Tell me about Possums

Lovin Jesus

Tonight was the second time I see a possum sitting on top of the neighbors wooden fence. I opened my door to look outside and there he was, second time since I've lived here. He had a scary looking white face with huge eyes. He looked straight at me in a frozen state. Creeped me out. So, can you tell me about possums? What's the "normal" habitat for a possum? Is it usual for a possum to be in city limits?. I thought they were in woodsy areas or like in the mountains. I am close to the foothills of a mountain though. But this is a very busy street I live in with businesses and heavy traffic. Very few homes here. So why is this possum hanging out on my neighbors fence waiting for me to come out so he can spook me?

Lovin Jesus

Quite interesting creatures, I did not know they are like Kangaroo's , here is some info from Farmers almanac https://www.farmersalmanac.com/opossum-facts-27732
Thank you for the interesting info on possoms. So I guess it's not so unusual to see one here. I always thought they were only seen in the woods. But just as the article describes, my lil friend froze when he saw me, playing possum. But once he saw that I wasn't a threat he scooted along the top of the wood fencing. He sure is creepy looking though. Glad to know he's not a dangerous animal.

Armor of Light

Praising my Savior all the day long!
I live in the suburbs, and by me they are all over the place and are common road kill. I've never heard of one "interacting" with humans. I would keep my distance because you don't know if it is rabid. I would especially be concerned if it was running around in the daytime.
I think the article stated they are immune to rabies, also immune to various poisonous/venomous snakes. I have seen them in the city and in the wild during all hours of the day, in Nebraska anyway, but never saw one in a tree or climbing a tree.

Leigh

Tonight was the second time I see a possum sitting on top of the neighbors wooden fence. I opened my door to look outside and there he was, second time since I've lived here. He had a scary looking white face with huge eyes. He looked straight at me in a frozen state. Creeped me out.

So why is this possum hanging out on my neighbors fence waiting for me to come out so he can spook me?

I can answer that: he was hoping for a slice of the homemade banana bread you shared with the neighbors. Word gets around. :cool:

pixelpusher

Possums are good with hot sauce if you can find them hit fresh, usually early in the mornings, wrap in tin foil and put on the engine manifold for two hours highway, or 4 hours in stop and go.

They like cat food, or dog food, don't care. They like to rip up trash if they can get to it, but raccoons have them beat in that department.

Psalm37v4

Possums are nothing but trouble. My mom had a problem with them a few years ago, coming in and eating up the cat food. She used to leave the front door open for her kitties to wander in and outside. I had to convince her that that was not a good idea unless she wanted vermin wandering in.

Epieikes

They are nocturnal marsupials...can be mean when cornered... terrify our cat...loved his food til we put a stop to it...are regular Alabama roadkill due to poor vision...and will keep a class of Kindergartners entertained for hours after watching the zoologist pull four babies, one by one, from the irate mama's pouch as she hung by her tail. They're losing their habitat due to housing development... #truestory

Mrs. Ann

Tonight was the second time I see a possum sitting on top of the neighbors wooden fence. I opened my door to look outside and there he was, second time since I've lived here. He had a scary looking white face with huge eyes. He looked straight at me in a frozen state. Creeped me out. So, can you tell me about possums? What's the "normal" habitat for a possum? Is it usual for a possum to be in city limits?. I thought they were in woodsy areas or like in the mountains. I am close to the foothills of a mountain though. But this is a very busy street I live in with businesses and heavy traffic. Very few homes here. So why is this possum hanging out on my neighbors fence waiting for me to come out so he can spook me?
They are pretty harmless, omnivores and North America's only marsupial. They have prehensile tails. I think they eat lots and lots of bugs. They faint or "play possum" when scared. Sometimes you will see Mama giving a ride to all her babies on her back with their tails linked. DD gave a friend a possum key chain that said "Live ugly, fake your death." All that said to say this ... I do NOT like possums messing with my chickens.