Southern Baptists see 9th year of membership decline

SevenofNine1

I saw this story on last night 700 club I was wonder what going on with Southern Baptists I thought they getting membership

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — The Southern Baptist Convention lost more than 200,000 members in 2015— the ninth straight year of decline for the nation’s largest Protestant denomination.

Membership stands at 15.3 million, down from 15.5 million in 2014, according to denomination statistics released on Tuesday. Baptisms also fell by more than 10,000 to just a little more than 295,000.

Baptisms are an important measure for the Nashville-based denomination because of its strong commitment to evangelism.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...c92d20-2cd0-11e6-b9d5-3c3063f8332c_story.html

WaitingForTheTrumpet

The problem started with the Conservative Resurgence, which turned out to be more of a calvinist resurgence. They tossed out non-calvinists from the seminaries and filled them with neo-calvinists and indoctrinated young, eager YRR (young, restless and reformed) kids who were then sent to infiltrate SBC churches, as well as other denominations, and hid the fact that they were calvinists, until they were hired to pastor and made drastic changes to the churches, taking over all the assets, kicking out all who disagreed, and laid heavy burdens and legalism on the congregations

Last edited:

WaitingForTheTrumpet

I am heartbroken for what they did to my denomination. Nowadays, some churches have hierarchies, and did away with deacons and installed young "elders" who are merely friends/yes men of the pastor. The new pastors are only about 30 years old and the "elders" are in their 20s-30s. One woman professor who had a doctorate and was teaching in one of the SBC seminaries, was booted out because she was only a female. She had a gravely ill husband and no other source of income. She was replaced with a calvinist. It was a huge calvinist takeover of the denomination and almost all the seminaries. Their goal is to plant 1000 calvinist churches each year...whether these are new churches starting out, or by takeovers of already established SBC churches. This is all thanks to men such as Al Mohler, Paige Patterson, John Piper, CJ Mahaney and Mark Dever.

Last edited:

Andy C

The problem started with the Conservative Resurgance, which turned out to be more of a calvinist resurgance. They tossed out non-calvinists from the seminaries and filled them with neo-calvinists and indoctrinated young, eager YRR (young, restless and reformed) kids who were then sent to infiltrate SBC churches, as well as other denominations, and hid the fact that they were calvinists, until they were hired to pastor and made drastic changes to the churches, taking over all the assets, kicking out all who disagreed, and laid heavy burdens and legalism on the congregations
I agree. Calvinism is in many of their churches.

SevenofNine1

There some other reason I know in LA they losing membership because Latino American churches moving in and immgrrnts who only speak Spanish took over the church some people left I know very racist

athenasius

The problem started with the Conservative Resurgance, which turned out to be more of a calvinist resurgance. They tossed out non-calvinists from the seminaries and filled them with neo-calvinists and indoctrinated young, eager YRR (young, restless and reformed) kids who were then sent to infiltrate SBC churches, as well as other denominations, and hid the fact that they were calvinists, until they were hired to pastor and made drastic changes to the churches, taking over all the assets, kicking out all who disagreed, and laid heavy burdens and legalism on the congregations

Yup, see it happening here in the NAB and other formerly good churches.

If they aren't going Calvinist, they are heading pell mell into the Emergent movement or worse. Unless and until they stop with the emergent, liberal or calvinist flavours of the moment, they will continue to bleed members just like the neo orthodoxy (liberals) killed off the mainline churches 100 years back. Karl Barth rides again! Only this time instead of Barths attack on fundamentalist evangelical dispensational beliefs, it's anything goes with the emergents or the harsh "love" of calvinists.

billym

Mary, do you have any links to support your statements?
I do know the 1689 Baptist Confession of Faith which is what they still believe in my Baptist Church
http://www.creeds.net/baptists/1689/kerkham/1689.htm

I was not aware of any secret infiltration into SBC churches

WaitingForTheTrumpet

Mary, do you have any links to support your statements?
I do know the 1689 Baptist Confession of Faith which is what they still believe in my Baptist Church
http://www.creeds.net/baptists/1689/kerkham/1689.htm

I was not aware of any secret infiltration into SBC churches

Mohler and others revised the BFM in 2000, and also changed the Baptist Hymnals, deleting any songs that mentioned that Jesus died for all, and whosoever will may come. I'll go dig up some links for you.

WaitingForTheTrumpet

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2006/september/42.32.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Calvinism

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/04/us/a-calvinist-revival-for-evangelicals.html?_r=0

Some non-Calvinists say that the rise of Calvinism has been accomplished in part through sneaky methods. Roger E. Olson, a Baylor University professor and the author of “Against Calvinism,” is the Calvinists’ most outspoken critic.

“One of the concerns is that new graduates from certain Baptist seminaries have been infiltrating churches that are not Calvinist, and not telling the churches or search committees who are not Calvinist,” Professor Olson said. According to what he has heard, young preachers “wait several months and then begin to stock the church library with books” by Calvinists like John Piper and Mark Driscoll. They hold special classes on Calvinist topics, he said, and they staff the church with fellow Calvinists.

“Often the church ends up splitting, with the non-Calvinists starting their own church,” Professor Olson said.

http://beforeitsnews.com/religion/2...ster-inevitable-by-peter-lumpkins-539216.html