South Florida flooding to bring ‘boom’ of mosquitoes in coming days

Amethyst

Angie ... †

South Florida flooding to bring ‘boom’ of mosquitoes in coming days​

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — In the wake of the deluge that swept through Broward, submerging streets and flooding homes, another storm is now brewing: mosquitoes.

Florida’s mosquito season typically doesn’t begin until after late spring rains turn into standing water that the insects need in order to breed. But unprecedented flooding throughout Fort Lauderdale and other areas in the county has created ripe conditions for large numbers of mosquitoes. On Saturday, entire neighborhoods’ streets remained submerged.

“Mosquito populations are just absolutely set to boom right now,” said Eric Vincent, the owner of Mosquito Shield of Boca Raton and Fort Lauderdale. “There’s the perfect amount of heat, the perfect amount of humidity. All the standing water is taking over most of the county.”

Mosquito eggs can lie dormant for up to a year. In most cases, they need water in order to hatch, which wasn’t as readily available in South Florida this year because of the dry winter.
MORE:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/south-florida-flooding-bring-boom-225900099.html

GotGrace

South Florida flooding to bring ‘boom’ of mosquitoes in coming days​

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — In the wake of the deluge that swept through Broward, submerging streets and flooding homes, another storm is now brewing: mosquitoes.

Florida’s mosquito season typically doesn’t begin until after late spring rains turn into standing water that the insects need in order to breed. But unprecedented flooding throughout Fort Lauderdale and other areas in the county has created ripe conditions for large numbers of mosquitoes. On Saturday, entire neighborhoods’ streets remained submerged.

“Mosquito populations are just absolutely set to boom right now,” said Eric Vincent, the owner of Mosquito Shield of Boca Raton and Fort Lauderdale. “There’s the perfect amount of heat, the perfect amount of humidity. All the standing water is taking over most of the county.”

Mosquito eggs can lie dormant for up to a year. In most cases, they need water in order to hatch, which wasn’t as readily available in South Florida this year because of the dry winter.
MORE:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/south-florida-flooding-bring-boom-225900099.html
Dont Mow the yard in your birthday suit or you might need a blood transfusion when you are finished.

Círeth

Purry, roary, one.
What eats mosquitos? If you're Florida based find an animal or bird that does that and keep it in your yard. The creatures you choose will be grateful for the mossie banquet. :tea

Edit: Dragonflies are the mosquito's most feared natural predator. Score! Dragonflies are gorgeous. Get yourself some gorgeous colourful bugs to hunt those mossies.

Mama Bug

Where can I get some dragonflies? They are beautiful creatures. I'm looking for revenge on the mosquitoes. I was outside, in my garden, minding my own business, and got attacked by mosquitoes. My blood must be a favorite of theirs.

Círeth

Purry, roary, one.
Where can I get some dragonflies? They are beautiful creatures. I'm looking for revenge on the mosquitoes. I was outside, in my garden, minding my own business, and got attacked by mosquitoes. My blood must be a favorite of theirs.
I'm in the UK. I'm afraid I've no idea where to find dragonflies in the US.

I'd start by asking a pet store. I'm not sure if they'd sell live dragonflies but they might have them for lizard or snake food so they might know where you could get live uns.

Back