The Coming Destruction of Damascus

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Chemical weapons effects dissipate over time. Most likely it would be something else, I think.

This is true of non-persistent chemical warfare agents.

There are also persistent chemical warfare agents, which hang around for a long time.

They have different tactical and strategic uses. Examples; persistent agents can be used for long-term area denial, whereas non-persistent can be used for short-term area denial. Either can also be used to kill and incapacitate the enemy, and degrade enemy performance due to hampering effects of protective gear. Various individual agents and classes of chemical agents have various uses and advantages.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Milit
If you want to know whats really going on over there, always talk to a missionary that has spent many years in the region, they know things the so called news folks never heard of, I'd love to have a ham radio, it's another way to find out what's really happening...
Military with significant contact with locals, Peace Corps, aid workers, foreign workers with signifcant contact with locals, and underground church members also good sources of information :smile Those with the most/best info also tend to keep mouths shut unless you and that person already have a trusted relationship and you also keep mouth shut.

athenasius

2 things we know from the Scripture about the destruction of Damascus

It's overnight. That eliminates a slow destruction like what has been happening. This is from evening to morning. One night.

It's permanent. It becomes uninhabitable. Like Chernobyl.

Well we know more than 2 things, but those help to limit the possibilities. It is overnight and it is permanent.

Hiftobaf

Could be the asteroid impact of Revelation 8. I doubt very much that we will be here to see it. I think it likely will happen after the Ezekiel 38 war (also after the Rapture).

Isaiah 17:4-11 sounds like it's talking about the second half of the Tribulation so I place the destruction of Damascus a little before the Tribulation midpoint.

daygo

2 things we know from the Scripture about the destruction of Damascus

It's overnight. That eliminates a slow destruction like what has been happening. This is from evening to morning. One night.

It's permanent. It becomes uninhabitable. Like Chernobyl.

Well we know more than 2 things, but those help to limit the possibilities. It is overnight and it is permanent.
Well said athenasius and it hasn't happened yet as some think it has.

athenasius

Isaiah 17:4-11 sounds like it's talking about the second half of the Tribulation so I place the destruction of Damascus a little before the Tribulation midpoint.
I wouldn't go that far, placing it in the second half --I'm open to hearing your reasoning on that-- I don't mean it can't be the second half, but I don't see anything in the text that would place it there precisely as opposed to any other point in the post Rapture time period- but I agree with your point below.
I'd say so. There isn't anything about Isaiah 17 that indicates it is pre-rapture.

The language of God speaking thru Isaiah about turning Israel to Him

First off the "in that day" language often means The Day of the Lord, which is usually referring to the Tribulation or Jacobs Trouble. That isn't specifying one particular part of the Tribulation, it's usually taken to mean the whole 7 years.

v 7 God says this:
In that day people will look to their Maker
and turn their eyes to the Holy One of Israel.

This is fulfilled during the Tribulation. It suggests that they are turning their eyes to God after this event.

but it doesn't exclude the possibility that it could happen just before or during the Rapture.

The event takes place in the 12 hour span of a single 24 hour period. From evening to morning. Verse 14

In the evening, sudden terror!
Before the morning, they are gone!
This is the portion of those who loot us,
the lot of those who plunder us.

Which means that Damascus may be gradually partly destroyed as we see now, but there is coming a single day, in the evening, when it starts, till the morning dawns the next day, Damascus is destroyed from being a city. Leaving the oldest inhabited city a ruinous heap.