Storing treasure in Heaven

InsuranceGuy

If we do "good" things here that are from the heart, that builds up our treasure in Heaven, correct? I'm sort of confused on one aspect. Let's say there is a rich Christian and a Middle Class Christian. The rich guy donates tons of money to Christian Charities or Churches. It doesn't make much of a difference to him as he never misses the money. The Middle Class guy donates his time to those in need (pick whatever need you want) and will give money when able, sometimes more than he can afford. Are the rewards the same? It's just a stupid thought of mine, but when I make a donation, I always feel like I'm not giving enough, so there would be no reward. I don't do it to get a reward, and am not thinking that way when I donate, but sometimes afterwards I'll think about it and feel like I should have done more. If you can give more, but do not (even though you did donate), are you then considered cheap by God?

Goodboy

If we do "good" things here that are from the heart, that builds up our treasure in Heaven, correct? I'm sort of confused on one aspect. Let's say there is a rich Christian and a Middle Class Christian. The rich guy donates tons of money to Christian Charities or Churches. It doesn't make much of a difference to him as he never misses the money. The Middle Class guy donates his time to those in need (pick whatever need you want) and will give money when able, sometimes more than he can afford. Are the rewards the same? It's just a stupid thought of mine, but when I make a donation, I always feel like I'm not giving enough, so there would be no reward. I don't do it to get a reward, and am not thinking that way when I donate, but sometimes afterwards I'll think about it and feel like I should have done more. If you can give more, but do not (even though you did donate), are you then considered cheap by God?
God will reward you based on what he has given you, so then the more he gives you the more he requires of you.

Luk 12:48 But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.

Luk 21:1 And he looked up, and saw the rich men casting their gifts into the treasury.
Luk 21:2 And he saw also a certain poor widow casting in thither two mites.
Luk 21:3 And he said, Of a truth I say unto you, that this poor widow hath cast in more than they all:
Luk 21:4 For all these have of their abundance cast in unto the offerings of God: but she of her penury hath cast in all the living that she had.

You may want to read the thread I started below.
https://www.raptureforums.com/forums/threads/where-are-all-my-rewards.143345/

InsuranceGuy

Thank you. This is a great reply and what I was looking for. So if we are able, should we give all we have? I don't mind that at all. God has given me all I need here and I'm not a money person in terms of "I want more money". On that note, give first or after the bills are paid? I waste money on stupid things and God has blessed me, so it's time to give it back.

Anewcreationinjesus

Theres that scripture about giving cheerfully as someone is led to give :)

There's also that wonderful scripture about walking in good works prepared in advance for us to be doing (post salvation of course)... I reckon, alongside sharing the gospel and prayer, that even the little things concerning those around us.... For example, humorously enough, a lady had toilet roll stuck to her shoe coming out of a public toilet and I quickly bent down and took it off for her :) the thought of her bring embarrassed walking round town like that unawares.... Then even today a guy dropped a ten pound note out of his pocket going into a shop, not aware he had, I was able to pick it up and give it him.... Just little things like that :)

I do wonder how the bema seat will work... Maybe things that we are not even aware of here! :)

Goodboy

Thank you. This is a great reply and what I was looking for. So if we are able, should we give all we have? I don't mind that at all. God has given me all I need here and I'm not a money person in terms of "I want more money". On that note, give first or after the bills are paid? I waste money on stupid things and God has blessed me, so it's time to give it back.
What you decide to give is totally up to you, so I can't answer that for you. I would suggest that you give after you pay all your bills though.

Each of us have to decide just how comfortable we want to be here on earth verses eternity. That said, the Bible say we should not store up treasures as if we are going to always be here. What good will all you store up be to you when you die?

Judy4Jesus

Giving doesnt have to be financially...but what are you willing to give that will COST you.
You are a super shy and anxious around alot of people, but someone needs YOU to fill in for the big speech or sing the solo at church...you do it, that's giving! You really are not at ease with little kids, but that neighbor mom has an emergency and needs your help sitting with her children for the afternoon...you do it, that's giving. Etc...
Time, talent and treasure...all gifts from God. Are we willing to share? My favorite Pastor on TV (Dr Charles Stanley) always says "We reap what we sow, more than we sow, later than we sow". Let's sow MUCH GOOD SEED here while we reap the GOOD TREASURE in Heaven!

cavalier973

The late, great Chuck Missler and other prophesy teachers implied that the Bema Seat judgement could be a time of regret for some Christians, but I think it will be rather a raucous good time for everyone, with a lot of cheering and clapping and slapping each other on the back. We will have feelings of gratitude, and of being flabbergasted at the extent of God's goodness and grace toward us.

Last edited:

ByGod'sGrace

I always thought that the treasures were other souls that became saved, and how God used you in their lives to plant, water, or encourage them in their walk? That would be the best treasure, in my opinion, to see faces of people who God placed in your life and you in theirs, to help them or encourage them, share verses, etc., maybe even be the one to share the gospel with them. ?

ByGod'sGrace

The late, great Chuck Missler and other prophesy teachers implied that the Bema Seat judgement could be a time of regret for some Christians, but I think it will be rather a raucous good time for everyone, with a lot of cheering and clapping and slapping each other on the back. We will have feelings of gratitude, and of being flabbergasted at the extent of God's goodness and grace toward us.
I wondered about that too if there would be any sense of shame or regret at falling short of some measure of what could have been verses what happened in our lives and what is judged at the BEMA seat, but God already knew us from the beginning of time, and all the "rewards" are only because of Jesus, so they really aren't for us, they are to show glory to God. I used to worry about this a lot (legalism background) and dreaded even in tears the thought of facing God and His disappointment. But then I had to get over it, because God doesn't want is to live in fear, shame, etc. I think of the Prodigal Son story a lot in how I view the nature of God...He runs to us with arms opened wide....no shame or disappointment in that story about the son.

Jan51

I wondered about that too if there would be any sense of shame or regret at falling short of some measure of what could have been verses what happened in our lives and what is judged at the BEMA seat, but God already knew us from the beginning of time, and all the "rewards" are only because of Jesus, so they really aren't for us, they are to show glory to God. I used to worry about this a lot (legalism background) and dreaded even in tears the thought of facing God and His disappointment. But then I had to get over it, because God doesn't want is to live in fear, shame, etc. I think of the Prodigal Son story a lot in how I view the nature of God...He runs to us with arms opened wide....no shame or disappointment in that story about the son.
Yes, I too struggled with fears of shame at that time. But you are right, we are to anticipate the rapture with joy, not dread.

GoldenEagle

This sounds stupid now I’ve come to start writing it down..but, I’ve often wished we could, like in mock exams, get the ‘results’ now, so we can amend our lives if we’re majorly off point anywhere. I know we walk by faith, are led by the Holy Spirit and His Word, are promised He is able to make us perfect and bold on that Day.., to show us if we’re lacking somewhere...I really should believe this more...I just worry if I’ve totally missed or got wrong something God has called me to do.

ByGod'sGrace

This sounds stupid now I’ve come to start writing it down..but, I’ve often wished we could, like in mock exams, get the ‘results’ now, so we can amend our lives if we’re majorly off point anywhere. I know we walk by faith, are led by the Holy Spirit and His Word, are promised He is able to make us perfect and bold on that Day.., to show us if we’re lacking somewhere...I really should believe this more...I just worry if I’ve totally missed or got wrong something God has called me to do.
I definitely feel with you in this post...I think the fact you are even thinking about it means that your heart is in the right place. I always think of the greatest of these is LOVE, so if you are loving others, being that light of love in strangers' lives, or family or friends, or anyone you meet, that is the highest calling....to love others.

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
Anyone who welcomes a prophet because he is a prophet will receive a prophet’s reward. And anyone who welcomes a righteous person because he’s righteous will receive a righteous person’s reward. And whoever gives just a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is a disciple—I assure you: He will never lose his reward!”

Matt 10:41-42

Sounds like giving money is not the only award earning action. I think there's much that God will recognize in our actions of love and kindness towards others and perhaps how we respond to the leading of the Spirit, not just giving financially. Although, some who've been blessed financially God has used to bless others and further ministries.

Each person should do as he has decided in his heart—not reluctantly or out of necessity, for God loves a cheerful giver. 2 Cor 9:7

I love this passage. It takes coercion, guilt tripping or 'you have to!!' out of the equation of giving and makes wonderful room and freedom to allow what's in our hearts as prompted by God or just from our own thankfulness to bubble up and flow out.

At the same time there is no pressure to give funds one simply does not have or needs for neccesities to live.

It's a great answer to these false "prophets, apostles, pastors and teachers" who constantly threaten this or that spiritual doom in your life if you don't give your 'certain amount'.

My kids would hate me if I did that to them. Their freely offering to help in the ways they can and what they are able in their lives (like helping around the house, cards and presents here and there) warms my heart and blesses me. Most especially because it's willingly out of the goodness, love and thankfulness in their hearts.

I do believe that God does prompt certain giving thats not normal at times, but usually from within the heart not pressure from a fast talking religious sales man (or woman).

My own experience has been out of a surplus of funds at the time rather than from our grocery needs.

That can be a real blessing for others and for the giver as they see how God is very much working in providing and in recognizing His prompts in your life.

I will say, the well timed phone call to encourage, or that card in the mail to let me know I've been prayed for or somone who just listens compassionately can be a wonderful gift that I believe God rewards as well. :)

Prayerfully seeking God in how He would encourage us to give, whether time, money, actions I have found is a great way to go.

Last edited:

antitox

I think there will be a falling short at the Bema Seat. Because the purpose of that moment of judgment is exposure; to bring us out of hiding. Man has been hiding from the beginning, That's when A&E went and hid themselves when God walked up. And we've been hiding things all our lives - for whatever reason. It all must come out. And we will cry. And He will step up, wipe the tears from our eyes, and say: "It's ok. All is done. You're with me now. I will never bring these issues up with you again. Now....come and enter the joy of my Father."

antitox

As to the question of whether we should give away everything. When you look at different examples of Jesus's call to certain people he encountered it shows that some were asked to give up everything and follow him and some weren't. When the demoniac (at Gadera) asked to follow him, Jesus refused and told him to go tell everyone what God has done for him. When the rich young ruler came to Jesus, he was told to sell all he had and come follow him. Everyone has a particular call in life and the requirements may not be the same. The best thing for each of us is to do what he guides us to do. He won't fail us. He can't.