SOAP bible study method

Andy C

Has anyone here used this study method? Our Thursday evening bible study group we joined a few months ago uses this. I did research on this method, mixed reviews. However, we use a modified version, and works well. It forces the group to read the pre designated chapter, and write a few paragraphs on what they learned, and then we take turns and share with the group and discuss. Last night it was on 1 John 1. Great discussion with iron sharpening iron.
This would be very time consuming with a large group, but our home study group usually has 8 attending.

SOAP

S Scripture. We are given a chapter to study all week, and you pick a verse or 2 and write about it

O. Observation. What are these verses saying?

A. Application. How this passage applies to your life.

P. Prayer.

I took the group leader out to breakfast to get his take on why he uses this method. He believes it forces people to read and study the verses, vice showing up for group and not being prepared to talk about anything. I agree, it works, and some who may not ever chime in during discussions, are now involved.

UntilTheWholeWorldHears

Has anyone here used this study method? Our Thursday evening bible study group we joined a few months ago uses this. I did research on this method, mixed reviews. However, we use a modified version, and works well. It forces the group to read the pre designated chapter, and write a few paragraphs on what they learned, and then we take turns and share with the group and discuss. Last night it was on 1 John 1. Great discussion with iron sharpening iron.
This would be very time consuming with a large group, but our home study group usually has 8 attending.

SOAP

S Scripture. We are given a chapter to study all week, and you pick a verse or 2 and write about it

O. Observation. What are these verses saying?

A. Application. How this passage applies to your life.

P. Prayer.

I took the group leader out to breakfast to get his take on why he uses this method. He believes it forces people to read and study the verses, vice showing up for group and not being prepared to talk about anything. I agree, it works, and some who may not ever chime in during discussions, are now involved.
Few years ago while living in NC I attended a Bible study that used SOAP.
Like you said, it works well in small groups.
Thanks for sharing,I’m going to start using this study method in my quiet time.

Back