Sword fight

yrrek

So, I encountered someone who was using God and the scriptures to belittle people. Like obnoxiously. They wouldn't actually quote scripture they would just say the bible says without a reference. Most of it was out of contexed and not what Jesus or the apostles meant. SO... I began to quote scripture including the references. I wasn't expecting them to give up but eventually, it finally made her stop. She couldn't use the bible to defeat the bible. It feels so good inside to be able to use the Word of God for defense. Do you want to know the best part though? It made us friends. I don't think it changed her view but she liked my approach. Do you have a sword of the Spirit story?

Jeff K

I recently had a conversation with an older Catholic man who insisted that salvation comes through belief plus works and wanted to debate my stance of grace through faith - faith alone in Christ alone. The Holy Spirit led me to Scripture verses that showed he was wrong on every point, yet he held on staunchly to his belief of works needed. He asked me what I thought of infant baptism and I told him it was fruitless. I finally told him we would have to agree to disagree and cut the conversation short because there were others I needed to talk to about Jesus.

Two days later, the same man came back and told me to look up Mark 16:16. After telling him I had no interest in continuing the same conversation with him, I opened my Bible to Mark and started reading aloud verse 16 - "He who believes and is baptized will be saved;". The man stopped me right there and started boasting about being right with his view of works. I read the text again aloud, looked him in the eye and asked, when we're you baptized? As an infant, he said. The text says, "he who believes and is baptized". Did you "believe" as an infant prior to baptism? Do you even remember getting baptized? Crickets, not a chirp. The very Scripture he brought shot down His own argument.

I then went on to finish the rest of verse 16 - "But he who does not believe will be condemned." I explained how this verse states that the man who believes, is saved, will be baptized as a public display of His belief. It does not say he who is not baptized will be condemned, but only he who does not believe.

Once again the debate started, I shook his hand and asked him to move along.