever I read stories of middle aged people still saddled with 6 digit college loans, I'm saddened that they were foolish enough to think taking on the loan was a positive or necessary thing to do.
I paid about 75 percent of my two sons college, and did not take a loan. I did not like writing checks to the schools, but I also did not want to have decades of debt. My sons did take loans out for their portion of the costs, but both paid them off within a few years.

Lastcall

Sure, most will get a degree, but there may not be much learnedness from their college experience.
I think the stigma of “dumb jocks”, has long been disproved. Only 2 percent of college athletes ever make it to the professional level, so the vast majority know their degree is the best thing that will come out of college.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I paid about 75 percent of my two sons college, and did not take a loan. I did not like writing checks to the schools, but I also did not want to have decades of debt. My sons did take loans out for their portion of the costs, but both paid them off within a few years.

For my kids, I paid for anything that wasn't covered by scholarship money or ROTC funds. I got off pretty easy. All four either had full or nearly full academic scholarships or 4 yr ROTC scholarships. Even then it cost me a pretty penny, but only a tiny bit of what it would have cost if I'd paid 100% for all of them. One daughter had so much scholarship money that she was making money by going to school. I had her keep the extra and paid for her 5th year to complete a Masters, which wasn't covered by scholarships.