Stories of fear in the bible.

nillapoet

I'm trying to find stories of people that were filled with fear or worry in the Bible. I already have Jonah. Any other ones you can think of would be great. Thanks in advance. I'm trying to search online but nothing worthwhile is coming up.

Any Minute

Tetelestai !!
Do you mean fear in general? Or fear of the Lord?

Off the top of my head Belshazzar comes to mind, Daniel 5:6
Some serious knee knocking going on there!:hehheh

ReadyforSupper

David and Bathsheba. David experienced great anxiety when he came to himself and had to face God.

Elisha's servant. Elisha was being pursued by King Aram and the servant was terribly afraid.

Pilate was apparently more than unnerved by his encounters with Christ. John 19:8 says Pilate was "even more afraid"

That's just off the top of my head, I never actually thought about it, lol! Now that I am thinking about it, I'll remember something else

iSong6:3

When the centurion and those guarding Jesus saw what happened at His death, they were terrified. Matthew 27:54

Do you mean stories of believers, in particular, who were afraid or worried?

ETA: Abraham twice was afraid that Sarah would be taken and himself killed, so he told a half-truth or a lie that she was his sister. Re: Pharaoh Genesis 12:10-13 and re: Abimelech Genesis 20:1-2

ReadyforSupper

If sheer stress works, Jesus in the garden. He was under so much stress that he experienced hematidrosis (sweating blood caused by extreme emotion).

Any Minute

Tetelestai !!
Fear like anxiety. Not fear of the lord.

Others have given some great examples of those who have dealt with fear and anxiety, there are many more in the scriptures.I realize this wasn’t your question but here are a few comforting verses dealing with anxiety. There are many more, make sure to read in context though.

Philippians 4:6-7 NASB
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

1 Peter 5:6-7 NASB
Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time, casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you

1 John 4:18 NASB
There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear [a]involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love.

John 14:27
Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful.

Romans 8:31-39 NASB
What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who is against us? He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him over for us all, how will He not also with Him freely give us all things? Who will bring a charge against God’s elect? God is the one who justifies; who is the one who condemns? Christ Jesus is He who died, yes, rather who was raised, who is at the right hand of God, who also intercedes for us. Who will separate us from the love of Christ? Will tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? Just as it is written,

“For Your sake we are being put to death all day long;
We were considered as sheep to be slaughtered.”

But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

nillapoet

Others have given some great examples of those who have dealt with fear and anxiety, there are many more in the scriptures.I realize this wasn’t your question but here are a few comforting verses dealing with anxiety. There are many more, make sure to read in context though.

Philippians 4:6-7 NASB
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

1 Peter 5:6-7 NASB
Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time, casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you

1 John 4:18 NASB
There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear [a]involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love.

John 14:27
Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful.

Romans 8:31-39 NASB
What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who is against us? He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him over for us all, how will He not also with Him freely give us all things? Who will bring a charge against God’s elect? God is the one who justifies; who is the one who condemns? Christ Jesus is He who died, yes, rather who was raised, who is at the right hand of God, who also intercedes for us. Who will separate us from the love of Christ? Will tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? Just as it is written,

“For Your sake we are being put to death all day long;
We were considered as sheep to be slaughtered.”

But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

This is the next part of my study. I've already got most of those verses down. Thank you for bringing them up, some of them I didn't have.

LivnForChrist

Jesus Christ is Lord
Gideon

King Saul feared Goliah and the people

Elijah feared Jezebel

The Jewish leaders feared Rome would takke away the temple
and their automy.

Hadassah

Philippians 3:14
A believer who was afraid or worried...

Moses, when the Lord told him to go to Pharoah and bring the Israelites out of Egypt. Exodus 3:10-21, Exodus 4:1-13

Carl

Jonah when he realize that he was a goner in the belly of the big fish.

Jesus under great agitation in the garden.

Back