The Angel of the Lord

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
Is this an old testament appearance of Jesus? The responses people have to the Angel of the Lord seem to indicate they believe they are seeing God himself. The first example that comes to mind is Hagar who says "have I seen the One Who Sees Me" right after she gives that name to God

The word angel is throwing me off a bit, but it just means messenger in Hebrew, correct? I could see Jesus relaying messages for the Father and interacting with people personally

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
What about passages like in Daniel with the furnace and lion's den where it doesn't specifically use that name?

28 Then Nebuchadnezzar said, “Praise be to the God of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, who has sent his angel and rescued his servants! They trusted in him and defied the king’s command and were willing to give up their lives rather than serve or worship any god except their own God. Daniel 3:28

22 My God sent his angel, and he shut the mouths of the lions. They have not hurt me, because I was found innocent in his sight. Nor have I ever done any wrong before you, Your Majesty.” Daniel 6:22

Can we base this off of the usage of the singular angel instead of "one of his angels" and say this was Jesus, or is that using the English grammar too much?

Steve53

What about passages like in Daniel with the furnace and lion's den where it doesn't specifically use that name?

28 Then Nebuchadnezzar said, “Praise be to the God of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, who has sent his angel and rescued his servants! They trusted in him and defied the king’s command and were willing to give up their lives rather than serve or worship any god except their own God. Daniel 3:28

22 My God sent his angel, and he shut the mouths of the lions. They have not hurt me, because I was found innocent in his sight. Nor have I ever done any wrong before you, Your Majesty.” Daniel 6:22

Can we base this off of the usage of the singular angel instead of "one of his angels" and say this was Jesus, or is that using the English grammar too much?
Without a definite article such as "the" used, the classical interpretation of the verses above would indicate that it was not Jesus.

Steve53

That's interesting. I've always heard and been told that it was Jesus who walked in the fire with the three thrown into it
This a case where the translation into English leaves us with a less than desirable degree of clarity on the subject. The Aramaic seems to suggest a son of God as in the corporate "sons" of God and that would certainly suggest an Angel, but not necessarily Jesus.

Armor of Light

Praising my Savior all the day long!
That's interesting. I've always heard and been told that it was Jesus who walked in the fire with the three thrown into it
One of my favorite stories to read , I always thought it was Jesus in the furnace with them, NKJV Daniel 3:25 “Look!” he answered, “I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire; and they are not hurt, and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God.”

Last edited:

Jan51

Many commentators believe this is indeed the angel of the Lord, and some say the text leaves room for it to be either. Some also say it is just an angel. I don't think we can know for sure. The text doesn't say who it was--it says who Nebuchadnezzar thought it was.

Back