Study Bibles:

katt

My son asked me for the New Living Translation Amplified Parallel Study Bible, I can't seem to find it, does anyone know anything about it..

Another question:
Does anyone know what the best study Bible is?..

And one more Question..was it the pilgrams or puritons that left England, went to Holland, then came here, bringing another version of the Bible than The KJV, they didn't like King James, so they wouldn't use his Bible, if there is someone who knows their history better than I do, can you please tell me the name of the Bible they used?..I'd like to order it if it's still in print...

I did run across The Interlinear Bible: Greek/Hebrew Translation..which I'm going to order for myself...

Anyhow, any help you guys can provide will be greatly appreciated..thank you very much..

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
And one more Question..was it the pilgrams or puritons that left England, went to Holland,

The Pilgrims spent several years in Holland before traveling to America. I believe it was the "Geneva' bible that the pilgrims brought with them. They weren't keen on using the Bible of the English king... Amazon and probably others has the Geneva Bible 1560 edition/version.

Wings Like Eagles

New Living Translation is not the best for a study bible. It's ok for reading or devotionals but for actual study, something closer to the originals would be better. Best, I think, are New American Standard Bible or New King James study bibles. Of course, the one he will actually read/use is the best one to get.
Yes. I like the narrative flow of the NLT and it is good for young people because they have a hard time deciphering the King James or even the New King James. The NLT is called a "dynamic translation" which just means that it flows better, making it easier to read and comprehend. But, you are right that, if you are going to do an intensive study (without going back to the original languages) the NASB is the best word-for-word translation of the Greek to English (for the New Testament). My Messianic Jewish friend likes the old New International Version (1986, iirc) for the Hebrew to English-says it reads the most like the original Hebrew. She often reads the Tanakh--our Old Testament, (technically, Torah is just the first five books)--in Hebrew. She says that the Psalms are much better in Hebrew because she feels that the beauty of the Hebrew poetry can only be appreciated, by reading it in Hebrew. One difficult problem with ancient Hebrew is that there are only about 5,000 words in it (English has about 120,000 with more words invented every day). Trying to draw English equivalents from the O.T. text is awkward and frustrating.

But RonJohnSilver is right that the Bible a young person will actually read and comprehend is the best one to start them off with.

Last edited:

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
I think the Henry Morris Study Bible is the best study Bible.

Creationist, literal. Young Earth. Seriously extensive notes on Genesis especially. KJV. Good appendices.

The Bible is large and heavy, and if this is a problem, a Defender's or New Defender's Study Bible (also edited by Henry Morris) is excellent alternative. Also Creationist, literal, and young earth. KJV.

:pray :pray :amen :amen

mattfivefour

If you do not want a KJV or even an NKJV translation for a study Bible, but still want an accurate translation rather than a paraphrase, look at study bibles that use either the New American Standard Bible (NASB), the English Standard Version (ESV), or Holman's Christian Standard Bible (CSB) translation. The New Living Translation (NLT) is very good for a beginning reading version, but being a paraphrase it does not hold up for serious Bible study. As to study notes, for practical study I like the Life Application Study Bible that comes in both NASB and the CSB translations. And there is also a good Student Study Bible that comes in the ESV translation.

katt

If you do not want a KJV or even an NKJV translation for a study Bible, but still want an accurate translation rather than a paraphrase, look at study bibles that use either the New American Standard Bible (NASB), the English Standard Version (ESV), or Holman's Christian Standard Bible (CSB) translation. The New Living Translation (NLT) is very good for a beginning reading version, but being a paraphrase it does not hold up for serious Bible study. As to study notes, for practical study I like the Life Application Study Bible that comes in both NASB and the CSB translations. And there is also a good Student Study Bible that comes in the ESV translation.
Do any of these study bibles have maps?..I just spoke with him the other day and he stressed, it has to be easy for him to read and understand as well as have maps...

I wouldn't mind getting one of your recommendations for myself...

mattfivefour

Here's part of the write-up for the ESV Student Study Bible:

With 12,000 clear, concise study notes, the ESV Student Study Bible provides numerous other features―including nearly 900 “Did You Know?” facts, 120 Bible character profiles, and 10 topical articles. It also features a glossary of key terms, more than 80 maps and illustrations, an extensive concordance, and 80,000 cross-references. These and many other features make it the most comprehensive and content-rich student Bible available today.​

For yourself, here is an excerpt from a write-up for the Holman Christian Standard Life Application Study Bible:

The Life Application Study Bible is today’s #1–selling study Bible. The notes not only explain difficult passages and give information on Bible life and times but also go a step further to show you how to “take it personally,” speaking to every situation and circumstance of your life! This is the one Bible resource that incorporates today’s top scholarship in answering your real-life questions. It includes nearly 10,000 Life Application notes and features designed to help readers apply God’s truth to everyday life.​

Hope that helps.

katt

I found one I thought would be easy for him to read and understand...

ESV Student Study Bible​

I had it sent to him, I hope eventually he grows out of it and wants a more intense type study bible, but for now..I think this will work for him..thank you all for your help...

Back