The 7 Feasts

mattfivefour

This may sound strange but I woke up this morning thinking of this question:
If Our Messiah kept the Passover, why wouldn't we as His followers?
First of all, Passover was a type. While it recalled Israel's deliverance from bondage in Egypt (a type of sin), it pictured the coming of the One who would deliver man from bondage to sin by His own blood. Second, Jesus was an observant Jew observing every aspect of the law. Third, on the final Passover He was demonstrating that He was the fulfillment of the Passover. Today, we celebrate the fulfillment of the Passover when we celebrate Communion ... which God says we should do "as often as you meet". I would be so bold as to suggest that Communion IS our Passover.

mattfivefour

Thanks mattfivefour, Truly do appreciate your response.
I just don't understand types, it's something I have to pray about.
Thanks again.
No problem. The study of types is truly rewarding. It makes the Bible so richer, so obviously God-written from beginning to end. To help you get started on typology, here is an excerpt from the Baker Encyclopedia of the Bible:

(Typology is the) branch of biblical interpretation in which an element found in the OT prefigures one found in the NT. The initial one is called the type and the fulfillment is designated the antitype (see Gk antitupon). Either type or antitype may be a person, thing, or event, but often the type is Messianic and frequently refers to salvation. In working with types, the safest procedure is to limit them to those expressly mentioned in the Bible (cf. 1Cor 4:6). On the other hand, it is argued that such an approach limits the legitimate use of types, for some obvious types are not mentioned in the NT. Further, the types given in the NT are examples which demonstrate how to find others in the OT.​

Some examples may serve to identify some biblical types and antitypes: Jesus said to Nicodemus,​

As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up” (Jn 3:14; cf. Nu 21:9)​

The Passover lamb (Ex 12:1-13, 49) is a type of Christ (1Cor 5:7)​

The rock from which Israel drank in the wilderness (Ex 17:6) prefigures Christ (1Cor 10:3, 4).​

The Book of Hebrews is replete with examples of types which represent the Messiah. All of the sacrifices ordained by the ritual law which God gave at Sinai typified some aspect of the person and work of Jesus. The blood that was sprinkled on the altar spoke of the blood of the One Who was slain once for all (Heb 9:12-22-note).​

I hope this helps.

kathymendel

My late dh was Jewish, and while we were dating, his parents invited me to seder. I was AMAZED to see Jesus throughout the ritual! As we all sat there reading the haggada (sp?) I was reading and understanding something that they were not. I was thrilled for me but sad for them. Afterwards, I explained to Paul the significance of the passover. The Easter Sunday after we married, he went forward at church and accepted Jesus as his savior. We enjoyed thirty-five years of a very blessed marriage.

Now that he is gone, I no longer go through the ritual of the seder, but we provided it to Paul's extended family for many years, after his mother passed away. As Adrian says......... our communion is our form of passover. Paul didn't tell his family about his conversion to Christianity, until he got a diagnosis of terminal cancer about four months before he passed. They were not happy, and blamed me for it. He desired a messianic Jewish funeral service, so they would hear the gospel, an I made sure that happened. They were furious and cut me off immediately, so I am not in touch with them anymore. I do continually pray for them, tho........ that our Father will somehow cast the scales from their eyes and soften their hearts to receive His Son.

Not one of them ever asked Paul WHY he made the change while he was still alive and able to communicate .........no one really cared or wanted to hear..........even his kids. So very sad, as I know he would have answered their questions with love and respect. I wish he had been more outgoing in sharing with them over the years, but it was his story to share, not mine. But, he never wanted to make waves within the family. (They definitely never listened to anything I did have to say about my faith, nor the prayers or graces I said over the meals we served, or occasions of life when all one could do was pray.) So very sad..........

Getting back to the OP.......... I truly enjoyed participating in passover with them, it was a wonderful experience for me. It's just something I have let go since, and now I am content with communion.

Kaatje

My soul waits for the Lord, and in His Word I hope
My late dh was Jewish, and while we were dating, his parents invited me to seder. I was AMAZED to see Jesus throughout the ritual! As we all sat there reading the haggada (sp?) I was reading and understanding something that they were not. I was thrilled for me but sad for them. Afterwards, I explained to Paul the significance of the passover. The Easter Sunday after we married, he went forward at church and accepted Jesus as his savior. We enjoyed thirty-five years of a very blessed marriage.

Now that he is gone, I no longer go through the ritual of the seder, but we provided it to Paul's extended family for many years, after his mother passed away. As Adrian says......... our communion is our form of passover. Paul didn't tell his family about his conversion to Christianity, until he got a diagnosis of terminal cancer about four months before he passed. They were not happy, and blamed me for it. He desired a messianic Jewish funeral service, so they would hear the gospel, an I made sure that happened. They were furious and cut me off immediately, so I am not in touch with them anymore. I do continually pray for them, tho........ that our Father will somehow cast the scales from their eyes and soften their hearts to receive His Son.

Not one of them ever asked Paul WHY he made the change while he was still alive and able to communicate .........no one really cared or wanted to hear..........even his kids. So very sad, as I know he would have answered their questions with love and respect. I wish he had been more outgoing in sharing with them over the years, but it was his story to share, not mine. But, he never wanted to make waves within the family. (They definitely never listened to anything I did have to say about my faith, nor the prayers or graces I said over the meals we served, or occasions of life when all one could do was pray.) So very sad..........

Getting back to the OP.......... I truly enjoyed participating in passover with them, it was a wonderful experience for me. It's just something I have let go since, and now I am content with communion.
Dear Kathy,

I am so very sorry for your loss.
First and foremost, the loss of your husband, but also for the loss of your in-law family.
It breaks my heart everytime when I read about the blockade between the Jews and their Eldest Brother.
It is my daily prayer, that the scales may be lifted from their eyes.

And Thanks be to God, one day it will happen! Hallelujah!

kathymendel

Thank you, Kaatje. I am sorry, too, especially for my former in-laws. I invested thirty-five years of my life being kind and loving, and entering into their Jewish ways of life.......trying to have my life be a picture of God's great love for them. I am not sorry for that, but only that they were so unwilling to consider my Christian beliefs, in return. They had the opportunities to learn much of their own religion as well as mine. They could be called atheistic Jews, as there was no depth or great devotion to their faith, but only attended temple at yom kippur............all the rest was just bar mitzvahs, weddings, etc. They never spoke of God or how their faith affected their daily lives. Many even said there is no God, no heaven, no hell. When life ends it is just over. So very sad.

I do know that God can still bring them around.............but, even so, they have to want more, don't they? I don't know that that will ever happen. I certainly hope so, and that is why I continue to pray for them. At this point, it's all I can do.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
Hi guys i just finished reading the book of Esther and was hoping to clarify whether there is any lesson in relation to the feast of Purim for the church as my understanding of the book so far after just reading it is that it seems to be related more to the Jews than anything else.

I guess the reason for my question for people claiming that Purim may have some sort of significance as being a candidate for the rapture but , when i looked at this myself by reading the book of esther , i just couldn't see this parallel or how they got anything even relating to anything about the rapture , the only thing i got out of it was how the Jews were delivered from their enemies ?

(Humbly seeking opinions or people's take on the fast of Purim)

lismore

T
Son 2:13 'The fig tree has ripened its figs, And the vines in blossom have given forth their fragrance. Arise, my darling, my beautiful one, And come along!'"

Hello Jan, very interesting post, also from Matthew 24.
"Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near. Even so, when you see all these things, you know that it is near, right at the door"
All the anticipation, new life we see in Spring is pointing to the imminency of summer. Near but not quite yet. Could it be that 'Spring' in Spring shows us that the coming of the Lord is 'right at the door'. All the events that happen in springtime show us we are so close but with a tiny sliver of time- like one minute to midnight. God Bless :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Kem

Kem

Citizen
God is a God of order and numbers. It does not seem that He does things randomly.
I strongly agree Dan and have thought this for a long time. The date of our rapture, while it may not be at all clear or obvious to us has already been chosen by our Father for His reasons and is not random at all. At least that is my opinion.

Jan51

I strongly agree Dan and have thought this for a long time. The date of our rapture, while it may not be at all clear or obvious to us has already been chosen by our Father for His reasons and is not random at all. At least that is my opinion.
No, just like the church was not born on a random day.

Back