Syrian army sends reinforcements to border with Israel

Almost Heaven

The Syrian government has sent military reinforcements to the southern border with Israel on the Golan Heights, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) reported Saturday.
The reinforcements include soldiers, tanks, and other military vehicles, according to the SOHR.
The military buildup follows reports in Syrian state media that forces shot down a drone in the Quneitra province in southern Syria in the second such incident in 48 hours.
Authorities "dismantled a drone" after it was shot down on the edge of Jabal al-Sheikh in the Quneitra countryside, southwest of Damascus, state news agency SANA reported.

The Israeli army's Arabic-language spokesman said the drone did not come from his country and was likely Iranian.
"What is certain is that it is not an (Israeli army) drone," Avichay Adraee said on Twitter.
"Today we see proof... that (Iran's elite Quds Force commander) Qassem Soleimani does whatever he wants in Syria, and of course does not tell" the regime of President Bashar al-Assad.
On Thursday, another drone was downed by Syrian anti-aircraft defenses over the village of Aqraba, south of Damascus, SANA reported, also without specifying the origin of the drone.
SOHR confirmed the downing of the drone on Saturday but was unable to confirm if it was hit by forces of the Syrian regime, or its ally, the Lebanese Shiite movement Hezbollah.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/269239

Footsteps

Now that Vlad has promised Assad he won’t let those mean old rebels kill him, the Syrian army is back like a Central American refugee camp just south of Texas. When the Syrian army massed a few days before Yom Kippur in 1973, Israel didn’t believe they would attack on its holiest day. Richard Nixon filled Golda Meir's list of tanks, planes, etc. needed to survive.
The element of surprise is forever lost. If anybody has friends in Damascus, advise them to relocate. When? Yesterday would be nice.

ItIsFinished!

Now that Vlad has promised Assad he won’t let those mean old rebels kill him, the Syrian army is back like a Central American refugee camp just south of Texas. When the Syrian army massed a few days before Yom Kippur in 1973, Israel didn’t believe they would attack on its holiest day. Richard Nixon filled Golda Meir's list of tanks, planes, etc. needed to survive.
The element of surprise is forever lost. If anybody has friends in Damascus, advise them to relocate. When? Yesterday would be nice.
Boom!

LisaJoe1986

I read this on RR this morning:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-51458008

Help me understand the "Damascus" prophecy. I know it will be a heap of ruins, but is there a clear perpetrator of this action? This story sounds like Syria is fighting back against Turkey's intrusion into the country. Could this "heavy, heavy price" be the fulfillment of this prophecy? I get the big picture but I am fuzzy on the details.

Footsteps

We are all fuzzy on the details because none are given in scripture. The speculations spike when military activity occurs on the outskirts of this oldest continually occupied city. Their murderous dictator Assad is an Alawite Muslim. When he felt he was going under he flew to the Kremlin, further advancing the movement of Magog into the Middle East and coveted ports.

athenasius

I read this on RR this morning:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-51458008

Help me understand the "Damascus" prophecy. I know it will be a heap of ruins, but is there a clear perpetrator of this action? This story sounds like Syria is fighting back against Turkey's intrusion into the country. Could this "heavy, heavy price" be the fulfillment of this prophecy? I get the big picture but I am fuzzy on the details.
The best thing to do is to read the Bible accounts of this

and it's in Isaiah 17

as well as Jeremiah 49:23-27

and over in Amos 1:3-5

which I'll pop in here. You have to take a look at the surrounding verses, and look at the context. Is it speaking of the end times-- often called "the Day of the Lord" or spoken of as "in that day" when it speaks of when Israel is again in the land. There is much that is implied in there.

In the Isaiah passage you see Damascus becoming "no longer a city" --it's known as the longest inhabited city on the planet. It's been ravaged before but it never ceased being inhabited.

Theres a reference to Ephraim at that same time (northern Israel near the border with Syria) and Israel seems to come thru something bad when Damascus dies. The remnant of Aram (Syria/Damascus reference) is as the glory of Israel (looking at verse 4 says what happened to the glory of Israel-- not so glorious at that time) but verse 6 is God's message of hope to Israel in that tough time to come.

It leads on into vs 7-9 which seem to be a reference to Syrians and possibly also Israel in the Millennial reign-- the outcome of the short harsh period of Jacobs trouble, the Tribulation aka The Day of the Lord. V 10-11 seem to refer to Israel, and it's like the WHY that all this is happening during this Tribulation period. A time of difficulty for Israel, but a time of JUDGEMENT for the nations. Verses 12-14 may refer to the invasion of Ez 38 or it may be just this destruction of Damascus event but they might be tied together. NOT SURE.

But verse 14 IS a key. It says:

14 In the evening, sudden terror!
Before the morning, they are gone!
This is the portion of those who loot us,
the lot of those who plunder us.
Which seems to imply that somehow, the whole thing began at night, as retribution for a planned invasion of Israel.

Now that goes on in Jeremiah who agrees with or repeats some of that, maybe adding more detail

Isaiah 17 New International Version (NIV)
A Prophecy Against Damascus
17 A prophecy against Damascus:

“See, Damascus will no longer be a city
but will become a heap of ruins.
2 The cities of Aroer will be deserted
and left to flocks, which will lie down,
with no one to make them afraid.
3 The fortified city will disappear from Ephraim,
and royal power from Damascus;
the remnant of Aram will be
like the glory of the Israelites,”
declares the Lord Almighty.

4 “In that day the glory of Jacob will fade;
the fat of his body will waste away.
5 It will be as when reapers harvest the standing grain,
gathering the grain in their arms—
as when someone gleans heads of grain
in the Valley of Rephaim.
6 Yet some gleanings will remain,
as when an olive tree is beaten,
leaving two or three olives on the topmost branches,
four or five on the fruitful boughs,”
declares the Lord, the God of Israel.

7 In that day people will look to their Maker
and turn their eyes to the Holy One of Israel.
8 They will not look to the altars,
the work of their hands,
and they will have no regard for the Asherah poles
and the incense altars their fingers have made.

9 In that day their strong cities, which they left because of the Israelites, will be like places abandoned to thickets and undergrowth. And all will be desolation.

10 You have forgotten God your Savior;
you have not remembered the Rock, your fortress.
Therefore, though you set out the finest plants
and plant imported vines,
11 though on the day you set them out, you make them grow,
and on the morning when you plant them, you bring them to bud,
yet the harvest will be as nothing
in the day of disease and incurable pain.

12 Woe to the many nations that rage—
they rage like the raging sea!
Woe to the peoples who roar—
they roar like the roaring of great waters!
13 Although the peoples roar like the roar of surging waters,
when he rebukes them they flee far away,
driven before the wind like chaff on the hills,
like tumbleweed before a gale.
14 In the evening, sudden terror!
Before the morning, they are gone!

This is the portion of those who loot us,
the lot of those who plunder us.

So looking at Jeremiah, he speaks of the destruction but it's a key in v 25. ASK WHO IS THE CITY OF RENOWN IN WHOM GOD DELIGHTS? that is JERUSALEM. So Jeremiah is asking a rhetorical question where the answer is implied. Jerusalem is not abandoned, but v 23-24 DAMASCUS is.

She turns to flee, bad news but as she does ;

"her young men will fall in the streets;
all her soldiers will be silenced in that day,”
27 “I will set fire to the walls of Damascus;
it will consume the fortresses of Ben-Hadad.”

which means that her men fall in the streets, and soldiers are silenced in that day. By fire to the walls of Damascus. In that day. Again, might mean a simple 24 hour day or a period of time, but many think day which fits with the way Isaiah 17:14 reads.

Jeremiah 49:
A Message About Damascus
23 Concerning Damascus:

“Hamath and Arpad are dismayed,
for they have heard bad news.
They are disheartened,
troubled like the restless sea.
24 Damascus has become feeble,
she has turned to flee
and panic has gripped her;
anguish and pain have seized her,
pain like that of a woman in labor.
25 Why has the city of renown not been abandoned,
the town in which I delight?
26 Surely, her young men will fall in the streets;
all her soldiers will be silenced in that day,”

And in AMOS
Judgment on Israel’s Neighbors
3 This is what the Lord says:

“For three sins of Damascus,
even for four, I will not relent.
Because she threshed Gilead
with sledges having iron teeth,
4 I will send fire on the house of Hazael
that will consume the fortresses of Ben-Hadad.
5 I will break down the gate of Damascus;
I will destroy the king who is in the Valley of Aven
and the one who holds the scepter in Beth Eden.
The people of Aram will go into exile to Kir,”
says the Lord.

OK so look up ancient Gilead. Sledges having iron teeth. What does that sound like? Look at the time frame that Amos is speaking to. Maybe it's the same time as the other two, maybe not.

Last edited:

athenasius

So I had to quit there and make dinner without tying up a couple of thoughts. Dinner's over, taking another run at the passages.

Take a look at the implications.

How fast it happens:

Damascus seems to fall in a short period like less than 24 hours. At evening trouble, by morning its all over Isaiah 17:14 . Jeremiah 49:26 suggests a day but it's not specific -- in that day which might mean at that time rather than on a particular day counted from sundown to the following day.

WHY it started:

It seems to happen because Damascus decided to PLUNDER ISRAEL-- Isaiah 17:14 because the prophet says This is the portion of those who plunder us. So it looks like Damascus was after something that belonged to Israel from land to resources we can't say. But the object is plunder. And that is interesting because that MIGHT tie it into the Ez 38 scenario.

In Ez 38 Syria is not mentioned, nor Damascus but the object is plunder. But it might NOT be tied to Ez 38 at all. I tend to wonder if Damascus is the fuse that lights up the whole Ez 38 thing, not part of the Ez 38 invasion, but rather the event that gets Russia and Iran and Turkey with their side kicks from Put and Cush all fired up to invade Israel. The motive for Russia is plunder then. But if it happened in the next little while, Russia would feel understandably annoyed at Israel for destroying their ally Damascus (capitol of Syria) and might feel like taking the plunder that Damascus couldn't manage. OR IT MIGHT BE COMPLETELY UNRELATED AND HAVE SOME YEARS IN BETWEEN. Damascus fall might be well before or well after the Ez 38 invasion without damaging the interpretation at all.

Jeremiah has another little hint stuck right smack in the middle of his description of the fall of Damascus. First v 23-24 he describes what is happening to Damascus. But then in Verse 25 there is an odd little rhetorical question inserted before going back to describing the fall of Damascus in 26-27. The question asks about Jerusalem NOT Damascus-- the city of God's joy is JERUSALEM. Why has JERUSALEM not been abandoned?. Well on either side of that unique and odd insertion about Jerusalem are 2 verses before and 2 verses after that deal with DAMASCUS.

So that means we are to compare Jerusalem and Damascus. Jerusalem isn't abandoned but Damascus IS! And that seems to be the point of that odd little interjection. The implication MAY be (not saying it IS, just that it MAY be) that Damascus tried to do something to harm Jerusalem, to make Jerusalem "abandoned" but ends up BECOMING DESTROYED.

Which lines up with Isaiah 17:14 saying those who plunder Israel get destroyed.

Now if AMOS is describing the same event,
there's an odd little comment about threshing Gilead with Sledges with iron Teeth. Odd visual picture that. It might be describing some kind of sled like object that grinds along with iron teeth. To me that sounds like some kind of tank but it may be something else altogether. But it implies that Damascus (capitol of Syria) is grinding the surface of the ground (threshing) using a sledge like device, with iron teeth over in the area of GILEAD where they don't belong. Gilead is just over the Jordan river in what is now Jordan and used to be the tribe of GAD, while opposite the Jordan on the other side is the area of Ephraim, just north of Jerusalem.

Remember that Ephraim is mentioned in Isaiah as being hurt in the process. That is largely called the West Bank right now. Gilead is on the Jordanian side of things, and is JUST BELOW the GOLAN HEIGHTS.

And the Valley of the Rephaim is mentioned. This is a very clearly defined space from history and also is according to Wikipedia "The Tel Aviv – Jerusalem railway, originally known as the Jaffa–Jerusalem railway, uses the entire length of the Valley of the Rephaim from Jerusalem to its junction with Nahal Sorek.""

The glory of Jacob will fade, it will be like reapers went thru, but some will be left. That sounds pretty devastating to Israel in the area just south of the Syrian border and north of Jerusalem. The valley that the Tel Aviv to Jerusalem railway runs on is part of the reaping that occurs.

And it's happening because something Damascus decides to do, will have 2 goals in mind:
1: Plunder what belongs to Israel
2: Cause Jerusalem to be abandoned.

Which sounds like an attack. It looks like Damascus sends some kind of Sledge with Iron Teeth to grind the ground of Gilead which is in Jordan just below the Golan Heights. Maybe Ephraim (the West Bank area) gets hurt as well by Damascus before Israel can stop things or maybe Israel's retaliation onto Damascus creates problems in Ephraim. Just read the Bible as it is without worrying too much about what it might or might not mean.

And there is a prediction involving the Valley of the Rephaim, which is the current modern railway from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.

WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENS:
Isaiah says in verse 14 it starts with sudden terror in the evening, by morning they are gone.

So it starts at evening.

Jeremiah agrees, his verses begin with
Hamath and Arpad are dismayed, (modern day Hama and Aleppo in the north of Syria)
for they have heard bad news.
Troubled like the restless sea. ? tossing about in a panic? or something out at sea worries them?

So something starts with terror, bad news, that causes dismay up north. That's up by the Turkish border btw.

And Damascus has become feeble, she panics and turns. Pains like labour grip her. (so she can't move easily, waves of pain overtake her)
drop down past the little aside about Jerusalem and the last 2 verses state her young men and her soldiers lie dead.

God says this:

So now we know fire is involved. Ben Hadad was king of Aram-Damascus, around the time of King Ahab. He ruled a good chunk of what we would consider Syria.

So Damascus, and it's leader's "fortresses" are consumed by fire in this destruction. It starts at evening, by morning its done. For fortresses I'd read bunkers in modern day terms but that might be reading too much into the text. So fortresses it is.

And AMOS agrees:
who is Hazael? Another ancient king of Aram-Damascus who ruled after Ben Hadad 2.
where is the valley of Aven? https://www.biblicalcyclopedia.com/A/aven.html probably in Baalbek near Lebanon today
what is Beth Eden (likely the summer home of the king of Damascus, again near Lebanon today) https://www.biblicalcyclopedia.com/B/betheden.html
where is Kir? good question-- somewhere they flee to. I've seen too many possibilities to narrow it down but this might help https://www.biblicalcyclopedia.com/K/kir.html

But the outline as far as Amos goes says that at some point, Damascus invades Gilead (northern Jordan) and stuff starts happening.
Amos mentions fire and destruction for Damascus.
and that the people of Aram (which was sort of around the general area of syria today) go into exile.

and Isaiah mentions the exiles too in verse 9, which they leave because of the CHILDREN OF ISRAEL

SO looking at Isaiah 17:9 we see that whatever Damascus started, finishes with the Destruction of Damascus, and the refugees from Syria fleeing the devastation. AND THE CHILDREN OF ISRAEL ARE INVOLVED which suggests the IDF retaliates to the attacks from Damascus and something happens to wipe out Damascus and send refugees out of Syria.

Because of Isaiah 17: 7-8 we see a TIME FRAME of when this happens

7 In that day people will look to their Maker
and turn their eyes to the Holy One of Israel.
8 They will not look to the altars,
the work of their hands,
and they will have no regard for the Asherah poles
and the incense altars their fingers have made.

9 In that day their strong cities, which they left because of the Israelites, will be like places abandoned to thickets and undergrowth. And all will be desolation.

Is the "they" in v 9 which is Syria the same as the THEY in v 7 or 8? It's something I'm not sure of.
It almost looks like v 7 - 8 refers to modern Israel
and 9 refers to Syria

but I'm not sure.

HOWEVER the TIME frame puts it around the time that Israel looks to their Maker, turn their eyes to the Holy One of Israel, turning away from the altars, work of their hands, incense altars (those might all refer to the third temple fixings) and then the Asherah poles referring to carved poles, carved images of Asherah, or trees that were bent and cut to form a shrine for the female goddess that is sometimes called Astarte or Artemis of the Ephesians. The cult of Mary worship within the Catholic church has an awful lot of similarities as do the appearances of the demonic personality that impersonates these female deities. Fatimah in Islam has more similarities. I'll leave it there. It says that they will have no regard for such things.

And the time frame of Ez 38-39 is similar in that God states emphatically Ezek 39:21-22

21 “I will display my glory among the nations, and all the nations will see the punishment I inflict and the hand I lay on them. 22 From that day forward the people of Israel will know that I am the Lord their God.

Now it's not for sure, but that places 2 hints that at the time of the destruction of Damascus, hint #1: Israel is invaded for plunder by Damascus (which is similar to Ez 38-39) AND HINT #2: it's at a time that ISRAEL LOOKS TO HER MAKER, the GOD OF ISRAEL.

So that doesn't mean they occur together, but there's a little hint that they might or they might be linked as many think-- Damascus being the fuse that lights up Ez 38-39.

NOW I am NO theologian, that is all I got for you and other's may have far better insights.

If Adrian (@mattfivefour ) or Mike (@mikhen7 ) say different, you listen to them. They know what they are talking about.

Last edited:

athenasius

Tunnel digging equipment perhaps?
That might be. It's a puzzling reference if it even applies because Amos has both near prophecies, that were fulfilled as the Northern Kingdom was taken away into captivity, and later the Southern Kingdom went to Babylon. Yet Amos in later chapters includes day of the Lord references. And some of the prophecies like the Damascus prophecy had a fulfillment in the past, BUT also due to the wording in the Isaiah 17 passage, they are also to be fulfilled in the future near the Day of the Lord time frame.

So I don't know whether those verses in Amos apply to a future fulfillment like the Isaiah 17 one does. I don't know if the Jeremiah Damascus prophecy is both near and far fulfillments.

IF they are, and they all refer both to events in the past, while pointing to the future then all three passages may simply add extra details to each other.

But if Amos is strictly fulfilled in the past, the odd reference to that sledge with Iron teeth could be simply something that occurred around that time. The Assyrians laid waste a huge chunk of what is now Jordan so maybe they did something like sowing salt with a big iron thing pulled behind oxen.