So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void

Longing2cJesus

God, in His Word says..............
Isa 55:11
So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

I often research the meaning of words when reading the Scriptures. I wanted to know the exact meaning of "shall not" in the above verse and this is what it means:

The definition of the phrase “Shall Not” is fairly straight forward to anyone who speaks English. It is actually two words, “Shall” and “Not.”

The definition of “Shall” according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary is:
archaic a : will have to : must b : will be able to : can
a —used to express a command or exhortation <you shall go> b —used in laws, regulations, or directives to express what is mandatory <it shall be unlawful to carry firearms>
a —used to express what is inevitable or seems likely to happen in the future <we shall have to be ready> <we shall see> b —used to express simple futurity <when shall we expect you>
—used to express determination <they shall not pass>

Basically, the meaning is simple. You can do something or you must do something. However, when you add the second word, “Not” the meaning changes. Again from the Merriam-Webster Dictionary:

—used as a function word to make negative a group of words or a word
—used as a function word to stand for the negative of a preceding group of words <is sometimes hard to see and sometimes not>

So, the word “Not” is used to make the proceeding word or group of words negative.
The word “Shall” as mention, says that you can, should or must. When the word “Not is added, the meaning of “Shall” reverses. It becomes forbidden.

I love what I found out for when God says His Word "shall not" return void that is a very powerful statement by Him. There is such power in God's Word!!!!

Thank You Father God for Your Word!!!!

Anewcreationinjesus

Come Lord Jesus!!!!!!
I still find it so interesting that one of the Lord Jesus' names is the Word.... And as for that wonderful description of him in Revelation 19, when he defeats the beast and his armies, he is also called the Word of God....

How precious is his word in these trying times... Anything that seeks to cast doubt on his word or alter it is to be filed under b for bin...

It is so amazing too that God Almighty speaks and it is done! He spoke creation into existence.... Jesus said at the Cross, it is finished.... And there are so many promises that God has spoken of in his word that we know will come to pass, for example the new heavens and new earth....

Just this morning though I saw another example of "little god" false teaching where someone had written some "declare these" I am" statements over yourself ".... God is the only I AM and we don't declare things into being.... God is the only one who does that!

Am sure there is another passage in Isaiah that talks about God who" declares things that are right". This could open up a whole new Bible study....

Oh and one of the most mind-blowing, favouritest verses in the entire Bible I reckon is to be found in the Olivet discourse.... Where the Lord Jesus said, "Heaven and earth will pass away but my words will by no means pass away".. Actually thinking about it, by no means, is a very strong statement too, like, shall not!!

Just looking at the Greek, am no scholar, but "ou" seems to have the sense of, the absolute negative, as in, shall never pass away!

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G3756&t=KJV

Is such a joy to have fellowship like this and take great delight in his word which is a lamp to our feet and a light to our path.... Is extra special joy for me as unsaved people in this household between themselves call me a "God botherer".... So fellowship on here is ever more precious....

Actually looking at the KJV for Matt 24, it is the phrase "shall not" pass away there too...

https://www.blueletterbible.org/kjv/mat/24/1/t_conc_953035

I can't wait for that wonderful day when us brothers and sisters actually meet and have everlasting fellowship, joy never-ending!! This is just a wonderful taster of that...

Last edited: