Syrian regime helicopter shot down over rebel bastion, killing all crew

Almost Heaven

A Syrian military helicopter was shot down over the last major rebel bastion in northwest Syria on Friday, killing all crew on board, state media said, in the second such incident this week.

"At approximately 6:40 pm (EST), one of our military helicopters was hit by a hostile missile in the western countryside of Aleppo," SANA said.

"This lead the helicopter to crash, killing all crew on board."

SANA said the aircraft was downed near the town of Urum al-Kubra where Turkey-backed rebels operate, but it did not say who was behind the incident.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights blamed the attack on rebel-backer Turkey but there was no immediate claim of responsibility.

The Britain-based monitor said two pilots were killed.

Turkey's state-run Anadolu agency also reported the incident, but did not say who was responsible or if there were any casualties.

Earlier on Tuesday, a Syrian military helicopter was downed over Idlib province, killing at least three crew members.

Turkish media blamed the attacks on rebels but the Observatory said Turkish troops had fired rockets at the aircraft over the village of Qaminas, southeast of Idlib city.

https://www.i24news.tv/en/news/international/middle-east/1581685764-syrian-regime-helicopter-shot-down-over-rebel-bastion-killing-two-monitor

LisaJoe1986

All this talk makes me nervous. My nephew is over there (we think in Syria) and he is a Blackhawk med vac pilot. I thought we got all our military out of Syria but the time difference when he calls places him there.