The American Cancer Society

DWB

I just wanted to give a big thumbs up to the American Cancer Society. Recently my 38-year-old son was diagnosed with stage 3 throat cancer. He is currently undergoing radiation and chemotherapy in Middle Tennessee.

The Society operates a Hope House for cancer patients and a loved one to stay during the weeks of daily treatments. The House is similar to a hotel except there is a large kitchen facility where four different families could all cook Thanksgiving dinner at the same time. Usually most are just having soup, or something quick and easy, but the opportunity is there. There are large day rooms with big screen tv's, an exercise room, a game type room, in addition to very nice hotel type rooms with phones and cable tv. Perhaps the greatest service is transportation to and from all Dr. appointments which has been a lifesaver to me. As both my wife and I both work full time, the daily transportation needs for seven weeks would require major changes. All is provided free of charge to any cancer patient.

What a great and worthy organization for helping families when needed the most. Thank you again!!!!

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
Glad he is getting good care. Sounds like a very nice place.

What you describe sounds a lot like the Ronald McDonald in Chapel Hill NC.
We stayed there years ago and were very grateful for the services they provided.

Edit to add...you really don't know how much places like these are needed and appreciated until you need it yourself.

JamesSuth

I just wanted to give a big thumbs up to the American Cancer Society. Recently my 38-year-old son was diagnosed with stage 3 throat cancer. He is currently undergoing radiation and chemotherapy in Middle Tennessee.

The Society operates a Hope House for cancer patients and a loved one to stay during the weeks of daily treatments. The House is similar to a hotel except there is a large kitchen facility where four different families could all cook Thanksgiving dinner at the same time. Usually most are just having soup, or something quick and easy, but the opportunity is there. There are large day rooms with big screen tv's, an exercise room, a game type room, in addition to very nice hotel type rooms with phones and cable tv. Perhaps the greatest service is transportation to and from all Dr. appointments which has been a lifesaver to me. As both my wife and I both work full time, the daily transportation needs for seven weeks would require major changes. All is provided free of charge to any cancer patient.

What a great and worthy organization for helping families when needed the most. Thank you again!!!!
Thank you for sharing that. I give thanks that their services are proving so helpful to you. I will pray for you and your son too. I'm a little older than your son, but not by much, and the emotions of someone that age having cancer, and the demands on their parents is something that I'm mindful off. :pray may the Lord keep you all close and your minds at peace as you go through this journey.