Sodomites & Gospel

Amethyst

Angie ... †
My pastor said it's not a doctrinal but a preference issue. I was confused.
Neither is the rapture but if your church teaches the pre-millenialism and a Bible study leader comes in teaching a-millenialism, then what, it bears rotten fruit doesnt it? :idunno

But if you discuss it again and there is the same brick wall then I guess you'll have to wait and see what comes of it. What does your friend think about former practicing gays who say they came to Christ? Are they false converts?

cheeky200386

Neither is the rapture but if your church teaches the pre-millenialism and a Bible study leader comes in teaching a-millenialism, then what, it bears rotten fruit doesnt it? :idunno

But if you discuss it again and there is the same brick wall then I guess you'll have to wait and see what comes of it. What does your friend think about former practicing gays who say they came to Christ? Are they false converts?
Yes, they say they are false converts. It's quite upsetting. I've just prayed for God to help me understand and help this situation.

Andy C

Yes, they say they are false converts. It's quite upsetting. I've just prayed for God to help me understand and help this situation.
I would have a hard time still attending that church, especially after reading your pastors response.

We go to church on the days my wife can physically attend. On the days she cant attend, I have the best sermon, just me and my bible, and my bible never gives me false answers.

lightofmylife

Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!
I would have a hard time still attending that church, especially after reading your pastors response.

We go to church on the days my wife can physically attend. On the days she cant attend, I have the best sermon, just me and my bible, and my bible never gives me false answers.
I have a real problem with a pastor or anyone that is not telling it like the :bibledoes.

Belle of Grace

Longing for Home
Cheeky, if your friends 'actually think' that redeemed former homosexuals are false converts, then I'd have to wonder what happened in their lives in the past that gives them such a diehard lock on this. Something isn't right somewhere. I'm wondering if the pastor already knew of their position on this when they met with him at the time they were seeking church membership. He was pretty quick with his conciliatory response to their position when talking with you. I would have thought he'd at least have shown a little bit of surprise. Something tells me he already knew their thinking on this. A biblically solid pastor wouldn't take it lightly that someone says a particular group who practices a certain kind of sin is unredeemable. This whole situation seems off somehow.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
My pastor said it's not a doctrinal but a preference issue. I was confused.

Maybe this pastor isn't too keen on confrontation when it's necessary? He'd rather let his teachers teach falsehoods that will only confuse his congregation and maybe cause some to leave for greener pastures? Just as God sometimes corrects those whom He loves, a pastor may need to do similarly with members of his flock who are in teaching positions... either the pastors or elders...

I'm not a member of the church we're currently attending. It's a SBC church and unfortunately the teachings leave a lot to be desired. I often leave scratching my head, wondering how such a great opportunity was missed. They have Bible class before service and you have your choice of classes. The teacher I've been listening to is well worth my time, except time before last I learned he leans toward Calvanism. So long as he doesn't got "there", I'll keep going to the church just for his teaching session. I'm mature enough that I can ignore the stuff I believe to be in error and appreciate things that give me understanding that I didn't previously have. I don't know if the church pastor ( a youngster who took over when his dad retired) knows what the guy I'm listening to is teaching calvanism when the applicable verses calvanists lean on come up. I'm just a guest at this church so I talk to the teacher but that's as far as I've gone.

Last edited:

GotGrace

I’m confused after reading all the posts.
So are you saying homesexuals lose their salvation? Or are you saying those who practice it lose their salvation?

cheeky200386

Maybe this pastor isn't too keen on confrontation when it's necessary? He'd rather let his teachers teach falsehoods that will only confuse his congregation and maybe cause some to leave for greener pastures? Just as God sometimes corrects those whom He loves, a pastor may need to do similarly with members of his flock who are in teaching positions... either the pastors or elders...

I'm not a member of the church we're currently attending. It's a SBC church and unfortunately the teachings leave a lot to be desired. I often leave scratching my head, wondering how such a great opportunity was missed. They have Bible class before service and you have your choice of classes. The teacher I've been listening to is well worth my time, except time before last I learned he leans toward Calvanism. So long as he doesn't got "there", I'll keep going to the church just for his teaching session. I'm mature enough that I can ignore the stuff I believe to be in error and appreciate things that give me understanding that I didn't previously have. I don't know if the church pastor ( a youngster who took over when his dad retired) knows what the guy I'm listening to is teaching calvanism when the applicable verses calvanists lean on come up. I'm just a guest at this church so I talk to the teacher but that's as far as I've gone.
Idk about that because he went up against the Governor when every other church closed during COVID. He was facing criminal charges, was getting attacked by other pastors, getting death threats and still stayed open. In the 2 years that I've known him, he seems pretty solid about standing for God's word. This is why I'm stunned by his response to this today. It just doesn't seem like him at all.

cheeky200386

Cheeky, if your friends 'actually think' that redeemed former homosexuals are false converts, then I'd have to wonder what happened in their lives in the past that gives them such a diehard lock on this. Something isn't right somewhere. I'm wondering if the pastor already knew of their position on this when they met with him at the time they were seeking church membership. He was pretty quick with his conciliatory response to their position when talking with you. I would have thought he'd at least have shown a little bit of surprise. Something tells me he already knew their thinking on this. A biblically solid pastor wouldn't take it lightly that someone says a particular group who practices a certain kind of sin is unredeemable. This whole situation seems off somehow.
I agree. He even asked me if it was Tyran and I was surprised. He said he could see him holding that view by how Tyran is. My pastor said Tyran is very logical and could see it. That was it. I was too stunned to counter more assertively. Now after the fact, I'm just not sure how to move on. I'm prepared to agree to disagree with the couple and leave that alone, but I don't think I would want to bring doctrinal issues up again with the reaction I received.

I was really expecting the pastor to be surprised and want to speak to Tyran privately.

lightofmylife

Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!
Yet I've never seen him to compromise on anything before. He preaches straight from the Word. He speaks out against all the cultural topics like BLM, LGBT, Social Justice, teaches on prophecy. He's solid. This conversation today just left me shocked.
It seems like he is taking up for this person. If a person is in error by not agreeing with the :bible, I believe something should be said to that person. Issues can be spoken in truth and love.

cheeky200386

It seems like he is taking up for this person. If a person is in error by not agreeing with the :bible, I believe something should be said to that person. Issues can be spoken in truth and love.
That's what bothers me. He was praising Tyran's intellect and vast knowledge. I just thought to myself, who cares. It was disappointing since I love my pastor and my church. I've just had a knot in my stomach all day since this morning.

Oh well... Not much I can do now except tell the couple that our pastor disagrees with their view as well and they can talk to him if they are concerned with my view too. I'll put it on them to speak to him and just accept where I stand. I'll continue to pray about this whole thing.

Belle of Grace

Longing for Home
Not much I can do now except tell the couple that our pastor disagrees with their view as well and they can talk to him if they are concerned with my view too.
Cheeky, instead of telling this couple what the pastor's view on the issue is, it might be better to let the pastor speak for himself. That way there won't be a further misunderstanding when you're quoting someone to someone else who wasn't even present at the time. This can be kind of risky. The pastor & couple should work this out on their own.
God bless you, Cheeky. What a weekend you've had!

cheeky200386

Cheeky, instead of telling this couple what the pastor's view on the issue is, it might be better to let the pastor speak for himself. That way there won't be a further misunderstanding when you're quoting someone to someone else who wasn't even present at the time. This can be kind of risky. The pastor & couple should work this out on their own.
I agree expect I told them I would speak to him and ask for clarification. They'll probably ask me and I'll tell them he said the exact same thing I had been saying. I'll just leave it there and tell them to speak to him for further detail.

cheeky200386

Yeah I wasn't expecting that at all! I just pray that it is not turning my husband off of God seeing Christians disagree on the Bible. That's another big concern for him. He does see that we can still be friends even after heated discussions at least.

DWB

On the OSAS question, I'd like to pose a hypothetical situation and see what others think. We should never judge others, but we should be aware of the consequences of our actions.

A person is involved in a homosexual relationship, begins attending church with a family member and hears the gospel, over time believes the gospel, repents, and changes his lifestyle. We all know this is how things should work. But a couple of years later this person slips back into sinful ways, actively engaging in homosexual acts with multiple partners, but attends church and and in every other way behaves in a Christian-like manner. Will he be Raptured? I think not.

Back