Social gospel article...

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
Good article!!

...The history of the social gospel is, in nearly every case, a sincere attempt by Christians to do those things that they believe will honor God and benefit humanity. In every case, however, the practical working out of “benefiting humanity” has compromised biblical faith and dishonored God. Why is that? God’s Word gives no commission to the church to fix the problems of the world. Those who attempt to do so are starting out under a false premise, “...a way which seemeth right unto a man,” not God’s way. So where can it go from there? “The end thereof are the ways of death,” i.e., destruction (Proverbs:14:12). Furthermore, the problems of the world are all symptoms. The root cause itself is sin.

What percentage of the “people of faith,” who comprise all religions and make up five-sixths of the world’s population, understand and accept the gospel—the only cure for sin? Or how many of the 2.3 billion “Christians” in the world believe the biblical gospel? The numbers tumble down exponentially. “Yes, but...they are a massive volunteer force and distribution outlet of resources for slaying the giants of world suffering!” What does it profit the billions of “people of faith” who may alleviate some of the world’s symptoms yet lose their very souls?

The social gospel is a deadly disease for “people of faith.” It reinforces the belief that salvation can be attained by doing good works, putting aside differences for the common good, treating others the way we want to be treated, acting morally, ethically, and sacrificially—and that doing so will endear humans to God. No! These are self-deceptive strivings that spurn God’s salvation, deny His perfect standard, and reject His perfect justice. Salvation is “not of works, lest any man should boast.” In fact, it is “by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God” (Ephesians:2:8-9). Jesus declared Himself to be condemned humanity’s only hope for reconciliation with God: “I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me” (John:14:6). There is no other way, because God’s perfect justice demanded that the penalty for sin for every human (“for all have sinned” [Romans:3:23]) be paid. Only the perfect, sinless God-Man could and did pay that infinite penalty in full by His death upon the Cross. Only faith in Him reconciles a person with God......

Anewcreationinjesus

To me, something like the prosperity gospel is more easily spotted. The social gospel looks so noble yet tries to add to the Gospel of Christ and him crucified....

I genuinely reckon the social gospel is part of the visible church being drawn into one world religion and its "kindness" and "good deeds", which is, of course, not the Gospel!!

I read it somewhere and it's so true... The idea of going to paint someone's fence doesn't save a person from going to hell!!

This is exactly what I'm talking about... I've read the idea in the Church of England about "good neighbours" which is code word for ecumenicalism and multi faith projects. "Kindness" never saved anybody....in fact the truth is Romans 3:23

https://www.thecumbrialep.co.uk/news/kind-cumbria-day/

Please note the "near neighbours" multifaith lie that the C of E promotes...There is no such thing as "near neighbours".... The Gospel is the truth and all else is from the father of lies....Notice the excitement on their blog that "Inter faith week is coming up"....

Social gospel also therefore has a hand in promoting multifaith lies as well....

https://www.near-neighbours.org.uk/about

Last edited:

JSTyler

I'm curious about whether or not my experiences with the social gospel are similar to that of anyone else here.

This is anecdotal to my experiences and not a blanket condemnation of any sort of any particular group/sect but that said...

All of my exposure to the mess that is the social gospel has been from two sources;
1 - Back in the late 80's thru the mid 90's it was pushed into the church I attended through the seeker-friendly movement, Hybels/Warren/and their ilk. It was blatant, obvious and should have been easily spotted, rooted out, confronted directly and or avoided by Bible believing Christ followers. Tragically it wasn't by far too many and it's pretty easy to see the rotten fruit of much of that movement.

2 - Much more recently I've seen it burgeon and expand through the reformed/5-pointer/preterist/replacement theology/covenant theology crowds. This seems to me to be a much more subversive approach. These folks say and do almost all of the right "churchy" things except for a few very glaring categories of omission...no alter calls, no emphasis on hell, no call for repentance, no pivotal moments of accept/believe . My opinion based on observation is that according to this position is that there's no real need for us to do practical evangelism, but rather focus on social "good". Why? Well, as I'm certain the gang here already knows, the eternal appointments have already been made. There's nothing anyone can do at anytime that makes any difference as God has already appointed some to eternal life and others to eternal damnation. This is the horrific danger of the this "small-god" theological trap.

I'll leave off commenting there. I'm really curious to see if I'm off in the dark somewhere on near the target.

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
No, I think you have analyzed well. It is true that the bible tells us we were made for good works that the Lord has planned for us long ago. But, we need to be careful not to put the cart before the horse here. First one must repent and place their faith in the redeeming work of Jesus Christ, then one is enabled by the Holy Spirit to do good works, in response to Christ's Salvation and in response to Christ's direction.

The great danger here is, as the OP article says, either thinking good works will save or that the Gospel + Good Works save. The truth is salvation is only by:

....This is the message of faith that we proclaim: If you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. One believes with the heart, resulting in righteousness, and one confesses with the mouth, resulting in salvation.

Romans 10:8-10

I think that the most important good work, the number one after salvation is:

....Then He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to the whole creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

Mark 16:15-16

One of the classic signs of a cult or wayward movement is taking aspects of the Word of God out of context or emphasizing parts of God's Word at the expense of the rest of God's Word. In this case good works (the cart) is being emphasized neglecting the most important the Gospel (the horse that moves the cart). So then, this movement isn't really going to go anywhere spiritually unless first things first is dealt with. The Gospel and it's saving power to transform the soul. Then the cart can be moved for effective work for the Lord.

Unfortunately some of this has stemmed from some seminaries who've been unfaithful in teaching the inerrancy of the bible and that the bible and all it's message is true. Therefor, some of these pastors coming out do not believe or are weak in faith (not all) and thus biblically impotent to deal with false teaching that invariably comes in wave after wave. In some cases some of these pastors themselves teach false teaching. As a result the people suffer for lack of biblical knowledge and are led astray.

But, praise God, He's still working in getting the Gospel out to all the world!! There are still pastors, leaders, people faithfully following the Lord in this.

athenasius

I'm curious about whether or not my experiences with the social gospel are similar to that of anyone else here.

This is anecdotal to my experiences and not a blanket condemnation of any sort of any particular group/sect but that said...

All of my exposure to the mess that is the social gospel has been from two sources;
1 - Back in the late 80's thru the mid 90's it was pushed into the church I attended through the seeker-friendly movement, Hybels/Warren/and their ilk. It was blatant, obvious and should have been easily spotted, rooted out, confronted directly and or avoided by Bible believing Christ followers. Tragically it wasn't by far too many and it's pretty easy to see the rotten fruit of much of that movement.

2 - Much more recently I've seen it burgeon and expand through the reformed/5-pointer/preterist/replacement theology/covenant theology crowds. This seems to me to be a much more subversive approach. These folks say and do almost all of the right "churchy" things except for a few very glaring categories of omission...no alter calls, no emphasis on hell, no call for repentance, no pivotal moments of accept/believe . My opinion based on observation is that according to this position is that there's no real need for us to do practical evangelism, but rather focus on social "good". Why? Well, as I'm certain the gang here already knows, the eternal appointments have already been made. There's nothing anyone can do at anytime that makes any difference as God has already appointed some to eternal life and others to eternal damnation. This is the horrific danger of the this "small-god" theological trap.

I'll leave off commenting there. I'm really curious to see if I'm off in the dark somewhere on near the target.
I agree with EvLife. You are right on target.

I'm going to give you what I've seen, naming names and groups that I've watched with alarm.

Satan has a number of methods to subvert the gospel depending on the crowd he is targeting. The older mainline denominations succumbed in the late 1800's to the forerunner of the social gospel called the "higher critics" or liberal theology. The Fundamentalist movement was started to combat that decline. But the infection of the liberal theology and the so called "higher" critics of the Bible affected the seminaries and suddenly all the pulpits were preaching anything but the gospel.

Things gathered steam for years, Word of Faith started up with the roots of EW Kenyon in the early days of the last century and quickly began to infect the Pentecostal and Charismatic groups. Latter Rain came on the scene in the 40's, then followed by the Kansas City Prophets, and that theology was picked up partially by John Wimber with the Vineyard movement.

After Vineyard got going, then came the Toronto "blessing" and Lakeland Florida "revivals, and into THAT heretical seedbed, the NAR (New Apostolic Reformation) under C Peter Wagner got going.

The NAR joined forces with the new Spiritual Warfare theology and hyper prayer warrior stuff launched by George Otis Jr and Cindy Jacobs and Mike Bickle's IHOP KC which was also heavily influenced by the Kansas City Prophets (a bunch of really bad people with terrible heresy)

The mainline denominations that remained conservative were easy prey for the Reform theologians, especially the "young restless and reformed" whose demographic also seemed vulnerable to the social gospel. RJ Rushdoony wrote an influential book called the Institutes of Biblical Law that appealed to a lot of Reform minded people and the Christian Reconstructionist movement was born.

The ones that weren't falling for that were invaded by the church growth movement by Bill Hybels and his wife Lynn --a big name in the pro Palestinian Christ at the Checkpoint anti Israel movement within the church, that is designed to move entire denominations into Replacement Theology where the Church replaces Israel.

And of course the Purpose Driven stuff by Rick Warren.

In Great Britain there were some other influential groups including a man called Barney Coombs who I met in Vancouver when I was in my 20's. He was leading a church there called St Margaret's where cousins of mine went who were following Barney closely. That group had some influence in what would become the Toronto Airport Vineyard "blessing". He was part of a movement of restorationists in Great Britain known as the Magnificent 7 later the Fabulous 14 who were a lot like the NAR believing themselves to be modern day apostles and prophets. I remember tracing the influence of that group because it had affected me personally and it was part of why I got into the bad church I got excommed out of in the late 90's.

There are a number of ways that Satan packages his poison for churches but the tentacles of the octopus always trace back to him.

I call it "The Infection" and it's sadly taken down many good seminaries, many good churches and the thing that remains the greatest danger is when people don't read and know their Bible.

Reading and understanding the Word of God is the best way to fight the infection in all of it's forms. While knowing the sources and dealing with individual sick theology helps, the most important protection is to READ AND KNOW THE WORD OF GOD.

Hosea warns of a lack of knowledge of God
Hosea 4:6 King James Version (KJV)
6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.

and if that applied to the priests of the Old Covenant, how much more does it apply to us today.

I don't mean that God would reject us, that cannot happen, He promises He won't reject a single one who comes to Him and belongs to Him. But we can be hurt by our lack of knowledge. Satan prowls like a lion seeking whom he may devour. Knowledge and understanding of the Word of God is one of our best weapons against that attack. Prayer, remaining in fellowship with like minded believers who also love God and revere His Word.

No you are not mistaken @JSTyler!

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
Good to see you athenasius! :)

Reading and understanding the Word of God is the best way to fight the infection in all of it's forms. While knowing the sources and dealing with individual sick theology helps, the most important protection is to READ AND KNOW THE WORD OF GOD.
Yes, yes, yes!!!! After coming out of a bad religious place as a young person, reading the bible and knowing the bible really saved me a ton of spiritual headaches! That was by God's kind grace in my life.

It's never too late to start reading and getting more familiar with scripture. I remember feeling kind of intimidated about setting up a bible reading schedule and wondering if I would study "right", but you know, all I had to do was crack it open and ask God to help me understand. Boy, did the Holy Spirit really take over and to this day God's Word is the most satisfying and assuring thing in my life. :nod

ItIsFinished!

I agree with EvLife. You are right on target.

I'm going to give you what I've seen, naming names and groups that I've watched with alarm.

Satan has a number of methods to subvert the gospel depending on the crowd he is targeting. The older mainline denominations succumbed in the late 1800's to the forerunner of the social gospel called the "higher critics" or liberal theology. The Fundamentalist movement was started to combat that decline. But the infection of the liberal theology and the so called "higher" critics of the Bible affected the seminaries and suddenly all the pulpits were preaching anything but the gospel.

Things gathered steam for years, Word of Faith started up with the roots of EW Kenyon in the early days of the last century and quickly began to infect the Pentecostal and Charismatic groups. Latter Rain came on the scene in the 40's, then followed by the Kansas City Prophets, and that theology was picked up partially by John Wimber with the Vineyard movement.

After Vineyard got going, then came the Toronto "blessing" and Lakeland Florida "revivals, and into THAT heretical seedbed, the NAR (New Apostolic Reformation) under C Peter Wagner got going.

The NAR joined forces with the new Spiritual Warfare theology and hyper prayer warrior stuff launched by George Otis Jr and Cindy Jacobs and Mike Bickle's IHOP KC which was also heavily influenced by the Kansas City Prophets (a bunch of really bad people with terrible heresy)

The mainline denominations that remained conservative were easy prey for the Reform theologians, especially the "young restless and reformed" whose demographic also seemed vulnerable to the social gospel. RJ Rushdoony wrote an influential book called the Institutes of Biblical Law that appealed to a lot of Reform minded people and the Christian Reconstructionist movement was born.

The ones that weren't falling for that were invaded by the church growth movement by Bill Hybels and his wife Lynn --a big name in the pro Palestinian Christ at the Checkpoint anti Israel movement within the church, that is designed to move entire denominations into Replacement Theology where the Church replaces Israel.

And of course the Purpose Driven stuff by Rick Warren.

In Great Britain there were some other influential groups including a man called Barney Coombs who I met in Vancouver when I was in my 20's. He was leading a church there called St Margaret's where cousins of mine went who were following Barney closely. That group had some influence in what would become the Toronto Airport Vineyard "blessing". He was part of a movement of restorationists in Great Britain known as the Magnificent 7 later the Fabulous 14 who were a lot like the NAR believing themselves to be modern day apostles and prophets. I remember tracing the influence of that group because it had affected me personally and it was part of why I got into the bad church I got excommed out of in the late 90's.

There are a number of ways that Satan packages his poison for churches but the tentacles of the octopus always trace back to him.

I call it "The Infection" and it's sadly taken down many good seminaries, many good churches and the thing that remains the greatest danger is when people don't read and know their Bible.

Hosea warns of a lack of knowledge of God
Hosea 4:6 King James Version (KJV)
6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.

and if that applied to the priests of the Old Covenant, how much more does it apply to us today.

I don't mean that God would reject us, that cannot happen, He promises He won't reject a single one who comes to Him and belongs to Him. But we can be hurt by our lack of knowledge. Satan prowls like a lion seeking whom he may devour. Knowledge and understanding of the Word of God is one of our best weapons against that attack. Prayer, remaining in fellowship with like minded believers who also love God and revere His Word.

No you are not mistaken @JSTyler!
This is a great post.

:thumbup

ItIsFinished!

Good to see you athenasius! :)

Yes, yes, yes!!!! After coming out of a bad religious place as a young person, reading the bible and knowing the bible really saved me a ton of spiritual headaches! That was by God's kind grace in my life.

It's never too late to start reading and getting more familiar with scripture. I remember feeling kind of intimidated about setting up a bible reading schedule and wondering if I would study "right", but you know, all I had to do was crack it open and ask God to help me understand. Boy, did the Holy Spirit really take over and to this day God's Word is the most satisfying and assuring thing in my life. :nod
Amen!!