The chosen tv show

cheeky200386

If you go to several of the Facebook fan pages you will find comments from all kinds of people with all kinds of backgrounds.......
even dyed in the wool atheists......... who have watched this show, and have had their hearts and minds changed. People who have found salvation and
redemption. It reaches out to the unsaved and untaught, and many of them watch it and pick up their bibles to learn more. As all we, who are Christians, should do also.There are many unsaved who will never step foot into a church building.........but, they will watch this on tv at home. This show could be
the closest thing to a revival we will ever see before the rapture. Many of you complain about this show, but are still attending and supporting
churches and pastors who are way more off base with the gospel. Are you checking what you are being taught to see if it lines up perfectly
with scripture? Are you denouncing them if it is tweaked a bit? The fact is, Dallas and his team have made it very clear that they have embellished the characters,
and they encourage everyone to turn to scripture and read for themselves the Word. It is in watching the personal backgrounds of the disciples, and the
growing relationship with Jesus that brings the viewers to their knees and to tears as they watch. Everyone sees themselves in one or more of the
characters.......... I don't understand why Christians think things have to be done by rote and rules - much like the Pharisees - that have been popular for
years and years and generations of "tradition"......... but, were not present in the early church at all. Yet, they condemn a new vision of reaching out to the unsaved and perishing of today. Sorry for the rant, but some of these posts above really upset me.

ETA: I have seen very few people come to salvation in the church I've attended for over the three+ years ............maybe ten baptisms, total. I have seen thousands
share their testimonies on line since this show began, from around the globe. I would much rather support The Chosen ministry than the dead church building that cannot grow because they fail to preach the fulness of God's Word. They only preach what tickles the ears - a social gospel.
My pastor does teach from the Bible and does not compromise. I have spoken up about errors in doctrine at precious churches. Dozens have been saved and baptized during the pandemic at my church. Sound like you're at the wrong church.

Changing what the Bible says is not Ok. They added a woman in the scene where the paralyzed man was dropped through the roof. The Bible account only says it was men. Why change that?! This is just one of many changes.

In season 2 they depict Jesus preparing for the Sermon on the Mount. Excuse me?! He's the Word but doesn't know what he's going to say to people in how to live?! Get out of here. Call me a pharisee all you want, I will stand for the Bible and what God says.

kathymendel

We will lovingly have to agree to disagree on this, I suppose.
As long as this program is reaching the unchurched and causing many people to be saved, I will support it.
As long as it is reaching believers and renewing their faith and walk with the Lord, I will support it.
A lot of churches today are not accomplishing that.
I'll let God determine if it is of value......... I believe He will, as I know He desires all to be saved.

cheeky200386

As long as this program is reaching the unchurched and causing many people to be saved, I will support it.
As long as it is reaching believers and renewing their faith and walk with the Lord, I will support it.
I'll let God determine if it is of value......... I believe He will, as I know He desires all to be saved.
This is what many of Charismatic and NAR churches claim. Many are getting "saved" thus it is good and must be right. That is a dangerous mentality. I hear this from female pastors too.

If they added the Gospel at every episode, I would be happier but that isn't happening. Only the Gospel saves.

Wings Like Eagles

I've "chosen" not to watch "The Chosen"...not crazy about it. I'll stick to the bible.
Bear in mind if you do watch it, it is VERY loosely based on the bible.
Here's an article stating it is not biblical (we already knew that, but just posting for anyone interested)
Is "The Chosen" biblical?
While it may have some merit, it is troublesome that it takes such liberty with the very word of God in order to please those who belong to this world. The Lord has the last word on the temptation to add or subtract from the words of God, when He responds to the devil, in this way: "No! The Scriptures say, 'Mankind does not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God'." (Matthew 4:4 emphasis mine). As with all of His quotations of Scripture, during the Temptation, Jesus quotes from the Book of Deuteronomy to refute the devil. In this case, He is stating Deuteronomy 8:3. The Jews well understood the importance of preserving the word of God exactly as stated. They had elaborate rituals for ensuring that the scribes faithfully copied every word of God. Those traditions were carried forward and, as a result, the Dead Sea Scrolls show us that the Torah of Jesus' day was the same one that can be seen today in the Septuagint (the Old Testament in the Koine Greek of Jesus' day).

Wings Like Eagles

You do have a point in that the Apostle Paul used a Greek quotation in his discourse with the Greek philosophers on Mars Hill. But, over all, I think it is important to be VERY careful not to take liberty with Scripture. Making Mary Magdalene the "thirteenth disciple" is a bridge much too far for me. It skirts very close to some parts of Gnostic thought. Gnosticism is an enemy of the truth. One of Satan's favorite tactics is to blend the truth with lies. It is important to remember that.

annieforjesus

I've made the choice to not watch the show for my reasons...I have honestly become so sensitive to all of the false teaching that's being given out that it just hurts me to see the gospel changed in any way or to be taken lightly..but that's where I'm at..losing one of my best Christian friends of over 25 years, someone I studied with and prayed with, because she and her pastor husband have fallen under the spell of the Rick Warren lie, has caused me to draw even nearer to Jesus for comfort and anything I see being promoted that's not Biblical won't be anything I can watch or listen to.

kathymendel

Sorry.............I mis-stated that. I shouldn't have said "many of you". I should have said that many believers are remaining in lukewarm churches where the teaching is not sound, yet those same people are the ones saying The Chosen is not sound. They run down this program on social media, but they don't even confront the things in their own churches. I know there are good churches out there, but they are getting harder and harder to find. This is a positive program that is reaching the lost and the backslidden, and changing lives as they come/come back to saving faith. I don't understand this backlash. Yes, it's a different form of communication, but geez............

Psalm37v4

If they are not getting the way of salvation right, then are they really changing lives? Also, I wonder if those who’ve been changed by it realize it is not faithful to the word of God. It does matter to Him. To say it does not is like saying it’s OK for ppl who follow false teachers to stay with them bc they changed their lives.

God wants us to share the Gospel and scriptures but also not take it out of context nor distort it.

Last edited:

cheeky200386

If they are not getting the way of salvation right, then are they really changing lives? Also, I wonder if those who’ve been changed by it realize it is not faithful to the word of God. It does matter to Him. To say it does not is like saying it’s OK for ppl who follow false teachers to stay with them bc they changed their lives.

God wants us to share the Gospel and scriptures but also not take it out of context nor distort it.
That's my biggest concern. I was supporting it because it opened up conversation with my lost sister. She is super liberal and loves LGBT everything. She loves The Chosen and I haven't see her convicted. I pray the Lord will use the Show to lead her to his Word. I'm concerned many "cultural" Christians will be comfortable with the show and think they are all set. Or that children will think these things are in the Bible.

I am praying the Director corrects things with future episodes and gets some serious conviction. God needs to be glorified as well as the sufficiency of scripture. His portrayal of Jesus Christ is becoming disturbing unfortunately.

Misty S

Nobody is saved by watching a show or believing false things presented in a show. They are not saved by seeing a phony image of Jesus in the moon and having a near out of body, emotionally overcharged experience. They are not saved by some strange non/anti Biblical incident.

They are saved by the simple Gospel revealed in absolute terms in the Word. Does that limit God? No. That is the limit that our God himself put on the validation of salvation. It is a limitation that if you break it, it will send you straight to Hell, no matter how many times you say "I love Jesus" or wear "Jesus is awesome!" t-shirts. It is a very specific and formulated event. No other. Period. A sobering reminder for anyone that would argue from numbers, therefore alive and saved:

Matthew 7: 21-23

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Professing "believers" need to take note of the truth starting yesterday. It is the one thing that non of us can afford to get wrong.

Matthew6:33

Withstand in the evil day. Eph 6:13
I saw the first season and I liked it. It is much better than the other garbage on TV. God is able to use it. Just like He has (quite easily) used the garbage in all of our lives to get us on the right track. Lets make an effort to not get divided and angry over something as silly as this. Just my 2 cents.

Lynn

Longing for Home
Lets make an effort to not get divided and angry over something as silly as this
Matthew, I'm not thinking that people here are getting angry with one another. They're merely expressing their own personal perspective on The Chosen. Some of the members here who are defending The Chosen are dearly loved and have contributed much that is good and godly over the years at RF. Same thing can be said about the others who have posted in opposition to The Chosen. We're family, and family doesn't always see eye to eye on everything coming down the pike, but at the end of the day, we're still family and still love one another. After all, we are the Bride of Christ. :hug

RogerThat

I personally love it. But accept that one must "work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure." If the Spirit convicts you not to watch, listen. I have not found that to be the case for me thus far.

I accept that it has "extra" in it that is not in the Bible, but I have not found the "extra" to contradict or go against Scripture. I mean, we don't usually take issue if a Nativity story shows baby Jesus crying and say, "Well, the Bible doesn't say He cried, so this isn't Biblical and I'm not going to watch it anymore." or assume He didn't have a childhood because there are no instances in Scripture of Him being a toddler. I love how Jesus is portrayed--warm, gentle, kind, forgiving, funny. Someone you WANT to be with.

I love the scenery and seeing the customs of the time. I love the array of ethnicities and different types of people shown. It brings life to Scripture and history I've not seen in any other Christian shows or films, which I find to usually be stilted and morose. This show is JOYFUL. I always come away lifted and renewed in spirit after watching it. I literally cry every time because I get so overwhelmed with love for Jesus and what He did for me.

ETA: I read the posted article about the series and have some of my own perspectives. If I'm led, I will post about why I disagree with the points the author makes.

Last edited:

RogerThat

There is an app for it that you use to stream it to your smart TV, Roku, etc. You have to add the app/channel to your streaming device. It is a bit clunky how it works

Jan51

Or I have also clicked on the Facebook link or the link in the email they send me. Older episodes are sometimes played on the Mormon channel, BYU DirecTV 374.