Stopping a Mars mission from messing with the mind

antitox

https://www.axios.com/astronaut-psychological-traveling-mars-nasa-1c43671c-a48b-4453-9723-4d9112778bbe.html

Space agencies and scientists are testing new ways to mitigate the psychological effects of a trip to Mars.
Why it matters: One of the major limiting factors for a mission to Mars will be the human mind, experts agree.
  • In order to fly to the red planet, live there and return home, astronauts will need to deal with long bouts of isolation and delayed contact with mission control and family back on Earth.
What's happening: IBM, Airbus and the German Aerospace Center just launched CIMON-2 — an upgraded robotic assistant that can read a person’s tone of voice — to the International Space Station.
  • CIMON-2's creators think the robot could act as a sounding board for astronauts who are feeling stressed but don't necessarily want to talk to their crewmates about it during a trip in deep space, developer Matthias Biniok told Axios.
Researchers are also studying how the brain and body might change during long trips in space, affecting a person's cognition.
  • A group of eight polar explorers experienced changes in their brains that may have been brought about by 14 months in isolation, according to a small study co-authored by psychologist David Dinges of the University of Pennsylvania and published last week in the New England Journal of Medicine.
  • Other scientists are looking into how radiation — considered by some to be the most serious health risk for astronauts going to Mars — might affect space explorers on a cognitive level.
The big picture: "From Mars, the Earth is seen as a dot, basically — a small dot; greenish, blue dot. So everything that is important to you, your history, your family, your culture, your country, becomes an insignificant point in the universe," University of California, San Francisco psychiatrist Nick Kanas told Axios in August.
  • Mission researchers emphasize the importance of a diverse crew to try to stave off psychological impacts. The thinking is they can work together well and keep each other interested and even entertained for months if not years at a time.
  • "We know that even in a high-fidelity simulation, when it goes long enough that if the agencies aren't very careful about who they select ahead of time ... I would expect that we're going to see maybe up to 50% or more of the crew develop some significant behavioral problems, psychological problems and physical problems during the mission," Dinges told Axios.

cchomeschoolmom

Wouldn't there have been similar problems on long ocean voyages in the past? Or has the advice of "mental health professionals" seriously reduced the mental and emotional resilience of many people? I can see the radiation being a new problem but I am sure the sea could have been very isolating and we could look at ships' logs and diaries from that period of time. Of course that would be too easy and logical.

kathymendel

Okay guys........... I know my mind goes places most other's just don't ........ but, once again something has entered my puny brain, and I just can't shake it. WHAT IF............. TPTB set up a "community of buildings" on Mars for future use? Then, when the rapture happens, they change direction with it, and SAY "the aliens have taken those pesky Christians to live in that community on Mars, to reprogram them? Doesn't this whole "let's go live on Mars thing" seem a bit radical to anyone else than me? I truly can't imagine it happening.............. if we CAN live off of mother earth, then why haven't we done anything about setting up living on the moon since the 1970's? What makes Mars now all of a sudden conducive to building places for people to live? It is no more human-friendly than the moon! Yet, it's being said it can be done in a matter of so many years (not that many).
None of this makes any sense to me. Can anyone enlighten me? Do you think it could all be a scheme to help back up the story of the aliens taking us away???? Or, am I truly nuts...............

Endangered

Another problem with Mars is the gravity. It is 38% of earth's gravity. So I weigh 180 lbs on Earth and only about 68 lbs on Mars. I will be weightless for 7 months getting to Mars. If I am on Mars for a year and then weightless for 7 more months getting home then my muscles have pretty much turned to mush.
What happens to my heart when I return to 180 lbs? How long will it take my legs and back and arms to return to a reasonable level of strength? And does this reduced gravity leave a permanent effect on my body? What would happen if I stayed on and lived out my life on Mars? Would my heart last longer with the lower load? Would my back aches go away? Would the bursitis in my hips hurt less?
Questions, questions and more questions.

Andy C

Another problem with Mars is the gravity. It is 38% of earth's gravity. So I weigh 180 lbs on Earth and only about 68 lbs on Mars. I will be weightless for 7 months getting to Mars. If I am on Mars for a year and then weightless for 7 more months getting home then my muscles have pretty much turned to mush.
What happens to my heart when I return to 180 lbs? How long will it take my legs and back and arms to return to a reasonable level of strength? And does this reduced gravity leave a permanent effect on my body? What would happen if I stayed on and lived out my life on Mars? Would my heart last longer with the lower load? Would my back aches go away? Would the bursitis in my hips hurt less?
Questions, questions and more questions.
I recently watched “man in space” a mini series on Netflix chronicling the journey of Scott Kelly who spent almost a year in space on the international space station. He only dropped a few pounds, and gained it back shortly upon return. He lived in zero gravity for 340 days. I cant imagine what it would be like to float for that amount of time. Everything you do in space is a challenge.

I read it would take between 6-8 months to take off from earth and land on mars in a manned spacecraft. Then, you would have to wait another year or so before you could travel back home. So a minimum of 2 years for a round trip. Only a very few would be capable of withstanding such a journey without going crazy.

Anewcreationinjesus

Okay guys........... I know my mind goes places most other's just don't ........ but, once again something has entered my puny brain, and I just can't shake it. WHAT IF............. TPTB set up a "community of buildings" on Mars for future use? Then, when the rapture happens, they change direction with it, and SAY "the aliens have taken those pesky Christians to live in that community on Mars, to reprogram them? Doesn't this whole "let's go live on Mars thing" seem a bit radical to anyone else than me? I truly can't imagine it happening.............. if we CAN live off of mother earth, then why haven't we done anything about setting up living on the moon since the 1970's? What makes Mars now all of a sudden conducive to building places for people to live? It is no more human-friendly than the moon! Yet, it's being said it can be done in a matter of so many years (not that many).
None of this makes any sense to me. Can anyone enlighten me? Do you think it could all be a scheme to help back up the story of the aliens taking us away???? Or, am I truly nuts...............
This is a really great point Kathy, no you ain't nuts, although there are plenty out there who think we RF ers are... So we can all be nuts together lol... (I've been called bonkers/mad by my own family members this year...)