The chosen tv show

kathymendel

I personally love it. But accept that one must "work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure." If the Spirit convicts you not to watch, listen. I have not found that to be the case for me thus far.

I accept that it has "extra" in it that is not in the Bible, but I have not found the "extra" to contradict or go against Scripture. I mean, we don't usually take issue if a Nativity story shows baby Jesus crying and say, "Well, the Bible doesn't say He cried, so this isn't Biblical and I'm not going to watch it anymore." or assume He didn't have a childhood because there are no instances in Scripture of Him being a toddler. I love how Jesus is portrayed--warm, gentle, kind, forgiving, funny. Someone you WANT to be with.

I love the scenery and seeing the customs of the time. I love the array of ethnicities and different types of people shown. It brings life to Scripture and history I've not seen in any other Christian shows or films, which I find to usually be stilted and morose. This show is JOYFUL. I always come away lifted and renewed in spirit after watching it. I literally cry every time because I get so overwhelmed with love for Jesus and what He did for me.

ETA: I read the posted article about the series and have some of my own perspectives. If I'm led, I will post about why I disagree with the points the author makes.
Thank you, Roger That............ you articulated things I wasn't able to.
I agree with you wholeheartedly.

ozaprah

I'm a bit late to the party with The Chosen, having only started season 1 in the last week, but now caught up to the current episode. I have avoided any reading or looking at reviews around it.
My impression.. I think it's fantastic and is going to be used mightily.
I fully realize the personal backstories are not necessarily biblical and approach it with this in mind.
What it has done is make me want to delve into the Gospels again. I read the book of Mark while at work yesterday and it came alive again. Looking forward to the other three this week!
The final scene in Ep1 Season 1 where Mary was called by name is one of the most powerful few minutes in television I've ever seen. Absolutely beautiful.

OneDayNearer

Forgiven Much
I don't know much about The Chosen but both Season 1 and Season 2 are currently on sale for about $20 each so I came here first to see if anyone had posted about it. After reading this thread, I'm not sure if I will buy it or not.

cheeky200386

What caused the change in your thinking?
I didn't like how they showed Jesus preparing and practicing for the Sermon on the Mount, how they showed John the Baptist questioning Jesus' methods for his ministry. Having John the Baptist meeting Jesus was added outside of what scripture says and only adds confusion. Jesus was shown almost disagreeing with John's desire to call out Herod's sin. None of that sat well with me.

Lynn

Longing for Home
Having John the Baptist meeting Jesus was added outside of what scripture says and only adds confusion. Jesus was shown almost disagreeing with John's desire to call out Herod's sin. None of that sat well with me.
Wouldn't have with me either. There have been so many positive comments about The Chosen here on the RF board. Perhaps they've not yet viewed the scenes you describe here.

Amethyst

Angie ... †
Wouldn't have with me either. There have been so many positive comments about The Chosen here on the RF board. Perhaps they've not yet viewed the scenes you describe here.
I cannot overlook adding details to the scriptures that simply aren't there. Some people can, thinking the good outweighs the bad.
"Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater."

I see it differently. I still remember things from biblical movies I saw as a kid that didn't actually happen and I mistakenly think they did.
I want to remember bible truths not falsehoods and myths.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
I cannot overlook adding details to the scriptures that simply aren't there. Some people can, thinking the good outweighs the bad.
"Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater."

I see it differently. I still remember things from biblical movies I saw as a kid that didn't actually happen and I mistakenly think they did.
I want to remember bible truths not falsehoods and myths.

Yeah i remember having those feelings when watching that movie "The greatest story ever told"

Matthew6:33

Withstand in the evil day. Eph 6:13
I haven't seen season 2 yet. I am sad to hear what others are saying about it. I agree that we should not be adding anything to the scripture but unfortunately it is the world we live in.

We live in a snapchatting, fb posting, yt video streaming world. With the advance in these technologies and the sociology that comes with it, it's inevitable (and prophetic).

I love a good Spirit filled bible study but many in the world do not. I hope shows like this will at least be used by the Holy Spirit to get people interested in knowing the real Jesus found in scripture. All the others are just watered down imposters.

Lynn

Longing for Home
I was curious to see what others thought of season 2. For a while I was concerned I was being too harsh, but I just don't know.
Cheeky, if you didn't feel right while you were viewing some of the scenes in season 2, then you need not worry about being too harsh. You have every right to share your reactions to a program that promotes itself as biblical. You're just wanting to be discerning, and that's a good thing. :hug

kathymendel

Sorry, The Chosen has never promoted itself as being fully biblical. They have said from the beginning that they have inserted non-biblical material into their programs............. to round out the human characters involved. They have always admitted they have added non-existent characters to round out the story. They have constantly encouraged their viewers to go to the bible and dig deeper after watching their shows. And, the bottom line is that people are doing so. This program is reaching millions around the world so they can get a glimpse of Jesus and His purpose for coming to this world, so they will seek further............ and, they are doing so. Just like anything else.........it's not enough to just watch it...... it's not enough to just sit in a pew and swallow a pastor's interpretation of the bible either............we must study The Word to ensure our full knowledge.

In a world where the churches are failing miserably to spread the gospel, this is a new way for it to get it out there. We are in the last of the last days, and
we need to step out of the old boxes and allow new ways of reaching the lost. From what I am reading from viewers, they are returning to reading their bibles, and learning more about God's Word and God's Plan. AND, they are reaching out to share what they are seeing and learning with others around them. I believe God is blessing the efforts being made by this show. jmho

Matthew6:33

Withstand in the evil day. Eph 6:13
Sorry, The Chosen has never promoted itself as being fully biblical. They have said from the beginning that they have inserted non-biblical material into their programs............. to round out the human characters involved. They have always admitted they have added non-existent characters to round out the story. They have constantly encouraged their viewers to go to the bible and dig deeper after watching their shows. And, the bottom line is that people are doing so. This program is reaching millions around the world so they can get a glimpse of Jesus and His purpose for coming to this world, so they will seek further............ and, they are doing so. Just like anything else.........it's not enough to just watch it...... it's not enough to just sit in a pew and swallow a pastor's interpretation of the bible either............we must study The Word to ensure our full knowledge.

In a world where the churches are failing miserably to spread the gospel, this is a new way for it to get it out there. We are in the last of the last days, and
we need to step out of the old boxes and allow new ways of reaching the lost. From what I am reading from viewers, they are returning to reading their bibles, and learning more about God's Word and God's Plan. AND, they are reaching out to share what they are seeing and learning with others around them. I believe God is blessing the efforts being made by this show. jmho
One of my struggles is the fine line of dogma, legalism, and discernment. I agree with your line of thinking. God does not always work in ways that we think He should. He owes none of us an explanation for what He does and how He does it. This is where our faith comes in and it is stretched and formed into what He desires. How many examples of this are found in scripture? -- hundreds if not thousands.

I also find it fascinating that the Church is a body with different parts. Some parts have an easier time with certain things than others. We would be wise to remember this. God gets glory in our weakness.