The Age of Accountability

Círeth

Purry, roary, one.
Apologies if this has been asked before. I looked for an answer and couldn't find one.

What age is the age of accountability? I hear people talk about it a lot both here and offline, and I've used it myself in terms of meaning "old enough to understand the consequences of my/your/their actions".

But my question is, is there an actual given age of accountability in the Bible? I have been unable to find anywhere where it gives an actual age.

If there isn't an age specifed in The Bible then where would you draw the line?

I would draw the line at 27 personally because we know from scientific studies that the brain is not fully developed until around that age in the mid to late twenties.

Andy C

Apologies if this has been asked before. I looked for an answer and couldn't find one.

What age is the age of accountability? I hear people talk about it a lot both here and offline, and I've used it myself in terms of meaning "old enough to understand the consequences of my/your/their actions".

But my question is, is there an actual given age of accountability in the Bible? I have been unable to find anywhere where it gives an actual age.

If there isn't an age specifed in The Bible then where would you draw the line?

I would draw the line at 27 personally because we know from scientific studies that the brain is not fully developed until around that age in the mid to late twenties.
Here is a good discussion, and check out post number 5 which is Pete Garcia.

https://www.raptureforums.com/forums/threads/children-the-rapture.188479/

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
There has been a lot of discussion on the age of accountability and there are many different views about that. That's about all I can say because I don't know when the age of accountability is.
TT, you are the one who gave the answer in a previous thread...in my words now...We can trust Jesus to do what is right.

I have taken those words to heart and really, that fact applies to all questions and concerns.

lamonte

I am so tired of the world telling us Believers in Christ what we should think, they cannot even tell us the difference between a man and women. We Believers have the Holy Spirit living in us and the scripture.

As far as the age of accountability, I don’t see any in the Scripture.

This is what I see “Rom 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
Jer 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
Isa 64:6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.
Rom 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: 11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. 12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one. 13 Their throat is an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips: 14 Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness: 18 There is no fear of God before their eyes.

The word “logical” is rooted in the Greek word logos, which means "reason, idea, or word.
1 Cor 1:27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty.

God used trumpets to bring down the walls of Jericho. He reduced Gideon's army from 32,000 to 300 to destroy the armies of Midian. He used an oxgoad in the hand of Shamgar to defeat the Philistines. With the jawbone of a donkey He enabled Samson to defeat a whole army. And our Lord fed over 5,000 with nothing more than a few loaves and fishes.

And then there is the Resurrection of are Lord Jesus Christ, and what about His second coming?

I choose Faith over reason, “through faith I believe God is Just”.

Andy C

There has been a lot of discussion on the age of accountability and there are many different views about that. That's about all I can say because I don't know when the age of accountability is.
Other than a brief few days agreeing with Pete, I believe scripture indicates there is an age of accountability, but I believe its much younger than many believe. A 10-12 year old could easily grasp the importance of making the wise choice, and understand the eternal consequences of a foolish choice.

I simply cant say with certainty, but we know He knows, and perhaps its a little different age for each individual…:idunno

fretslide

Learning more daily
TT, you are the one who gave the answer in a previous thread...in my words now...We can trust Jesus to do what is right.

I have taken those words to heart and really, that fact applies to all questions and concerns.
Opinions on this topic are like noses, everbody has one, but God's opinion will be right in every case and we can take that to the bank.

Genesis 18:25 “That be far from thee to do after this manner, to slay the righteous with the wicked: and that the righteous should be as the wicked, that be far from thee: Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?

katt

I have heard it taught that The Jews believed that one dosn't reach full maturity until the age of 30, it's why Jesus didn't leave home til he was 30. However, that can be debated. I've also heard it taught and it's been my life experience that, the age of accountability is different for everyone, there are those who never reach it, such as the special needs community. I would say it is when one reaches high school age. When one can think and reason logically, Paul said when I was a child I thought as a child, when I became a man I put away childish things, so, I would go with that, when one hits mental maturity enough to understand why the rules are there in the first place and stops thinking they're being picked on when they're expected to follow them. Now, no small or young child that has lost it's innocence has lost it because of anything they did, they lost it because of things that were done to them by evil adults, I refer to them as children that have lost their Innocence through no fault of their own, so, have they reached the age of accountability? When my mind goes there I always pray that they haven't.

Matthew6:33

Withstand in the evil day. Eph 6:13
Luke 18:16-17 NKJV — But Jesus called them to Him and said, “Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of God.

“Assuredly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter it.”

Círeth

Purry, roary, one.
I have heard it taught that The Jews believed that one dosn't reach full maturity until the age of 30, it's why Jesus didn't leave home til he was 30. However, that can be debated. I've also heard it taught and it's been my life experience that, the age of accountability is different for everyone, there are those who never reach it, such as the special needs community. I would say it is when one reaches high school age. When one can think and reason logically, Paul said when I was a child I thought as a child, when I became a man I put away childish things, so, I would go with that, when one hits mental maturity enough to understand why the rules are there in the first place and stops thinking they're being picked on when they're expected to follow them. Now, no small or young child that has lost it's innocence has lost it because of anything they did, they lost it because of things that were done to them by evil adults, I refer to them as children that have lost their Innocence through no fault of their own, so, have they reached the age of accountability? When my mind goes there I always pray that they haven't.
I was psychologically abused as a child. I think it made it take longer to be able to think and reason logically because I became so used to doubting my own perceptions and essentially gaslighting myself.

It took a very long time for me to be able to clearly discern the motives of those around me.

athenasius

That's the bottom line for me too. I think the reason we debate the age is because God didn't give an age-- He did give us the principles to understand regarding these things

His Grace
His Foreknowledge
His Fairness

Circumstances in each person's life might result in wildly different ages but God is the One who knows the heart, the mind, the abilities of each individual.

And we are asked to trust Him in this that He who knows the end from the beginning, knows the deepest part of our hearts, knows our weaknesses is also able to decide that age for each person.

If it was up to us, we would have people waiting to decide till the "age" or people deciding that someone with diminished capacity of some sort was "old enough to know better".

God is infinitely Just and Infinitely Merciful. Unlike us.

Umbrella Girl

Now we see through a glass, darkly; (1 Cor 13:12)
I think God “personalizes” the age of accountability for each individual according to their maturity and their ability to comprehend the most basic elements of the things of God…

And as with everything else, we must simply place our trust in His love, goodness, justice, mercy, and grace…

SJ129

I don’t think there is one “set age”. I believe it varies by individual. God knows our hearts and knows our experiences/ dna makeup/ mental capacity/ etc etc that all tie into when we are old enough for accountability.

paul289

King David knew that his child from Bathsheba would be in God's presence after he died: "He answered, “While the child was still alive, I fasted and wept. I thought, ‘Who knows? The Lord may be gracious to me and let the child live.’ 23 But now that he is dead, why should I go on fasting? Can I bring him back again? I will go to him, but he will not return to me.”" 2 Samuel 12

There was no rebuke of David for saying such a thing, so I believe this to mean that young children who cannot understand the Gospel are judged according to what they are given, which is to say, they are judged as unable to stand trial. I wonder about my wife's severely autistic brother as well. I don't know if he has the mental ability to understand sin, so how can he comprehend the Gospel? But I at least know that according to David's proclamation, there is Biblical precedent.

Back