Teen suicide is soaring. Do spotty mental health and addiction treatment share blame?

Love His Appearing

We often go to restaurants and so forth and see couples sitting side by side, faces down and entrenched in their cellphones. It bothers both of us so badly.
25 years ago when we were first married, my husband and I would go out for breakfast occasionally and comment that we would never be those old folks engrossed in their newspapers instead of talking to each other.

twerpv

Cireth,
I encourage to live and not be afraid or shrink from the life God has called you to....as a woman.
My wife stayed home with our two kids until they were in elementary school. Then she got a job in the schools as a para-pro (teacher assist) so she could have the same hours as our kids. She is/was so good in the classroom, the school wanted her to complete a few courses and get her teaching degree (she has a college education already). Anyway, she said no way as that would take away from her main focus, raising kids and running a house.
One would be hard pressed to find a harder, more determined, disciplined and tough PERSON than my wife. She would run circles around most of my colleagues. She has been an awesome compliment to me. I only hope she would say the same about me.
Don't listen to the worldly haters. Deep down I think they are jealous that you know what you want and that you know that God made you that way.

Love His Appearing

Dave makes good points. But perhaps it comes down to something more basic. Boys are being taught to be women instead of men and women are are being taught to be men by society.

The biggest issue for me throughout my teens and now, at 26, is that I am a woman being told my whole life by everyone, (except my Dad), that everything I naturally desire is wrong; that I should desire to be and act like a man and call it empowerment.

My natural, God given desires are to be a wife and a mother, to keep a house, raise and teach my children. I am not a man and I have no desire to compete with men in the workplace. I must once I leave university in order to keep a roof over my head and feed myself but I dread it. I am not afraid of hard work but I don't belong in the workplace.

Our much vaunted western society teaches women, has taught me, that these things are worthless and women who are homemakers, with no desire to compete in the workplace with men are lesser, strange, deviant and a traitors to their sex. The pain of this, to be denied my womanhood and told I am broken and bizarre for wanting to be as God designed me, is agonizing and the furthest thing from empowerment I can imagine. I am crying as I type this and I have never dared to say it before, even here, for fear of the backlash I might receive.
Oh, sweet Cireth!~ YOU ARE NOT ALONE. In response to the question, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" my daughter used to reply, "A mom." It's a very high calling, indeed. I sincerely believe that while men are designed to "provide and protect", women are designed to "nest and nurture". It isn't a very well respected opinion these days. This will sound very old fashioned and sexist, but when the question of women in the military was a hot topic, my grandfather used to say, "If women are expected to fight in the military, then you have just taken away the reason we fight." (to protect the women and children--in case that wasn't clear hahahah)

I am 50yo and my opinions are considered archaic and harshly judged. There is a very real battle between moms who work and moms who don't. I am not talking about the moms who have to work to keep their electricity on. I'm talking about the moms who put their kids in daycare from 6am to 6pm and then forget to pick them up because they got so caught up in building their careers. It's all in the hard-wiring. I don't understand them, and they think I am silly and foolish.

Círeth

Oh, sweet Cireth!~ YOU ARE NOT ALONE. In response to the question, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" my daughter used to reply, "A mom." It's a very high calling, indeed. I sincerely believe that while men are designed to "provide and protect", women are designed to "nest and nurture". It isn't a very well respected opinion these days. This will sound very old fashioned and sexist, but when the question of women in the military was a hot topic, my grandfather used to say, "If women are expected to fight in the military, then you have just taken away the reason we fight." (to protect the women and children--in case that wasn't clear hahahah)

I am 50yo and my opinions are considered archaic and harshly judged. There is a very real battle between moms who work and moms who don't. I am not talking about the moms who have to work to keep their electricity on. I'm talking about the moms who put their kids in daycare from 6am to 6pm and then forget to pick them up because they got so caught up in building their careers. It's all in the hard-wiring. I don't understand them, and they think I am silly and foolish.
Good for her. I was taught too early that that was an unacceptable answer. I hope I get to meet your grandfather one day. He sounds wonderful. :)

:hug Say these things to the wrong women and they'll turn on one like wolves and tear you down. I don't understand the career first mentality of some women at all, either. For me there is no point to a career without a family. Homemaker is the only career I want.

ShilohRose

Good for her. I was taught too early that that was an unacceptable answer. I hope I get to meet your grandfather one day. He sounds wonderful. :)

:hug Say these things to the wrong women and they'll turn on one like wolves and tear you down. I don't understand the career first mentality of some women at all, either. For me there is no point to a career without a family. Homemaker is the only career I want.
I stayed at home and homeschooled my children (my youngest is 20 and in college), but I feel the negative opinion of society. Sometimes, it's hard to get past the idea that I'm pretty worthless since I don't bring home a paycheck.

sara ann

drugs play a part...what % I don't know...but kids get hooked and it's down hill from there....but I seem to remember that the Bible speaks of it...if the child gets free of drugs and falls again...it's hard to break it...and stay away from it...it's everywhere....of course at my age I would not know where to look...age has it perks!

Diane B

Cireth

:hug
I so completely understand how you feel. I recently "came home" from working for over 22 years and despising most every moment of working. Everyone is told they have to have a career and your worth comes from your ability to financially support yourself. Those are lies. Lies told to destroy the fabric of our society and families. Your response is natural and do not be ashamed. It is a sad world where people can be encouraged to be whatever they want (including a different gender) unless it would be a wife and mother. Be honest with yourself and pray for the Lord's guidance. He will most assuredly bless you if you are in His will. It may be difficult and you will experience pressure from those around you, but God's approval and your own happiness are more important. Praying for peace in this matter for you.[/QUOTE]

dave-o

[...] Boys are being taught to be women instead of men and women are are being taught to be men by society.
Crazy huh. But I heard someone phrase that thought as "boys are being treated as nothing more than defective girls"!
I am crying as I type this and I have never dared to say it before, even here, for fear of the backlash I might receive.
You are not alone! I know of several young women who I have heard say much the same. They too would like to just be a mom and certainly have no interest in being "Mary Macho" who beats up tough guys for a hobby.

Honestly equal rights for women got hijacked into a straight up Female Supremacy movement.

rubyx1

rubyx1
Dave makes good points. But perhaps it comes down to something more basic. Boys are being taught to be women instead of men and women are are being taught to be men by society.

The biggest issue for me throughout my teens and now, at 26, is that I am a woman being told my whole life by everyone, (except my Dad), that everything I naturally desire is wrong; that I should desire to be and act like a man and call it empowerment.

My natural, God given desires are to be a wife and a mother, to keep a house, raise and teach my children. I am not a man and I have no desire to compete with men in the workplace. I must once I leave university in order to keep a roof over my head and feed myself but I dread it. I am not afraid of hard work but I don't belong in the workplace.

Our much vaunted western society teaches women, has taught me, that these things are worthless and women who are homemakers, with no desire to compete in the workplace with men are lesser, strange, deviant and are traitors to their sex. The pain of this, to be denied my womanhood and told I am broken and bizarre for wanting to be as God designed me, is agonizing and the furthest thing from empowerment I can imagine. I am crying as I type this and I have never dared to say it before, even here, for fear of the backlash I might receive.[/QUOTE you put into words exactly what I feel. :hug:console

twerpv

I stayed at home and homeschooled my children (my youngest is 20 and in college), but I feel the negative opinion of society. Sometimes, it's hard to get past the idea that I'm pretty worthless since I don't bring home a paycheck.
Shiloh,
I speak for many men that I know. The saying that behind every 'great' man is a great woman didn't just become a saying for nothing. There is no way that I could have 'successful' in career without my wife's support. I travel a lot for my job. Not one time (not once) did she make feel guilty for not being home. I am very involved but gone quite a bit. I could have never concentrated on the job tasks at hand without her. That's a fact. It's not my paycheck. It's ours. She's earned it.

Jan51

Our much vaunted western society teaches women, has taught me, that these things are worthless and women who are homemakers, with no desire to compete in the workplace with men are lesser, strange, deviant and are traitors to their sex. The pain of this, to be denied my womanhood and told I am broken and bizarre for wanting to be as God designed me, is agonizing and the furthest thing from empowerment I can imagine. I am crying as I type this and I have never dared to say it before, even here, for fear of the backlash I might receive.
Cireth, I too felt like you! But regardless, it is wise to prepare for the workplace. You don't know how long you may be single and need to support yourself before you become a wife and mom and homemaker. You don't know if your future husband will make enough to support you and the kids. If you marry, and especially if you have kids, there are various circumstances that could cause you to become a single mom and need to support your kids. It is very wise to have options. I got an education, and although I did become a wife and mother, I have worked off and on at various times. Even if you don't get higher education, I think it is very wise for a gal to learn bookkeeping/accounting, because there are always jobs there. If you are handy on the computer and can type well, that is a real plus. Life does not always turn out as we hope.

Kerbluey

That’s so sad. I was aware of it when I was your age, but it hadn’t infected society like it has now along with no social media back then. :hug

Our much vaunted western society teaches women, has taught me, that these things are worthless and women who are homemakers, with no desire to compete in the workplace with men are lesser, strange, deviant and are traitors to their sex. The pain of this, to be denied my womanhood and told I am broken and bizarre for wanting to be as God designed me, is agonizing and the furthest thing from empowerment I can imagine. I am crying as I type this and I have never dared to say it before, even here, for fear of the backlash I might receive.