Suicide and the Christian

Rocky R.

As true believers in Jesus Christ, we can all agree that suicide is murder, and therefore a sin against Holy God. But even with the Divine Blessing of the indwelling Holy Ghost, there are those of our brethren who, under the cumulative weight of their circumstances, have decided to end it all rather than to continue in what they feel is never-ending misery. What does God say to His children who succeed in taking their own life? In my opinion, they can expect no reward at the Bema Seat Judgment. But, what would He say?? Salvation is a free gift, but hearing Him say "well done" must be earned, and that's one thing He won't say to them. In your opinion, what would He say??

mattfivefour

Good question. None of us can speak for God ... but God has spoken for Himself. He is first of all a just God, a God of mercy and compassion. He understands the suffering of those who feel they can no longer continue and end their own lives. Since salvation is simply a matter of having placed one's hope and faith in Jesus Christ—His sinless life, His sacrificial death for us, and His resurrection— and not in anything we ourselves have done, clearly some who kill themselves are saved, while others are not. Therefore, I do not think we can make a blanket statement regarding suicide since each individual case is different and God alone knows the heart. Thus I believe we can safely leave the decision of who is in Heaven safely in the hands of God.

ozaprah

What does God say to His children who succeed in taking their own life? In my opinion, they can expect no reward at the Bema Seat Judgment. But, what would He say?? Salvation is a free gift, but hearing Him say "well done" must be earned, and that's one thing He won't say to them. In your opinion, what would He say??

My understanding is the Bema seat judgement is not a judgement of sin. That has been paid fully at the cross for those who have placed their faith in Christ. So I can't see why God can't say 'well done good and faithful servant' if that person, despite suffering from a depressive illness and it's consequences, has served him in a faithful way such as soul winning, doing good works in his name and for his sake, ministering faithfully, longing for his appearance etc.

If sin was a disqualifying factor to hearing 'well done' then I can assure you none of us will be hearing 'well done'..

GoldenEagle

My understanding is the Bema seat judgement is not a judgement of sin. That has been paid fully at the cross for those who have placed their faith in Christ. So I can't see why God can't say 'well done good and faithful servant' if that person, despite suffering from a depressive illness and it's consequences, has served him in a faithful way such as soul winning, doing good works in his name and for his sake, ministering faithfully, longing for his appearance etc.

If sin was a disqualifying factor to hearing 'well done' then I can assure you none of us will be hearing 'well done'..
Delete

Last edited:

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
I do agree with the answers here, but just want to caution anyone reading and perhaps struggling that first of all there is help available and second of all, cutting one's life short cuts God's good plans and blessings short. For you and for others through you.

There was a time in my young life, as a Christian that I had wished to not be on earth. I was having a hard time. God showed me that He actually had a purpose for me, a very specific purpose for me. I'm not able to share those details, but only that it was very true why God wanted me here and what His plans were.

I am so glad I chose to trust God. We must remember that our enemy is actively trying to thwart God's good plans in our lives and this is one means of doing it. Although nothing can thwart God and His plans, we will miss out on blessings for us and for others with God working through us.

When all you can see is no other way out, remember that God can make the way. Remember what God did for the Israelites when they were between the Red Sea and the vast, intimidating Egyptian army. Israel couldn't see a way out, but God knew what He was about to do to rescue. And He did and He will for you.

Choose, even if minute by minute to trust God and communicate that to Him. Choose to place your thoughts on the goodness of God rather than the thing that's overwhelming you, choose to thank God for what He's done, will do and about to do. Seek Him and pour out your heart to Him, asking Him to provide for all your needs, specific needs. For that's exactly what He loves for us to do. And then trust Him.

For, it's faith, no matter how small, that God wonderfully responds to. :)

Andy C

I do agree with the answers here, but just want to caution anyone reading and perhaps struggling that first of all there is help available and second of all, cutting one's life short cuts God's good plans and blessings short. For you and for others through you.

There was a time in my young life, as a Christian that I had wished to not be on earth. I was having a hard time. God showed me that He actually had a purpose for me, a very specific purpose for me. I'm not able to share those details, but only that it was very true why God wanted me here and what His plans were.

I am so glad I chose to trust God. We must remember that our enemy is actively trying to thwart God's good plans in our lives and this is one means of doing it. Although nothing can thwart God and His plans, we will miss out on blessings for us and for others with God working through us.

When all you can see is no other way out, remember that God can make the way. Remember what God did for the Israelites when they were between the Red Sea and the vast, intimidating Egyptian army. Israel couldn't see a way out, but God knew what He was about to do to rescue. And He did and He will for you.

Choose, even if minute by minute to trust God and communicate that to Him. Choose to place your thoughts on the goodness of God rather than the thing that's overwhelming you, choose to thank God for what He's done, will do and about to do. Seek Him and pour out your heart to Him, asking Him to provide for all your needs, specific needs. For that's exactly what He loves for us to do. And then trust Him.

For, it's faith, no matter how small, that God wonderfully responds to. :)
Excellent post!

annieforjesus

EL, so glad you made your post...it is important to trust God even if it's minute by minute sometimes...in my long life it was those times when I couldn't see a way ahead that God showed up so powerfully for me..that has always encouraged me to be patient and wait on him....He will sustain us through anything, I know by experience..we can look forward to a crown, and sometimes we can help point the way for others to get theirs.

Goodboy

Won't Be Long Now!
Fantastic answers everyone!!! :thumbup

I would just like to add for anyone reading through this post that we are so close to the Rapture that committing suicide at this point would be like quitting college needing only one credit to graduate. Or maybe a better example, like running a 20 mile marathon and giving up with two feet to go. :doh
Hey, we made it this far, don't you want to make it to the end? :rapture

Rocky R.

I liken a Christian committing suicide to a soldier abandoning his post, being AWOL. Don't abandon your post. I know it gets very tough sometimes, but you've got to hold up that shield of faith. I'm going through depression right now in my old age. During my teen years I always had it, so I'm no stranger to it. In my younger years, I thought about suicide all the time; at this age I think about it from time to time during these bouts of depression. Sometimes you need to ride out the wave. God is good, He will not abandon us, so don't desert your post! Think of it this way -- you're in a crucible test. The one controlling all aspects of your test is God Almighty, but the one giving the test is the Devil. Be faithful unto death, and you will get the crown of life. Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate [disciplined] in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown” (NKJV). The imperishable crown can be yours, and we have all of eternity to celebrate our victories. But we only have TODAY to earn them, while we still have the gift of choice.

lenraff

Respectfully, I must disagree. I find no scripture justifying suicide, which is, imo, murder. Or euthanasia for that matter. We are not our own.1Cor.6:20. I have come very close to it my self while suffering the worst things the enemy can send to a believer. (Gun in mouth pulling on trigger) God stopped me. I know the devil tries to talk us into destructive acts first hand. "God loves you' God doesn't want you to suffer like this" "God Understands" " God wants this pain to stop". Heard it all, nothing but lies from the pit of hell.
Isa_53:10  Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him. If God let His son suffer, why not us?
There is nothing, and I mean nothing, that God can't cause you to overcome. 20 years later, evangelizing, street preaching, 100's of thousand Gospel tracks distributed here and overseas, is proof our Lord has a plan for all of us. I could have lost all that if I refused to go through that fire. Jesus learned obedience through the things He suffered, so can we. He has given us life for His purpose, not ours, so if you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on, your deliverance is on the way. IMHO.

Goodboy

Won't Be Long Now!
Respectfully, I must disagree. I find no scripture justifying suicide, which is, imo, murder. Or euthanasia for that matter. We are not our own.1Cor.6:20. I have come very close to it my self while suffering the worst things the enemy can send to a believer. (Gun in mouth pulling on trigger) God stopped me. I know the devil tries to talk us into destructive acts first hand. "God loves you' God doesn't want you to suffer like this" "God Understands" " God wants this pain to stop". Heard it all, nothing but lies from the pit of hell.
Isa_53:10  Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him. If God let His son suffer, why not us?
There is nothing, and I mean nothing, that God can't cause you to overcome. 20 years later, evangelizing, street preaching, 100's of thousand Gospel tracks distributed here and overseas, is proof our Lord has a plan for all of us. I could have lost all that if I refused to go through that fire. Jesus learned obedience through the things He suffered, so can we. He has given us life for His purpose, not ours, so if you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on, your deliverance is on the way. IMHO.

Just wondering who you are disagreeing with? Who in this thread has stated that the Bible justifies suicide?

Andy C

Im a little confused by your post. Do you believe you can lose salvation because of suicide? Also, I think we all agree suicide is a sin.

lenraff

Im a little confused by your post. Do you believe you can lose salvation because of suicide? Also, I think we all agree suicide is a sin.
AndyC, I take the word literal.
Rev_21:8  But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
Rev_22:15  For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.
I realize I may take a lot of heat for not believing osas covering for everything, but in this case it is clear from Scripture that unrepentant murder precludes you from heaven. Whether it's self murder or murder of a stranger, I see no difference in the words of Jesus here. If this portion of scripture means something else, I'm happy to listen, but again I take God's word literal.

lenraff

Just wondering who you are disagreeing with? Who in this thread has stated that the Bible justifies suicide?
The short answer: I guess everyone that believes unrepentant murderers go to heaven.
I have to disagree that suicides are accepted into heaven. I realize it's not popular, but it's scripture. Unless I'm missing something, Jesus said this. Imho, we always should find our answers to even the hardest things in the word.
Rev_21:8  But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
Rev_22:15  For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.
Will there be murderers in Heaven? Absolutely, Washed in the blood repentant murderers.

Last edited:

Goodboy

Won't Be Long Now!
The short answer: I guess everyone that believes unrepentant murderers go to heaven.
I have to disagree that suicides are accepted into heaven. I realize it's not popular, but it's scripture. Unless I'm missing something, Jesus said this. Imho, we always should find our answers to even the hardest things in the word.
Will there be murderers in Heaven? Absolutely, Washed in the blood repentant murderers.
Thanks for the reply. :)

So let's be clear on what you believe and what I believe.

I believe that anyone who truly accepts Jesus Christ as their Savior will go to Heaven with no other requirements.

It would seem that you believe that anyone who truly accepts Jesus Christ as their Savior and does not murder or commit other bad sins after salvation goes to Heaven. Is that correct?

lenraff

Thanks for the reply. :)

So let's be clear on what you believe and what I believe.

I believe that anyone who truly accepts Jesus Christ as their Savior will go to Heaven with no other requirements.

It would seem that you believe that anyone who truly accepts Jesus Christ as their Savior and does not murder or commit other bad sins after salvation goes to Heaven. Is that correct?
Just to be clear, I believe that's what this portion scripture says concerning murder. What do you believe this scripture says? I'm not saying my opinion here I'm quoting the words of Jesus. If you would correct me doctrinally I welcome it. I don't want anyone to be lost, but the word has the answer for every problem we face, and suicide is not one of them.

Goodboy

Won't Be Long Now!
Just to be clear, I believe that's what this portion scripture says concerning murder. What do you believe this scripture says? I'm not saying my opinion here I'm quoting the words of Jesus. If you would correct me doctrinally I welcome it. I don't want anyone to be lost, but the word has the answer for every problem we face, and suicide is not one of them.

I am not interested in debating with you, I just asked you a simple question about what you believe. If you don't want to answer, that's fine. :) It's kind of hard for me to "correct you doctrinally" without understanding what it is you believe.

The scriptures you quoted below do not just speak of murders.

So then based on your interpretation of those scriptures, anyone who lies after accepting Jesus Christ as their Savior will not go to Heaven correct?

Last edited:
Back