Some winter views of Scotland

TheRedeemed

Fantastic pictures, I have a question about the picture with what looks like 2 enormous horse heads, what are those, are they structures ?

They're called Kelpies (A Scottish Horse) and you can visit them and climb right to the top and enjoy spectacular views from the inside them.

They're massive and visible from the roads for miles around, they light them up at night time, they're on the road route between Glasgow and Edinburgh visible from the M9 motorway (freeway).

moosejive

I love the pictures from your beautiful country. :thankyou:heythere Traveling to another land and culture is so exciting. There is such beauty in simple things. I’ll never be able to travel enough in this life, so I vicariously enjoy other countries through pictures and reading. There are great videos on YouTube by Sergio and Rhoda showing different places and life in Israel. I like Rick Steves TV programs on travel too.

I guess being in Heaven we will be able to experience different cultures and the beauty of Heaven.....it’s just so hard to wait!! ;):candle

TheRedeemed

Wow it seems these went down well.

Thanks to all of you for your lovely comments about these pictures and about Scotland.

Its a strange thing, we all take for granted and never pay attention to the place where we live, forgetting how beautiful most places in the world really are.

In Scotland's case, being a sparsely populated place the countryside is largely undisturbed and free from human disturbance for 1,000's of years.

These pictures only show a little glimpse of what the whole country is like if you can get out and explore some of it. Most Scots don't!!

I bet there are people from America, Australia, the far east and the rest of Europe know more about the Scottish wilderness than most of the population here do.

moosejive

I’ve not had the pleasure of visiting Scotland, but I’ll surely make the effort when we visit Ireland to meet my son in law’s mum. It is much less expensive to travel once over there. The history and age of cities make the U.S.’s seem like mere teenagers in age.

Still lots of great places and sights to see, mostly rural in Iowa...

TheRedeemed

At this time of year all I can think is, "They don't seem to get much snow in Scotland".

We live in a strange place on the globe. Our weather is prevalent from the south west Atlantic (the gulf stream) which is why Glasgow and Edinburgh for example, who are both 150 miles further north than Moscow still get positive temperatures in winter, compared to the -18 to -30 we would get like Moscow.

That having been said, we get more white Easter's than Christmases in the UK, particularly in Scotland!

Winter hasn't finished with us just yet, there's snow in the forecast for next week, and we'll probably see some more on and off up until the end of March.

We have not had an arctic blast this winter due to said gulf stream, some years this drops off completely and allows weather fronts to sink from the north pole right down and across the whole UK. Brrr :eek: