The Cylons are Here - Boston Dynamics Newest - "Parkour"

Awaiting Transport

From the robots dancing to the Contours' hit record "Do You Love Me?" of 1962 to running the Parkour obstacle course complete with back flips, it's all carefully choreographed where each step and arm movement, etc, has exact 'coordinates in space' they have to hit and the microsecond (maybe hundredth of a second?) that it has to occur in. Proof of that is the marks on 5 angular boards in a semi-circle that they run around in the obstacle course. Their feet hit the same place every time. Seeing their version of the gymnastics balance beam in the video, I wonder if they could choreograph Simone Biles on the beam and the robots not crash.

Thus far, the only autonomous things the robots do is to stay upright by means a a bunch of sensors that trigger minor movement motors to adjust point of balance, center of gravity, etc. Some of the earlier Boston Dynamics videos show the robots falling over more often than not. They are still fine tuning the upright 'balance' thing.

But certainly, though, they have likely started programming full autonomy into them so they could 'tell' the dog robot to fetch the green ball in the far corner and the dog robot will travel over various terrain obstacles and get the green ball and bring it back.

In my opinion, it's still 10 years or more before they can come up with a fully autonomous 'Terminator' aka Arnold Schwarzenegger. In the mean time, though, it won't be long before they can actually do search and rescue, smash through doors to get the bad guys (anti-vaxxers?) and whatever else can be done with less than perfect precision.

LibertyBelle

Cracked.
From the robots dancing to the Contours' hit record "Do You Love Me?" of 1962 to running the Parkour obstacle course complete with back flips, it's all carefully choreographed where each step and arm movement, etc, has exact 'coordinates in space' they have to hit and the microsecond (maybe hundredth of a second?) that it has to occur in. Proof of that is the marks on 5 angular boards in a semi-circle that they run around in the obstacle course. Their feet hit the same place every time. Seeing their version of the gymnastics balance beam in the video, I wonder if they could choreograph Simone Biles on the beam and the robots not crash.

Thus far, the only autonomous things the robots do is to stay upright by means a a bunch of sensors that trigger minor movement motors to adjust point of balance, center of gravity, etc. Some of the earlier Boston Dynamics videos show the robots falling over more often than not. They are still fine tuning the upright 'balance' thing.

But certainly, though, they have likely started programming full autonomy into them so they could 'tell' the dog robot to fetch the green ball in the far corner and the dog robot will travel over various terrain obstacles and get the green ball and bring it back.

In my opinion, it's still 10 years or more before they can come up with a fully autonomous 'Terminator' aka Arnold Schwarzenegger. In the mean time, though, it won't be long before they can actually do search and rescue, smash through doors to get the bad guys (anti-vaxxers?) and whatever else can be done with less than perfect precision.

I suspect they're eons ahead of what they actually show us.

I remember when these bots had to be on wires, and they had to run tracks overhead, and their range was extremely limited. Then not too long ago (at least it feels like it wasn't so long ago, it may be longer than I'm thinking), they got them wireless.

The dancing was beautifully terrifying.

This new stuff - You'd swear it's dudes in costumes.

The only thing that makes me feel any better about it is what you said - Maybe it's just very coordinated. All I can see is them loose on the streets, and all manner of Minority Report scenarios.

If they were smaller, and cute, I would love to have one. These big guys - too spooky.