Strictly For Recipes From RF Members' Kitchens

mbrown1219

Heaven's Stables
I'm starting a thread strictly for recipes since these "gems" get buried in an avalanche of posting on another thread. Post away all you RF kitchen scientists!

I hope you like them!

PUMPKIN SPICE COOKIES

1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup pumpkin puree (I use canned pumpkin)
1 egg
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. + 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cream together butter and sugar. Add pumpkin puree, egg, and vanilla and mix well.
In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until well combined. Drop by rounded tablespoons on to a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
Bake for 10-12 minutes until cookies are very lightly browned around the edges.

CINNAMON CREAM CHEESE ICING

8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup butter, softened
3 cups powdered confectioner’s sugar
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon
Cream together butter and cream cheese. Add brown sugar, vanilla and cinnamon and mix until creamy and well combined.
Mix in the powdered sugar until the icing is the proper consistency.

mbrown1219

Heaven's Stables
Red beans (and rice) New Orleans style by Susan

Cooking a big pot of red beans and judging by how good they smell right now, they're gonna be great! So it's red beans and rice with smoked sausage and french bread...yum, yum!

I like to soak the beans covered in water overnight. The next day, drain the water and add fresh water to the pot. Slice your smoked sausage a little thicker than a quarter...I like to at least have enough to cover the bottom in my frying pan. So add some oil and fry lightly or saute along with garlic, onions and celery until onions are translucent. Scrape the bottom of the frying pan when emptying it into the pot of beans. If you have ham chunks (cooking meat) to add, that is excellent. I add 2 bay leaves and coarse black pepper and let her cook on low for about 2 hrs. The 3rd hour I add thyme(about 1/4 teaspoon) and Kosher salt and turn the heat up a little higher and by the 4th hour should be tender and the liquid should be thickening up nicely. When you turn the heat up be sure to stir frequently or they will stick to the bottom.
:shrug Pick your own rice of choice I guess.

mbrown1219

Heaven's Stables
Chicken fried chicken, corn pudding, green beans and country gravy.

Chicken breasts are so huge nowadays. I fillet the meat from the bone, soak them in salt water, pound them flat with a rolling pin :pin, then spread them out on a rack with seasoning, salt and pepper. Dredge them in flour, then dip in egg wash and then flour again. They have to rest on a rack once again until I can heat the oil...oh it goes on and on.
Let's remember to fry them to golden brown in that heated oil!!

mbrown1219

Heaven's Stables
Baked apples by Susan

Tis the season for apples!

For dinner as a side, chop or slice 3 or 4 apples sprinkled with lemon juice and place in a small glass casserole dish. Sprinkle with a couple tablespoons of brown and a couple of white sugar and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Mix well, then cover with aluminum foil and bake in 400 oven for about 30 minutes.
Or use as a topping for ice cream for dessert

PS I use about 2 T. more sugar for tart apples

mbrown1219

Heaven's Stables
Make your own pickled eggs, easy peasy, Dawn's recipe.

Hello! I don't know if any of you like "pickled eggs" but if you do, I have a super easy and delicious recipe for you!

1. Get a large jar of your favorite dill pickles ( I use Vlasic Kosher whole dill pickles, the really big jar)

2. When you finish all your pickles, save all the pickle juice in the jar and hard boil how ever many eggs you want to pickle ( I usually boil 1/2 dozen)

3. Shell the eggs and put them in the pickle jar ( make sure the are completely covered with the pickle juice)

4. Let sit in the fridge for a few days ( the longer they soak in the juice the better they get) I usually serve them on the 3rd day or so.

Hope you enjoy!

mbrown1219

Heaven's Stables
Crockpot Camp Stew by VMoon

Crockpot camp stew. Easy breezy..
2 cups chicken
1lb ground beef
10 oz ketchup
1/4 cup worchester sauce
lemon juice ( I just put about a teaspoon full)
1 potato
1 onion
2 cans cream style corn
2 cans crushed tomatoes

I cheated and used the breast from a rotisserie chicken
brown and drain the ground beef before adding it to the crockpot
just add the rest and slow cook.

Now this is good but not as good as the kind the men folks cook all night for a fund raiser. Still... to me this is a keeper. :thumbup

mbrown1219

Heaven's Stables
Al's Norwegian Breakfast Smoothie, I presume!

Smoothie for breakfast.
Ingredients:
Whole milk, wheat bran, oats, brewers yeast, almonds, banana, blueberries, strawberries,
carrots, shredded cabbage, leaf spinach, ten drops of stevia, scoop of whipped cream

I also eat 1 oz. of roasted soy nuts for x-tra protein, and this concoction keeps me going for 6 hours.
The only thing he seems to measure is the Stevia and the roasted soy nuts. So experiment with the measurements folks!

mbrown1219

Heaven's Stables
Oh down here hot sauce on veggies is common. Tonight we're having Large Limas(white beans) and rice. I cook them with hot smoked sausage, bay leaf, garlic, thyme,black pepper, cayenne and a little ham (if I have it) and at the table we use Tabasco and/or Lousiana Hot Sauce on top of beans and rice. Served with a slice or two of french bread
We southerners use a 'pepper sauce' on our peas and greens. It is actually peppers that are fermented in vinegar and depending on the peppers you use, it is generally mild.
Veggies southern style by Susan

pixelpusher

Best okra

Get a mess of okra, cut off the funky bits at the ends, and split the pods lengthwise. If the are fat pods, you can quarter them. Handle gently to avoid slime out. Gather your pile of split okra and drizzle it liberally with olive oil and mix it all around gently. Lay the pieces out open side up ok a baking sheet, or rack or holey baking sheet, single layer, and sprinkle with whatever spices and herbs seem good to you. Salt, pepper, garlic (or minced garlic), red pepper flakes, fajita seasoning, Parmesan cheese, whatever. Bake them at 450 for 25-30 mins, or put em 2-3 inches under the broiler on high for 7-12, 15 minutes, monitor carefully. A little burn is ok, too much would be a disaster. Cook to desired doneness. Mine come out somewhere just shy of crispy, but very delicious, whole family including kids love them. I am trying for crispier, thinking about salt-purging them for a few minutes before oiling, and patting them dry, get rid of some of the water up front. It'd be great on the grill, but they'd fall through my veggie basket. I need to make a finer meshed sandwiched rack or something for them.

mbrown1219

Heaven's Stables
From Al's Kitchen

Al's Norwegian Chili :nod

3/4 pound smoked sausage (cut in small pieces)
½ small onion
2 garlic clove, minced
1 can (15-1/2 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15 ounces) chili beans, not drained
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
10 oz. Beef boullion (I mix my own from Orrington Farms granules)
1 tsp. Chili powder
1/3 tsp ground cumin
black pepper to taste
½ tsp garlic salt
Serve with shredded cheese if desired.

mbrown1219

Heaven's Stables
From Mary Cole's kitchen

Slow cooked pot roast. I take chuck roast out of the freezer and put it in the slow cooker, add 1 carton of beef broth and 1 bay leaf, turn the slow cooker on low for 8 hours. It comes out so tender you can cut it with a fork and it almost melts in your mouth. The broth also makes excellent, very tasty gravy for both the roast and mashed potatoes. Add some steamed broccoli to that and you've got dinner. With the leftover beef and broth, I cube the beef, put it back in the broth and add a ton of soup veggies and slow cook that for several hours (the next day, of course). While that is cooking, I boil some spaghetti or fettuccine noodles, broken into 2 inch segments. When the noodles are done, I add the cooked noodles to the soup. Season with salt/pepper as needed.
Mary's extra tips for a tender pot roast

You need a roast with the thin lines of fat evenly distributed. I would say cook about 1/2 pound of roast per person at a minimum (more, if you want to later make soup with the leftovers). I have a 5 or 6 qt Crock Pot "Smart Pot" with different buttons you can push....4 hr, 6 hr, 8 hr, 10 hr or warm. I put it on the 8 hour setting at 10 am so it will be done around 6 pm. After I place the roast in the crock pot, I pour one carton (32 oz, or 2 lb) of beef broth from the soup aisle of the grocery store, and I also add 1 bay leaf. Don't touch the roast at all during the entire 8 hours of cooking. Leave the lid on the entire time.

mbrown1219

Heaven's Stables
3 ingredient peanut butter cookies from VMoon's kitchen

One cup sugar, one egg, one cup peanut butter. Mix together, spoon drop onto cookie sheet, place in a oven at 350. bake until the see the edges BEGIN to turn brown. Take out of oven and let stand on cookie sheet for a few minutes to "stiffen" they will be ooie gooie and wonderful. It doesn't take long at all for them bake so keep an eye on them.

You can use crunchy peanut butter and if you want to you can use brown sugar. You can even add just a tad of vanilla flavoring if you want to. One time I even frosted them with chocolate frosting. I'm telling ya... easy easy easy. Beware.... will make the numbers on the scales increase. :lol:

ReadyforSupper

Wow Mary! How kind of you! That musta taken a while! :hug

Here are two, extremely fast and extremely good recipes. I get more compliments on my kitchen short cuts! (I'm not fond of actual food, so cooking for long periods of time make me not want to eat at all. Desserts, I can eat all day:rolleyes)

5 Ingredient Casserole (hijacked from another forum)

Three medium potatoes (or two large)
Three medium onions (Or two large)
One Kielbasa sausage (summer sausage doesn't have enough oil)
Salt/pepper

Slice potatoes thin(ish), layer in the bottom of a casserole dish, add salt and pepper to taste
Slice onions, layer on top of taters, salt and pepper to taste
Slice kielbasa, layer on top of onions

Bake in an oven at 350 for 35 minutes. I leave the top on until the last 10 minutes then take the top off to let the sausage brown.

The juices from the meat and onions will completely cook and infuse the potatoes with flavor. This is the most simple dish I've ever made and there's never any left over and Eddie HATES onions! He'll eat this though.

Almond Bars

2 Cups sugar
4 Eggs
1 Cup butter
2 Cups flour
1 tbsp almond extract

Blend sugar and eggs until lemon yellow (don't beat too much if you're using fresh eggs, it'll whip up and make it foamy which makes for a more "eggy" batter)
Add the butter, blend that in, mix in the extract and mix add the flour a bit at a time, this gets really thick. Spread it EVENLY in a 9x13 prepared pan. I use shortening. Bake for 35 minutes at 325. This won't brown on top, but the shortening helps the bottom brown and that's what you're going to see.

Loosen around the edges with a knife, let it cool for about 15 minutes (or ten if you're in cooler weather), turn it out onto a cookie sheet, sprinkle powdered sugar over it lightly, cut into 1x3" bars.

These, like the casserole, don't look like much. The first time I took them to the church dinner, nobody was impressed...until pastor asked over the mic, who made these and could he give the recipe to his wife. The entire pan disappeared and I had to go and type out and copy the recipe in the church office!

They're probably very fattening, but they're REALLY good.

Almond extract is about to become very expensive. If anyone wants a link to an almond grower that sells extract by the quart ($15), let me know.

araj54

Thank you Mary Brown for your labor of love in transporting these recipes
from the jungle to the corral for easier access.. :hug :hug

mbrown1219

Heaven's Stables
I found what I was looking for!!! :yeah:

CINNAMON ROLLS

Basic Sweet-Roll Dough

1/2 cup water
1/2 cup whole milk
1 pk active dry yeast
1/4 cup sugar
4 tablespoons melted and slightly cooled butter
1 egg yolk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
scant of salt

1. Warm water and milk only until 100 to 110 degrees. Remove from heat and sprinkle the yeast on top, then sprinkle a pinch of sugar, set aside, undisturbed, until foamy, about 5 minutes.

2. Whisk melted butter, egg yolk and vanilla into the yeast mixture until combined. In a large bowl, whisk flour and sugar and salt. Make a well in the center, then add the yeast mixture and stir with wooden spoon to make a thick and slightly sticky dough. Turn out onto floured surface and knead until soft and elastic. This is the hard part. It takes anywhere from 6-10 minutes. Shape into ball.

3. Brush a large bowl with butter. Add the ball of dough, turning it to coat lightly with butter. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise at room temp until dough is doubled in size, about 1 hour and 15 minutes

4. Turn the dough out of the bowl and knead briefly to release excess air, reform into ball and return to bowl. Lightly butter a piece of plastic wrap and lay it directly on top of the dough. Then cover the bowl tightly with another piece of plastic wrap and refrigerator at least 4 hrs or overnight.

For the Rolls

1 1/2 sticks softened butter
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 Tablespoons ground cinnamon

For the Glaze

1 1/4 cups confectioner's sugar
4 Tablespoons melted butter
3 Tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
pinch of salt

1. Make the rolls: Butter a 9 by 13 baking dish. Whisk the sugar and cinnamon in a bowl On floured surface, roll out the dough into a 10 by 18 inch rectangle. Spread the butter over the dough
leaving a 1 inch border on one of the long sides. Top with cinnamon and sugar. Brush the clean border with water. Tightly roll the dough into an 18 inch log, rolling toward the clean border. Then pinch the seam to seal.

2. Slip a long taunt piece of thread or floss under the the roll, about 1 1/2 inches from the end. Lift the ends of the thread and cross over the roll, pulling tightly to cut a piece. . Repeat cutting every 1 1/2 inches to make 12 rolls. Place rolls in prepared dish.

3. Cover the rolls loosely with plastic wrap and let rise in warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour 10 minutes.

4. Preheat oven to 350. Uncover the rolls and bake until they spring back when pressed, 25-30 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes in the pan

5. Make the glaze: Whisk the confectioner's sugar, melted butter, milk, vanilla and salt in bowl until smooth. Drizzle over warm rolls.

Enjoy!

mbrown1219

Heaven's Stables
Another great Mary Cole recipe, actually 2!

I made homemade veggie beef and noodle soup. I had saved about 3/4 of my chuck roast that I slow cooked with a carton of beef broth, so I cubed the beef. Then I put the beef in the slow cooker along with the broth and added the same amount of water to the pot (so there will be plenty of soup - half broth and half water together). Then I added tons of frozen veggies - peas, carrots, corn, green beans, zucchini, etc. Turned the crock pot on high for 4 hours. About an hour before the soup was done, I broke up some fettuccine noodles about 2 inches in length, and boiled them on the stove until done. Then I drained the noodles and added them to the soup until the soup was finished cooking. It makes a lot of soup....you can freeze as much as a dozen individual serving sizes in the freezer and take them out one at a time per person whenever you want hot veggie beef soup..especially on cold winter's nights.
Baked Mostaccioli loaded with Mozzarella and Parmesan Cheeses. Add some garlic toast to that. :nod Spaghetti sauce with browned ground beef and cooked veggies, boiled mostaccioli noodles, mix them altogether in the spaghetti pot. Then transfer half of the mix to a large baking dish, then spread half package of shredded mozzarella cheese on top, and sprinkle parmesan cheese on top of that. Then add the remaining pasta with meat sauce on top of that, and then add the rest of the shredded mozzarella cheese on top of that, and finally sprinkle more parmesan cheese. Bake in the oven at 350 for a half hour.

anath

I Love the Lord
Wow:surprised Thank you Mary, this will be very helpful. Just the other day I was trying to find Viv's peanut butter cookie recipe and a few weeks back, Mary Cole's
baked Italian dish. Bless you sis :hug

Kem

Citizen
Mary, this thread is a wonderful idea. Thank you! :hug

Kem's Colonel mom's oven fried chicken.
Heat about 1/2 or more cup coconut oil and 1 stick butter in a 9X13 cake pan in a 350 oven till melted. Meanwhile dip chicken breasts with both the skin and bone into milk or beaten egg. In another dish combine about 1 cup or more almond meal with one packet Good Seasonings salad dressing dry mix and a teasp or two of paprika. You can add some Mrs.Dash and more salt to this according to taste (the amounts will depend on how many chicken pieces you are frying)

Now coat the chicken with the almond flour mixture. Bake at 350 for an hour or so turning the pieces half way through. The length of time will depend on the size of the pieces so keep an eye on it after 45 minutes or so. Also for some reason chicken without the skin does not come out as tasty so definitely get skin on chicken pieces. I should add that the original recipe called for Bisquick rather than the almond meal but dh and I like it better with almond meal.