Solar Television in Kenya

Círeth

Purry, roary, one.
TV from the sun: 'Now I am connected to the whole world'

Stanley Gikonyo says his life has been transformed by satellite TV. "I am connected to the whole world," he says.

But what's extraordinary is that his house, where he lives with his wife and two children in Mwea, central Kenya, has no access to mains electricity.

Instead, the power for Mr Gikonyo's new TV service comes directly from the sun. He is one of the early adopters of AzuriTV - a new solar-powered satellite TV service that gives his family access to 50 channels.

He says the system is already making his life easier, and has opened new doors for his farming business.

"I had been using other solar panels and normal batteries, which gave me a hell of a time in charging them, and with acid spills," he says.

"The AzuriTV has for sure done me good - I can now watch my favourite stations. In particular, I watch Shamba Shape Up, which gives a lot of insights into the best farming practices.

"I am connected to the whole world."

Mr Gikonyo runs a small farm, or shamba, producing mostly vegetables and poultry, and he was one of the estimated 69% of Kenya's adult population that does not have daily access to television.

Off-grid, power on
UK-based solar company Azuri Technologies and Kenyan satellite TV provider Zuku launched the service in Kenya in December.

A solar panel is fixed to the roof of a customer's home, and connects to a battery which powers a range of appliances, including lamps, a mobile phone charger, and a 24-inch (61cm) TV which accesses Zuku's Smart satellite TV service.

Users pay an upfront fee of 4,999 Kenyan shillings (£39) for the system, and thereafter pay 149 shillings(£1.15) per day. By the end of two years on this payment schedule, customers own the kit outright.

While solar power products have been available in Kenya for several years, and some free-to-air terrestrial TV stations have been accessible in rural areas, this is the first time off-grid households have had access to a full range of satellite pay-TV channels.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38680093

The world is becoming more and more connected. It won't be long before everyone will be able to tune in to watch the two prophets at the wall in Jerusalem.

Exciting stuff.

athenasius

Neat, that tech could be used all over the world. I know I know, it's gonna be used to bring the worst as well as the best into places that were formerly Kardashian free zones, but I'm just thinking of that passage where the whole world looks on with the 2 Witnesses of Revelation, and this tech might be part of it. Amazing.

Círeth

Purry, roary, one.
Neat, that tech could be used all over the world. I know I know, it's gonna be used to bring the worst as well as the best into places that were formerly Kardashian free zones, but I'm just thinking of that passage where the whole world looks on with the 2 Witnesses of Revelation, and this tech might be part of it. Amazing.
We have had a TV nearly all my life. We are still and will remain a Kardashian Free Zone!

athenasius

LOL Cireth, somehow you never came across as a Kardashian wannabe who feeds on a steady diet of Kardashian news dear one, never! HEHEHEHEH! Godly young woman yes, Kardashian, nope!!!!

Last edited: