Spiritual Personality Quiz: Whom are you like?

Pat

WHAT mATTERS? Are you like Abraham, Job, or a little of both?​

Some of us are more like the father of our faith, Abraham. By God’s own calling we are drawn to Him, hear His voice, believe what He says, and miraculously find ourselves new creatures with new desires and a new life. Then the practical application of waiting on God to transform us through His work in us, (called the sanctification process) sets in, and a life of struggle between the flesh and the spirit begins. Like Abraham, I seem to only be able to learn the hard way. I know the truth through the Word. Get tired of waiting on Him. Try to help Him in my own efforts. Develop and execute my own plan. Then I fail, see God pick me up, and teach me His lesson. He gets the glory and I’m victorious in the end, but I wish I didn’t struggle so hard to get there. I tend to forget about the peace and rest He offers through faith. I know better.

Others of us are more like Job, another great man of faith but with a totally different experience. We admire Job and cite his notable patience to wait upon the Lord for a hopeful end. But before his calamities, he looked very much like today’s average American Christian father. He was a good man, feared God, kept himself from evil, worked hard, raised a large family, had wealth and a very comfortable life. If he lived here today, he might be a middle-class accountant with a suburban home, a financed pick-up, and an SUV. He’d go to the local church most Sundays and attend the monthly men’s breakfasts. He’d be living the “American dream.” But let’s view Job’s story as perhaps a comparative analogy of the pestilence that has assaulted us these last two years. Horrific infection covered his body. Death took his family. His closest confidant encouraged him to give up, curse God, and die. His world was unexpectedly turned upside down. Satan was allowed to take away all the comforts and wealth that Job had. Not having a deep knowledge of God through intellectual study (the Word of God had not yet been written down for examination and analysis,) Job still reverenced God and avoided sin. The “religious church” (his three friends,) then swept in and by their own intellectual evaluation became pompous theologians, self-proclaimed spokesmen for God who knew neither God nor His ways. They proclaimed Job was not a Godly man, otherwise God would not have allowed the physical tribulation he experienced to come upon him. They knew not the everlasting Word that said, In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.” John 16:33 Their explanations seemed logical, but Job’s spiritual relationship with God wouldn’t allow him to believe them. He held to his belief as to who God really was, saying, “Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him:” Job 3:15 and, “For I know that my redeemer lives, and that He shall stand at the latter day upon the earth,” Job 19:25 Both sayings being a clear reference to Jesus, the crucified and resurrected Lord God, and His second coming.

What matters now is, will we be fearful, allowing the trials and tribulations of life to rule over us, or will we rely on the truth that God has promised through His Word? Let’s be like Job, his eyes being focused on eternity. “Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Savior Jesus Christ;” Titus 2:13

Jojo4124

I think I tend to learn the hard way. What has delighted my soul has been Father God's patience with this child of His. I learned that ppl cant help me like HE can! And He really does take what the enemy meant for harm n turns it for good!

I always asked the Lord about the purpose of suffering from other's sins against me. He showed me that if I give to Him ALL that is broken, that He fixes it n draws me closer to Him.

If I hold onto the pain, desire revenge, etc then Abba cant fix it. I have to give the pain and hurt, anger, etc to Him...to give up my "right" to exact revenge, and submit my flesh desires to Him...trusting that He is El Roi, the God Who sees! He saw it all and vengeance is His. I wouldnt want to be on the receiving end of His vengeance. I pray that my enemies will repent so they can escape His wrath. Jesus saved me from God's wrath...so I can ask Him to do the same for those who have wounded me.

Took years n years to learn these lessons, but no matter what I can tell you that Daddy is Who He says He is...Faithful and True!!!

Pat

Hmm if i'm being honest with myself i'd probably lean towards early stage Abraham of doing things the hard way before learning my lesson
It is interesting that as I look back over 45 years, my salvation was instantaneous and all the joy of it flooded me full of faith and rest. Then the purging of my "self" and my flesh began and now I find myself kind of back where I started but more grateful and amazed at the grace and mercy God has bestowed on me despite my unfaithfulness and selfishness over the years. Salvation and sanctification are truly all of Him.

Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

1 Peter 1:5 Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.