Social Security Benefits To Increase 8.7% In 2023

Andy C

It costs a little more than tricare prime did, and you both get to make that monthly payment.
Yes, thats the drawback. All who joined the military decades ago were promised free medical for life. Now, its not free because we have to pay the part b, but everything else is at no cost to either of us. Its not what was promised, but far lower in costs compared to what most have to pay for supplemental insurance.

Andy C

The letter I got said TFL was free, so long as I have Medicare Parts A and B

I dropped TRICARE Standard when they started requiring premiums, and I missed having an alternative to the VA (without paying a pile out of pocket). Never had Prime because after military retirement I had the VA plus employer insurance until I retired (again)
TFL is free, but medicare part B is not which is required to have in order to keep TFL.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Yes, thats the drawback. All who joined the military decades ago were promised free medical for life. Now, its not free because we have to pay the part b, but everything else is at no cost to either of us. Its not what was promised, but far lower in costs compared to what most have to pay for supplemental insurance.

If your income is high enough, you can pay a pretty massive amount for part B alone, and if both oneself and a spouse has to pay it, the numbers probably rival just about any expensive plan, but with benefits that are so poor that you need a supplemental policy.

Back