Speaking of Unplanned

NCannie

I was going to post something about Unplanned and saw someone else had already done that. However, I did not want to hyjack their thread so I’m starting a new one. I have seen the movie twice now and enjoyed it even more the second time! My daughter (19) asked me to see it both times with her. I have a history of a crisis pregnancy which I followed through with and placed my daughter for adoption. I have worked at a ministry in crisis pregnancy for 10 years off and on. So here’s my question....about 6 months ago I mentioned that I enjoyed Bethel music on a thread here. I am very well aware of the fact that they are a cult and recently listened to a pod cast that convinced me of that even more so. During that discussion I made the comment , “ maybe you shouldn’t throw the baby out with the bath water. “ What I meant was some of the music appears to line up with biblical thinking. “ So I listen to it. Several posters ripped me to shreds, one in particular. Well, Bethel music is played throughout the movie. The scene of the pastor reading scripture in the movie is Kris Vallottan from Bethel. So do we not see the movie because they were involved?

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
NCannie, I saw Unplanned and most certainly will watch it again. My view of the movie is that it is well done. I'm not personally familiar with bethel music or with the bethel pastor in question. I'm fairly sure I wouldn't be comfortable with this pastor if I were familiar with him but that doesn't keep me from seeing that this movie is a good thing that is well done. I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water. I hope and pray that the truth projected through this movie will both bring people to Christ and save many babies who might have otherwise been murdered with their mother's approval.

Cindy S.

I was going to post something about Unplanned and saw someone else had already done that. However, I did not want to hyjack their thread so I’m starting a new one. I have seen the movie twice now and enjoyed it even more the second time! My daughter (19) asked me to see it both times with her. I have a history of a crisis pregnancy which I followed through with and placed my daughter for adoption. I have worked at a ministry in crisis pregnancy for 10 years off and on. So here’s my question....about 6 months ago I mentioned that I enjoyed Bethel music on a thread here. I am very well aware of the fact that they are a cult and recently listened to a pod cast that convinced me of that even more so. During that discussion I made the comment , “ maybe you shouldn’t throw the baby out with the bath water. “ What I meant was some of the music appears to line up with biblical thinking. “ So I listen to it. Several posters ripped me to shreds, one in particular. Well, Bethel music is played throughout the movie. The scene of the pastor reading scripture in the movie is Kris Vallottan from Bethel. So do we not see the movie because they were involved?
God can and will use anyone to read his scripture. It's not the messenger, it's the message!

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
‘Unplanned’ Sparks Thousands to Candlelight Vigils Outside Planned Parenthood Clinics

“This past weekend’s National Pro-Life Candlelight Vigil was an outstanding success,” said Eric Scheidler, Pro-Life Action League executive director, in an email statement to Breitbart News. “In all, 166 vigils were organized at Planned Parenthood facilities in 40 states in six time zones.”

Scheidler, whose group was one of three pro-life organizations directing the event, estimated total turnout to be over 10,000 participants in the vigils, including many first-time activists.

“Many said that they were motivated by seeing the movie Unplanned, which tells the story of Abby Johnson, a Planned Parenthood manager turned pro-life activist,” he added.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/04/17/unplanned-sparks-thousands-to-candlelight-vigils-outside-planned-parenthood-clinics/

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I was going to post something about Unplanned and saw someone else had already done that. However, I did not want to hyjack their thread so I’m starting a new one. I have seen the movie twice now and enjoyed it even more the second time!
I just returned from watching it a 2nd time and also enjoyed it even more the 2nd time around. This time I watched it with my oldest daughter. She thought highly of it too.

JSTyler

I have some Bethel music too. I won't purchase any more now that I know more about them. I can't find anything wrong in the few songs I have and will continue to enjoy them.

Does Bethel preach Jesus Christ? Do they get the tri-unity of God, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit right? Repentance and salvation? Do they hold that the Bible, the whole Bible and nothing but the Bible are the inerrant Word of God and our only authority for truth? I'm asking because I don't know and have little time and energy to research.

I've been spending a fair amount of time with Assembly of God folks. My impressions is that all of the different churches are pretty radically dissimilar one from another. The couple I've had the most exposure to are surprisingly close in doctrine and worldview to the same Pre-Trib, Pre- Mill, Dispensational, conservative stances my wife and I hold. I was blown away and was taken aback and had to reconsider my preconceived judgements and notions.

NCannie

I have some Bethel music too. I won't purchase any more now that I know more about them. I can't find anything wrong in the few songs I have and will continue to enjoy them.

Does Bethel preach Jesus Christ? Do they get the tri-unity of God, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit right? Repentance and salvation? Do they hold that the Bible, the whole Bible and nothing but the Bible are the inerrant Word of God and our only authority for truth? I'm asking because I don't know and have little time and energy to research.

I've been spending a fair amount of time with Assembly of God folks. My impressions is that all of the different churches are pretty radically dissimilar one from another. The couple I've had the most exposure to are surprisingly close in doctrine and worldview to the same Pre-Trib, Pre- Mill, Dispensational, conservative stances my wife and I hold. I was blown away and was taken aback and had to reconsider my preconceived judgements and notions.
I’m sure they have been mentioned here if you look them up on older threads. I am in the middle of listening to a podcast on Apologiastudios.com. They interview a girl who recently left Bethel school of Supernatural Ministry. Yes, even the title of the school speaks volumes. I have not listened to it all as of yet but when I left off they were talking about how when Jesus was crucified at one point he was just a man?? They also believe in grave sucking; I think they have been found to lay on CS Lewis’s grave. Some fairly weird stuff; sad part is I enjoy a lot of their music. So, the question remains, if the music is biblically sound do you still listen to it. If not; then would it be the same thing to not see the movie? All very confusing. I wish Chris or Matt would weigh in on this.

Last edited:

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
‘Unplanned’ Opens Strong in Theaters Across Canada, Despite Being Labelled ‘Hate Propaganda’

Pro-life film Unplanned made it to 56 movie theaters across Canada despite opposition from pro-abortion activists who refer to the film as a “piece of hate propaganda.”

The U.S. film brings to the screen the memoir of Abby Johnson, a former Planned Parenthood manager-turned pro-life activist.

Unplanned opened to $353,510 on its opening weekend at the Canadian box office, noted the Hollywood Reporter, despite controversy and even death threats to independent theater owners.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/07/17/unplanned-opens-strong-in-theaters-across-canada-despite-being-labelled-hate-propaganda/

Hsmommy

‘Unplanned’ Opens Strong in Theaters Across Canada, Despite Being Labelled ‘Hate Propaganda’

Pro-life film Unplanned made it to 56 movie theaters across Canada despite opposition from pro-abortion activists who refer to the film as a “piece of hate propaganda.”

The U.S. film brings to the screen the memoir of Abby Johnson, a former Planned Parenthood manager-turned pro-life activist.

Unplanned opened to $353,510 on its opening weekend at the Canadian box office, noted the Hollywood Reporter, despite controversy and even death threats to independent theater owners.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/07/17/unplanned-opens-strong-in-theaters-across-canada-despite-being-labelled-hate-propaganda/
I saw it in Edmonton. We attended the 5th showing. All 5 were sold out. For the 5th, management swapped theatres with Toy Story 4 because they needed more space for UP. Apparently there were a few protesters at the first showing but none when we went. Protesters weren’t out of line or anything, just there (‘cause Canadians are just that polite lol).

GoldenEagle

I’m sure they have been mentioned here if you look them up on older threads. I am in the middle of listening to a podcast on Apologiastudios.com. They interview a girl who recently left Bethel school of Supernatural Ministry. Yes, even the title of the school speaks volumes. I have not listened to it all as of yet but when I left off they were talking about how when Jesus was crucified at one point he was just a man?? They also believe in grave sucking; I think they have been found to lay on CS Lewis’s grave. Some fairly weird stuff; sad part is I enjoy a lot of their music. So, the question remains, if the music is biblically sound do you still listen to it. If not; then would it be the same thing to not see the movie? All very confusing. I wish Chris or Matt would weigh in on this.
My personal take on this is that we need both wisdom and discernment, and a close walk with God and His Word. I still listen to some Bethel and Hillsong music - their songs are sometimes on the radio station I listen to, and also some are used at my local church. But neither am I about to drop everything and go and join their ministries. We live in such a broken and fallen world, much of the church is in such a poor state/in error/in apostasy etc etc...I know many will disagree, but I think there is a balance needed on issues such as this. Yes, discernment is really important - I don’t think anyone who is a member of a forum such as this wouldn’t agree. But we need wisdom too - and I think sometimes there is a case for not throwing the baby out with the bath water - things aren’t always quite so black and white as that - and I think sometimes such black and white thinking can be actually harmful and lacking in compassion - which in my opinion isn’t Christlike.

TeeTee

Unplanned played for about 2 weeks, until it was suddenly taken down by theater. Is it on rental or on netflix or any other media?

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
All very confusing. I wish Chris or Matt would weigh in on this.
First of all, let me make it absolutely clear that I want nothing to do at all with the New Apostolic Reformation. I was inivted as a minister to join the NAR a few years ago. After examining their doctrine, I said no. And nothing I have seen since has caused me to change my mind. In fact, quite the opposite. That said, there is no way I would not see this film just because Bethel music is played throughout it or that Kris Valloton appears as a preacher in a church scene. That is immaterial to the story. And to allow that to keep us from seeing a worthwhile—in fact, badly needed—film would be, as @GoldenEagle puts it, throwing the baby our with the bathwater. I recall being warned against War Room because Priscilla Shearer had a part in it; I ignored the warning and am so glad I went to the film. It truly glorified our Savior and presented a won derful message for married couples or those thinking of getting married. In fact, I bought the video and have now watched the movie and its additional features many, many times. It is probably the most powerful film I have ever watched on the subject of marriage and often use it when dealing with couples in conflict.

So I would not allow the use of Bethel in the soundtrack or Kris Valloton in a scene to deter me from seeing Unplanned.

I hope and pray that the truth projected through this movie will both bring people to Christ and save many babies who might have otherwise been murdered with their mother's approval.
Me too, brother! :pray

NCannie

First of all, let me make it absolutely clear that I want nothing to do at all with the New Apostolic Reformation. I was inivted as a minister to join the NAR a few years ago. After examining their doctrine, I said no. And nothing I have seen since has caused me to change my mind. In fact, quite the opposite. That said, there is no way I would not see this film just because Bethel music is played throughout it or that Kris Valloton appears as a preacher in a church scene. That is immaterial to the story. And to allow that to keep us from seeing a worthwhile—in fact, badly needed—film would be, as @GoldenEagle puts it, throwing the baby our with the bathwater. I recall being warned against War Room because Priscilla Shearer had a part in it; I ignored the warning and am so glad I went to the film. It truly glorified our Savior and presented a won derful message for married couples or those thinking of getting married. In fact, I bought the video and have now watched the movie and its additional features many, many times. It is probably the most powerful film I have ever watched on the subject of marriage and often use it when dealing with couples in conflict.

So I would not allow the use of Bethel in the soundtrack or Kris Valloton in a scene to deter me from seeing Unplanned.

Me too, brother!

Thanks for your input Matt! I have seen first hand how this movie has changed a few minds amongst some of the people I know. At the end, was God glorified? Yes!