Southwest cancels thousands more US flights on weather woes

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Southwest cancels thousands more US flights on weather woes
President Biden called for airlines to be held accountable for cancellations, while the Transportation Department called them 'unacceptable'.
By REUTERS
Published: DECEMBER 27, 2022

Southwest Airlines Co. on Tuesday led US airline cancellations again as the low-cost carrier struggled with harsh winter weather that grounded planes and left some workers unable to tend to jets, disrupting holiday travel for many.

The carrier had canceled 2,541 flights as of Tuesday 10 am ET or roughly two-thirds of its schedule, according to tracking website FlightAware, sending Southwest's shares down as much as 6.3% to a two-month low of $33.81.

An arctic blast and a massive winter storm dubbed Elliott swept over much of the United States in the lead-up to the Christmas holiday weekend, forcing Southwest to scrap more than 12,000 flights since Friday.

more............. https://www.jpost.com/international/article-725952

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
Apparently Southwest hasn't had partnerships with other airlines (like the other ones do) to utilize other airline openings for passengers who are stranded. So, this is part of why Southwest is particularly hit with delays.

It sounds like they are in process of partnership, however: https://viewfromthewing.com/southwest-prepares-to-partner-with-other-airlines/

Having a bad winter storm along with unfortunately affected S.W.'s services.

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/...vel-issues-hopes-back-track-before-next-week/

Southwest CEO Bob Jordan apologized for the company’s travel issues in a video statement Tuesday evening, saying that the airline is determined to upgrade its systems “for these extreme circumstances so that we never again face what’s happening right now.”

“I want everyone who is dealing with the problems we’ve been facing — whether you haven’t been able to get to where you need to go or you’re one of our heroic employees caught up in a massive effort to stabilize the airline — to know is that we’re doing everything we can to return to a normal operation and please also hear that I’m truly sorry,” Jordan began, explaining why the “giant puzzle is taking us several days to solve.”

Jordan explained that Southwest is the largest carrier in the country, building a flight schedule around what he described as “communities” rather than “hubs.”

“So we’re the largest airline in 23 of the top 25 travel markets in the US cities where large numbers of scheduled flights simultaneously froze as record, bitter cold brought challenges for all airlines,” he said, characterizing the Southwest network as “highly complex.”

“And the operation of the airline counts on all the pieces, especially aircraft and crews remaining in motion to where they plan to go with a large fleet of airplanes and flight crews out of position in dozens of locations and after days of trying to operate as much of our full schedule across the busy holiday weekend, we reached the decision point to significantly reduce our flying to catch up,” he said, describing the return to normalcy as a “rolling struggle.”

Jordan admitted that the company must “double down on our already existing plans to upgrade systems for these extreme circumstances so that we never again face what’s happening right now” and offered further apologies, assuring customers that teams are issuing refunds and reroutes.

The CEO maintained that the airline will work on a reduced flight schedule moving forward and expressed hope that the airline will be “back on track” before next week.

“Our plan for the next few days is to fly a reduced schedule and reposition our people and planes and we’re making headway, and we’re optimistic to be back on track before next week. We have some real work to do in making this right for now,” he added......

Mochamel

They are the airline I usually fly, since they are at an airport very close to me. I’ve never really had a problem with them although I’ve never been at an airport with such a bad weather system. They are the Grayhound bus of airlines. Very few direct flights. I’m glad I stayed home this Christmas.
But is it the weather if other airlines aren’t doing this. ‍♀️

HisGloryIsPrecious

But is it the weather if other airlines aren’t doing this. ‍♀️
No, as was reported, other airlines had partnerships with each other and more up to date equipment. There is a shortage of pilots due to COViD mandates and the airline is looking for more equity among pilots. That part is even scarier but that is for another thread. The weather issue didn’t help.

bigmoose

A child of the King
Heard on the radio that SouthWest will fully refund tickets that were cancelled, AND also reimburse you for your travel costs to get you where you were going when stranded. My daughter is now driving from the east coast back to CO because of this... praying for her travel safety. She said traffic is quite robust, and has hit some bad weather still on the two day journey.

Jan51

Heard on the radio that SouthWest will fully refund tickets that were cancelled, AND also reimburse you for your travel costs to get you where you were going when stranded. My daughter is now driving from the east coast back to CO because of this... praying for her travel safety. She said traffic is quite robust, and has hit some bad weather still on the two day journey.
I hope so, my costs will be turned in. I am still stranded on the east coast, have been for a week, but hopefully United will get me back to Denver tomorrow night and then Reno the next day so I can Amtrak home. SW gave me two $200 travel vouchers for my two cancellations, but I will not be using them! Nobody better bring up a family Christmas get-together for next year, I will be staying home. Actually, hoping to be in my heavenly home before then...

Amethyst

Angie ... †
I hope so, my costs will be turned in. I am still stranded on the east coast, have been for a week, but hopefully United will get me back to Denver tomorrow night and then Reno the next day so I can Amtrak home. SW gave me two $200 travel vouchers for my two cancellations, but I will not be using them! Nobody better bring up a family Christmas get-together for next year, I will be staying home. Actually, hoping to be in my heavenly home before then...
Did you get home, Jan? :pray

Back