Speaking in tongues

Eva1974

Hi.

I have been in a cell-group for some years. There's this lady that claimes she has the tongues. When she's "speaking" you can hardly hear anything, and when she's done she goes on to interprete herself.

Does any of you know if this is right, and if so, where in the Bible does this say? I'm just confused:idunno:...

goingup

This subject is so taken out of context. Tongues were and is referring to a Language one was not able to speak.

Back in those days with all the diverse languages in Middle East region when God sent forth His Disciples many didn't know the Languages and often times the congregations would have mixed races so it was necessary to have one speak in the tongue of the language of the other race and have one interpret what was being said so all parties could understand the message......

Acts 2:3-4 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Acts 2:5-6 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven. Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

Acts 2:7-12 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans? And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born? Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia, Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes, Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God. And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this?

Tongues are not so much necessary anymore since The Bible is available in almost all languages now.
But tongues is not some meaningless words that have no meaning just being spouted off.
Tongues are for those who are unsaved so The Gospel is spoken to them in their native language.

This may not sit well with some but it is what The Bible says about it in the above I wrote.

Tongues = Language of a Foreigner Being Spoken by a person who does no understand that language but knows The Gospel of Jesus Christ.
An Interpreter is one who hears the Gospel in a Language that is not their own and Translates it to their own language for the Benefit of those who do not know the Language being spoken.

$teve

Hi.

I have been in a cell-group for some years. There's this lady that claimes she has the tongues. When she's "speaking" you can hardly hear anything, and when she's done she goes on to interprete herself.

Does any of you know if this is right, and if so, where in the Bible does this say? I'm just confused:idunno:...

Hi Eva

Read 1 Corinthians 14 noting, in particular, verses 27 - 28 with regard to your query.

Hol

Worships Him
I love that our Christ chose fishermen from Galilee who were part of the blessed manifestation of The Holy Spirit (His) coming to indwell forgiven sinners on the day of Pentecost :hyper: :eek:) Remember how teased they got for their accents?

These very ordinary men never amplified themselves once they received His Power.

It's always only about Him. We draw closer through the fellowship of suffering, not by gift accumulation/bragging rights. Gratitude + a yielded trusting faith in humility is strikingly beautiful to our Savior.

Jan51

This subject is so taken out of context. Tongues were and is referring to a Language one was not able to speak.

Back in those days with all the diverse languages in Middle East region when God sent forth His Disciples many didn't know the Languages and often times the congregations would have mixed races so it was necessary to have one speak in the tongue of the language of the other race and have one interpret what was being said so all parties could understand the message......

Acts 2:3-4 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Acts 2:5-6 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven. Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

Acts 2:7-12 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans? And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born? Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia, Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes, Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God. And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this?

Tongues are not so much necessary anymore since The Bible is available in almost all languages now.
But tongues is not some meaningless words that have no meaning just being spouted off.
Tongues are for those who are unsaved so The Gospel is spoken to them in their native language.

This may not sit well with some but it is what The Bible says about it in the above I wrote.

Tongues = Language of a Foreigner Being Spoken by a person who does no understand that language but knows The Gospel of Jesus Christ.
An Interpreter is one who hears the Gospel in a Language that is not their own and Translates it to their own language for the Benefit of those who do not know the Language being spoken.

Good biblical summary. I don't understand why today, contrary to Scriptural examples, tongues (or what is claimed to be) are spoken in churches where all speak English, yet their missionaries go to language school.

goingup

Hi Eva

Read 1 Corinthians 14 noting, in particular, verses 27 - 28 with regard to your query.

Thanks for that Scripture Steve I overlooked and forgot about those! My memory isn't as good as it used to be and I am glad when my Brothers and Sisters bring things like this to my remembrance. :thumbup

my wife nicknamed me "nile"

and then Jokes.... See Nile Run. :lol:

:hug :hat:

goingup

Good biblical summary. I don't understand why today, contrary to Scriptural examples, tongues (or what is claimed to be) are spoken in churches where all speak English, yet their missionaries go to language school.

That is kind of scary, not for me, but for those who are unsaved in your church.

Satan is doing all he can to corrupt Christ's Church in these last days.

That is why Jan51 IMVHO that we need to constantly pray for The Lord to Increase Our
Wisdom
Knowledge
Understanding
and Discerment
“Discernment is not a matter of simply telling the difference between what is right and wrong; rather, it is the difference between right and almost right” & “the difference between truth and error is not a chasm, but a razor’s edge.” (Spurgeon/Murray)
God Bless!

:hug :hat:

goingup

There are 2 things more I would like to add concerning this subject.

If a person were in some position as a missionary to present The Gospel and couldn't speak the native language of some unknown tribe or Dialect because they came upon an unknown tribe or language .....

God will still empower that person to speak in their tongue, or as one missionary said one time that he was talking in English but the people were understanding those words in their own language in their minds.

Another thing I do not discount is the fact our God is a God of Faith without Faith it is impossible to please Him, so..........

That it is possible that those who claim to pray in tongues are actually praying in Faith.......

Because The Holy Spirit may in fact give them a language to pray in and

the words to lift up to the Lord, and are unknown to them themselves but are understood by God and is a literal

Prayer of Faith with Petitions that are truly desired of God.

This second item is not something I think should be discussed because it will lead to divisions and arguments.

The way I see it if a person prays in an unknown tongue to themselves and lifts it up to The Lord, if they Are Not Being

Convicted by The Holy Spirit that it shouldn't be done and that it is not a sin. Then it must be acceptable to The Lord. :idunno:

Zeblade

Not here.. ok? But so many places I hurt so much for we divide our Father and what He did for the world with things like this. I watched a man.. a man that is gone a man that to this day gets made fun you name it. Says.. if you do not believe in speaking in tongues praise GOD. That was on TV. The man always said.. if I get it wrong tell me I will repent and get it right. I say that to show you.. you can not will not ever see those words repeated.

The power of unbelif is .. well a town did not get to see any mighty works from Jesus because of that only a few lay on of hands. To many go to God telling Him what He cant do because so and so said so. Do you know how many think I am strange if I tell you Jesus is real? I mean like your wife your best friend you kids. You have HE the sweet sweet Holy Spirit in you that leads and guides you into all truth. You have Jesus and the Father a promise for JESUS to abode with you. Its written GOD.. is in you to will and to do. My point in all this is .. just ask. To ask to seek from others is wise. But its so easy to search and look up things now.

1st who am I thats speaks. The Father the Great I AM sent Yeshua (Jesus) in the flesh. Born from the virgin Mary. Died on the cross for the worlds sins and was buried. Rose the 3rd day and sits at the right hand of the Father. Only by the sweet sweet Holy Spirit can that be said. I come not to lie not to decieve. What I say is 100% what happen. If you do not like to not believe praise God.

I at the age of around 17 went to this bible study by a man and wife both were grand parents. They always asked if I wanted the gift of the Holy Spirit. I keep saying no. One night I said yes. So they pulled this chair up and I sat down. They gathered round and he read what the word said about the Holy Spirit like.." if you being evil know how to give good gifts how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask." And more verses. Then asked me again. I said yes. He prayed.. prayed what was written.. just told the Father I asked and according to your word.. on and on. That was it. He said praise God you got it. I got up I went to sit down and BAM.. it just came out! Praise GOD Glory to Jesus.

Now again as my Father and my savior Jesus Christ as my wittness I lie not. No one ..no one was speaking in tongues and to this day I dont remember them ever. No one said like some say.. this is how you do it or what ever. They just asked like the word said. I just said yes to what was written. I could tell you story after story of the wonders that have happen in my life but some would not believe. Yet not one not one thing ever goes against the word of God.

The simply truth is.. Do you KNOW Jesus as lord? THATS WHAT MATTERS. He will not EVER force you to believe anything. You keep telling Him what is or what was and is no more you think He is going to show you? He cant. See I read I have the bible of when I was 15 I am 53 now. What I circled all those verses just seem to jump out at me. So I just believed. I said.. not hearing it there was no internet in the late and early 70's. IF HE said it .. I believe. Why does it work? The key is .. ALL has to be written. When you pray and ask for anything.. is it for self or others? To bring glory to Christ? Do you see? Yet this is just what follows. I dont preach this I dont ever talk about it. I am just a man I fall I miss It I sin more then most. All I want is HIM HIM HIM HIM.

If one asked me.. It is of God. I am not will not talk about others in any way about what they do. I can only tell you what I know. For me if you asked.. Seek the Father.. seek you will find.. ask He will answer knock it will open. See seek and ask .. ask Father show me where its written. Really mean it and He will show you.. HES AWESOME at it. Again please if you dont believe praise GOD. Do they know Jesus as lord came in the flesh is the only way to the Father then thats what matters yes? Man look at this world.. so many hurting lost we need to be ONE

The world sees and knows HE IS ALIVE AND REAL by our love for each other yes? If HE said it then thats truth. It is not just the ones you like you agree with. I dont mean the ones that have a woman that can forgive sins and what not.. that is not of God. I pray for them.. I never speak evil of them. Why? Who made them? Whos are they? They are His creations..we that believe in Jesus are His children. None the less the truth is.. we sin against Him and only Him do we do this evil in His sight. Knowing just one can be lost..we are the light of this world..

So .. tonges.. yeah I think its for now. Was for me.. my wife so on. Yet we are family. What ever He gives me I use to bring Him glroy.. amen. Sorry I went on about other things. I didnt come to preach. If I offended forgive me. I say that always because I dont write I am not a good speaker I dont spell good.. Please show the world how LOVED they are..they just cant see.. so light the way

goingup

Well Zeblade thank you for all that info, but I'm not sure I understand your point.

Let me add this though that if someone wants the Holy Spirit of God it won't happen like that. A person must Accept Jesus Christ and then the Holy Spirit

will then permanently reside in them.

When a person accepts Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior God's Holy Spirit takes up permanent residence in that person.

And as far it goes about much Holy Spirit one has, everyone has the same, however......

Those who walk a close personal walk trying to reach ( but will never obtain in this life, but can keep moving toward perfection ) perfection will find

The Holy Spirit revealing more of Himself to them and showing Himself stronger on their behalf because of their walk.

I as a Christian have fell far behind in that area, but when I am around those who have this close walk I can sense The Holy Spirit's Power

Whether the Holy Spirit shows Himself strong in me or My Brothers and Sisters it is a wonderful and joyous experience when He reveals Himself.

presenting Himself in their voices and being near them.

twit

goingup, I agree with your position but I don't believe the Holy Spirit reveals Himself to to those He indwells. His goal is to reveal the Lord Jesus, enabling us to know and understand all He is to us to the end that we would fully know Him. That our relationship would grow in love and understanding to enable us live in Jesus' perfect example and bring glory to His name to the glory of God the Father.

13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. 14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you. John 16.

goingup

goingup, I agree with your position but I don't believe the Holy Spirit reveals Himself to to those He indwells. His goal is to reveal the Lord Jesus, enabling us to know and understand all He is to us to the end that we would fully know Him. That our relationship would grow in love and understanding to enable us live in Jesus' perfect example and bring glory to His name to the glory of God the Father.

13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. 14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you. John 16.

You are right, but on the same note The Holy Spirit taking up residence in you is not on vacation or living in silence after you get saved.

The only way He will stay silent is if we grieve Him and continue in it, and with unconfessed sin. I guess a better way of stating it would be drawing closer to the Lord will be felt thru The Holy Spirit and His Power can be felt.

When I first got saved I knew nothing about The Holy Spirit or that anything should or would happen at all when I asked for forgiveness and that I believed everything in His Word.

The split second after that prayer ( I wished I had more Bible knowledge at that moment ) I knew that I knew that I knew God and that He had come inside me and with Power!!
His Presence was soooo intense that I had to ask Him to tone it down so I could get some sleep ( mistake on my part and wished I hadn't done it )

The Joy was indescribeable in it's intensity, and the things I experienced during that first week I would love to be at that point with The Lord again.

But The Lords presence thru The Holy Spirit was the most amazing and the most wonderful time of my entire Christian walk during that first week of

Salvation and would love to have it again and I think the only way that will come is thru The Rapture and that is why I am sooooooo, soooooo

looking forward to The Rapture to where I can have what I had in the beginning of my walk only with Perfection and PERMANENTLY!

No matter what I can never truly describe that experience as it happened to me, but I wish everyone could!!!!!

Back