The Day of the Lord and Hour of the Rapture

ranman33

I disagree with his premise that the rapture is the first event of the day of the Lord. He uses several New Testament references but they actually speak of the day of Christ or the day of our Lord Jesus Christ, which speaks of the rapture and not the day of the Lord: I Cor. 1:6-8, 5:4-5, II Cor. 1:13-14. I really disagree with his interpretation of those three passages.

Paul distinguishes the two events clearly in II Thes. 2:1-2, first mentioning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering to Him (the rapture), then speaking of the day of the Lord. Two different things.

The day of the Lord, the day of wrath, the 70th week of Daniel, which is clearly seven years, begins with the signing of the covenant by the Antichrist, Dan. 9:27. The rapture is never presented as happening simultaneously with this event. In I Thes. Paul says the rapture happens first. In 4:14-18, he tells of the rapture happening. Then, in chronological order, he speaks of what follows, 5:1-9. After the church is gone, the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night (Jesus is never said to come for the church like a thief in the night). 4, that day will not overtake us; we, the church, will be gone. That is pretty clear that the rapture is not part of the day of the Lord. The day of the Lord is the day of wrath, and we are not destined to have any part in that day, 5:9.

Regarding a few other things he says.

I don't believe the rapture is found in the Olivet Discourse, but I know some do. He claims that both views cannot be right. Actually I think they can. Many Bible passages have more than one layer of meaning, many have several. I believe the primary meaning of "no man knows the day or hour" refers to the second coming, but I could see that there could be application to the rapture. Another passage that leads to several differing views that could all apply is the fig tree and "this generation."

He sees Mat. 24:36-51 as rapture verses, which Jesus addresses out of order. I believe Mat. 24-25 are in chronological order and that those do not speak of the rapture because Jesus was speaking to and about Israel, not the church.

He speaks of the ark representing Jesus and the rapture, yet fails to notice that the flood did not happen the moment they entered the ark, just as God's judgment--the day of the Lord--does not begin the moment of the rapture.

He refers to the rapture and subsequent tribulation as the two end-time comings of Christ--???

In his discussion of eating, drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, he adds the words "life is basically normal," which many do, but which is not in the words or meaning of the text. Life may not be normal but we know business continues to take place because receiving the mark allows people to buy and sell and participate in the economy.

He believes, as many do, that Mat. 24:40-41 refers to those left behind at the rapture, but because this chapter is indeed in chronological order, we know this takes place at the second coming, and is explained in more detail in Mat. 13:37-43 and 47:50, when the wicked who remain alive at the second coming are removed alive and thrown into hell, kind of a reverse rapture.

He says that to watch/be alert and be ready in Mat. 24:42-51 is equivalent to speaking of salvation. I don't think so. Jesus didn't warn them to be saved, to believe, to receive, to be born again; He is speaking not to the church age but to the Old Testament dispensation, which will be in play in the tribulation as the last seven years of God's plan for Israel is completed, Dan. 9:24-27. Not having the indwelling Holy Spirit or eternal security, which is only for the church, they must be living righteously when He returns; this is elaborated on in Mat. 25:1-13, the parable of the ten virgins, and Rev. 14:12, 16:15. Only those who are doing that will be "counted worthy" (KJV), which I think is better translated in the NASB as "have strength," to escape all these things that are about to take place, Luke 21:36. He says that means to escape the tribulation, but I think it means to make it alive to the end, to not die in all the disasters and persecution.

I do agree with him that Jesus hinted at the rapture a few times.

ranman33

Yes, that is what I said, "the day of the Lord Jesus" refers to the Rapture. I realize they are two different events separated by some time. How much time, we don't know. The Old Testament never mentioned the Rapture, only Jacob's Trouble, Day of the Lord, aka the Tribulation. I believe once Paul established the Rapture event, it became a part of the supernatural events of the "day of the Lord." They are two separate events but are both part of the same "day" (period of time) where God intervenes in the affairs of mankind. It's kind of like "night" and "day" are two separate events, but both are part of the 24-hour "day". The Second Coming is also part of the day of the Lord. Anyway, I respect your opinion on this matter. It's not the main point of the article.

The Rapture is not what starts the seven-year Tribulation, as there will be some amount of time that transpires between it and the "confirming of the covenant." I believe the day of the Lord will come in like thief in the night for "when they say, Peace and safety! then sudden destruction come upon them." However, the Rapture, which is the first "hour" of the day, will also come in the same way, especially for unbelievers. Even believers, who do not know the day of the Rapture will be caught off guard. We know a general timeframe, but we can't know the exact time of the supernatural "break-in."

During the Olivet discourse, Jesus was speaking to his apostles who were Jews but were also the first Christians. He was discussing the end of the age for Israel and the entire world. He was actually explaining how the end of Daniel's 70th seven/week was to transpire. This will affect not only Israel but every nation. It is my opinion that he not only discussed the entire Tribulation and Second Coming but the Rapture as well. However, I tried to present both views, for those who believe the Rapture is included in the Olivet discourse and for those who don't. It makes sense to me that since Jesus answered their questions out of order, that he also talked about the two end-time Comings of Christ (Rapture and Second Coming) out of order. He talks in chronological order about the Great Tribulation and then the Coming of the Son of Man, but then Jesus tells them the parable of the Fig Tree, which I believe is the division point between the two Comings of Christ. He talked about the Second Coming first, and then he mentions the Rapture after the parable of the fig tree which represents the conditions (signs) before the end of the age. Part of my sentence regarding the "Rapture and subsequent Tribulation" got deleted. It should have read, "Before the Rapture and subsequent Tribulation, and the Second Coming (the two end-time comings of Christ)...Sorry about that.

You are correct that people who have the mark will be buying and selling after the mid-point of the Tribulation, but towards Christ's Second Coming after all the judgments from God, war, pestilence, etc., people will just be trying to survive. They will not be living a happy life of marrying and burying land, tilling and reaping, etc. It sounds like activities that are more prevalent during the days before the Rapture and not the Second Coming.

Before anyone is thrown into hell, they will be gathered together at the "sheep and goat judgments" and then judged. The goats will then be thrown into Hell.

Regarding your last point, I was quoting Dr. Fruchtenbaum who was making the point that only those who accept the Messiah before the Rapture of the Church can be ready and watching. We, as Christians, are not to be watching and waiting for the Tribulation. I suggest reading it again to see what he is actually trying to say.

Thanks for your comments. I know this is a controversial issue, and that is why we have a poll on Pete Garcia's site, Rev310.com, asking "Is the topic of these passages referring to the Second Advent of Christ or the coming of Christ at the pre-tribulation Rapture." So far the pre-tribulation Rapture passage is leading the Second Coming Passage by 81% to 19%.

Back