Testing edit function

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
No edit function on my posts. But I'm still able to post.

EDITED TO ADD: Edit function is working fine, here. :hmmm

DanLMP

I don't usually see the many errors in my posts until I go back to it after somebody likes it or quotes it.

I have edited grammar and spelling in my posts that were months, some even years, old.

Ten minutes is pretty much the standard edit window among most forums that permit posts to be edited after posting.

The question is not a matter of what is normally done, it is a matter of what should be done. Was there a specific issue or problem that caused the change?

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
The question is not a matter of what is normally done, it is a matter of what should be done. Was there a specific issue or problem that caused the change?

Yes. Chris explained it in a post. It had to do with folks removing the content of posts and leaving a dot or the word deleted.

It's probably a good policy for that reason. Reading a thread with a bunch of dots instead of meaningful content was difficult, especially if the original post got turned in to a dot.

I'll miss being able to correct spelling and syntax in my posts when I stumble upon them and notice all the errors that AI or some other sneaky web thingie put into my perfectly formatted posts, but I guess I can live with that.

athenasius

I'll miss being able to correct spelling and syntax in my posts when I stumble upon them and notice all the errors that AI or some other sneaky web thingie put into my perfectly formatted posts, but I guess I can live with that.
LOL me too! I just noticed this. I'm going to be posting more as I remember all the bits I should have stuck into my first one on any particular topic that attracts me.

Oh well, pause and think, not a bad concept at all!

DanLMP

Yes. Chris explained it in a post. It had to do with folks removing the content of posts and leaving a dot or the word deleted.

Yeah, I found Chris’ post too.

I just want to point out that if you told a professional writer that they only had 10 minutes to edit what they wrote after they finished writing, that they would most probably blow a gasket.

I am not a professional writer but I do try to produce a readable, as error free post as possible. I do not catch all of my errors within 10 minutes. I do not think it is even humanly possible to do that.

Reducing editing time to 10 minutes will reduce or prevent all the dots but it will increase the spelling, grammar and readability errors.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Reducing editing time to 10 minutes will reduce or prevent all the dots but it will increase the spelling, grammar and readability errors.

I've already noticed an uptick in misspellings. I guess I wasn't the only one going back after a bit and noticing errors in my posts, correcting them. I'm trying harder now to catch bad spelling before I post, but for some reason it's easier to see the errors after a while rather than right then and there.

DanLMP

I've already noticed an uptick in misspellings. I guess I wasn't the only one going back after a bit and noticing errors in my posts, correcting them. I'm trying harder now to catch bad spelling before I post, but for some reason it's easier to see the errors after a while rather than right then and there.

That's why writers have editors.

For the record, my comments are only observations and not complaints.

(And I have already edited this post 3 times).

Last edited:

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I found Chris’ post too.

I just want to point out that if you told a professional writer that they only had 10 minutes to edit what they wrote after they finished writing, that they would most probably blow a gasket.

I am not a professional writer but I do try to produce a readable, as error free post as possible. I do not catch all of my errors within 10 minutes. I do not think it is even humanly possible to do that.

I was (still am, I guess) a professional writer, and I have found it useful to compose important posts in a notepad, check the content, spelling, etc, and only then, when I am sure it is exactly what I want to say and how I want to say it, I cut and paste it into a forum. Obviously that's not important when just giving a personal reaction to something; but if the content is important and you want it understood clearly, then I recommend doing that. Just because we can dash off a quick, visceral post on social media does not mean we should. Especially as Christians, with so many non-members reading these forums daily.

Amethyst

Angie ... †
I was (still am, I guess) a professional writer, and I have found it useful to compose important posts in a notepad, check the content, spelling, etc, and only then, when I am sure it is exactly what I want to say and how I want to say it, I cut and paste it into a forum. Obviously that's not important when just giving a personal reaction to something; but if the content is important and you want it understood clearly, then I recommend doing that. Just because we can dash off a quick, visceral post on social media does not mean we should. Especially as Christians, with so many non-members reading these forums daily.
Yep I think the time limit on editing is a *great* idea in forums. If we don't trust ourselves on spelling we can read it several time before hitting 'post.'
And it doesnt bother me when I see someone's spelling mistake here and there, my brain will likely read it correctly anyway. :idunno

And also it will give accountability before posting things that we said in the heat of the moment and can't take back--makes person think twice.:heh