Stupid Internet Search Engines

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Has anyone else noticed internet search engine search results have suddenly gotten far less usable? As in more random and widely flung, instead of relevant to what was searched for? And known websites that should come up on searches not coming up at all, or only way, way down the list (like several pages or more back)?

Not just one search engine, either. Every one that I've tried :frown

Any way to fix this? Is this a result of internet equality, censorship, or?

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, I don't think it's going off the rails, my friends. I think it is all the purposed result (or in some cases an accidental side effect) of the deliberate actions of those who control technology today trying to control what information we have access to.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
In the beginning of the WWW, it took some imaginative thinking sometimes to find what you were looking for. Search engines reached a point where they became excellent and almost always dished up what you wanted or something that you could use. Then monetization became more important and now serving up sponsor sites trumps serving up what you're looking for. I'd say that maybe beginning a couple of years ago or so searches began trending downhill, and that trend continues.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
In the beginning of the WWW, it took some imaginative thinking sometimes to find what you were looking for. Search engines reached a point where they became excellent and almost always dished up what you wanted or something that you could use. Then monetization became more important and now serving up sponsor sites trumps serving up what you're looking for. I'd say that maybe beginning a couple of years ago or so searches began trending downhill, and that trend continues.

Once upon a time, the search engines employed librarians to catalogue and organize material. Such organization was based on Library of Congress, Dewey Decimal, and other information cataloging systems.

Many years ago, librarians, who have Master's Degrees and beyond just to be librarians, were replaced with technicians of some sort. Search results went downhill, but were still mostly usable. No idea about when AI started to get used.

It's just that very recently searches have suddenly become virtually unusable. I wish Tor had its own search engine, instead of using the Duck, because Duck is just as messed up as everyone else right now :furious :rant :mad :wild :frust

GEOINTAnalyst

A lot of strange results from search engines is usually caused by one or more extensions/add-ons that you have installed on to your browser - some will inject ads into your search - start removing one at a time to see which one is causing the issue