Sports question!

InsuranceGuy

If you were an owner of a professional sports franchise, would you mortgage your future to win the Championship today? I've always wondered what other guys think of this. You see it in football and basketball all the time. A team will give up younger players, or draft picks, to get a player they need to help put them over the top right now. If it works, they win and take the title. Regardless, there is usually a price to pay later on. In the NFL, a team may struggle the next season, or next two seasons, whether the moves pans out or not. My question is this; If you were the owner of the team, would you go "all-in" if you thought you were close to winning a title, even if it may hamstring your team for the near future by doing so?

I've thought about this many times. If close, I think I would go all in. Tomorrow is never guaranteed (especially with injuries in sports) and winning a title is difficult. I think I would go for it if given the chance.

SonSeeker

I'm just grateful I'll never be in that position.:thumbup
I don't follow the NFL ever since the kneeler started his so-called 'protest', and no one had the backbone to stop him. Never did follow the NBA.
I do follow MLB. An owner was once asked how to make a small fortune as an owner.
His reply was, "that's easy, start out with a large fortune!"

Dave

I used to be a Dallas Cowboys fan and followed the NFL. I would build through the draft. I would draft most of my offense through it and obtain my Qb through it. I might grab a few defensive guys from free agency to build a stronger defense like a pass rusher and a safety. Maybe a wide receiver. Mainly I would build through the draft. I would spend money on a good Head Coach like Jimmy Johnson or the guy that coached the New England Patriots. I would probably go with Jason Garret and let him do his thing and stay out of his way.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
If you were an owner of a professional sports franchise, would you mortgage your future to win the Championship today? I've always wondered what other guys think of this. You see it in football and basketball all the time. A team will give up younger players, or draft picks, to get a player they need to help put them over the top right now. If it works, they win and take the title. Regardless, there is usually a price to pay later on. In the NFL, a team may struggle the next season, or next two seasons, whether the moves pans out or not. My question is this; If you were the owner of the team, would you go "all-in" if you thought you were close to winning a title, even if it may hamstring your team for the near future by doing so?

I've thought about this many times. If close, I think I would go all in. Tomorrow is never guaranteed (especially with injuries in sports) and winning a title is difficult. I think I would go for it if given the chance.

Nah for one season of glory only and to have the backlash of fans for not coming anywhere near the success wouldn't be worth it for me.

Invest in the juniors , the pathways to top and sound coaching and hopefully the structure bears fruit in the longterm.

I'm [praying that Aaron Rogers brings some magic back this up coming season