Snow

Discussion in 'Anything Goes Coffee Shop' started by Cloud Watcher, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Cloud Watcher

Cloud Watcher Well-Known Member

We have had it for a week now. I am ready for it to be gone. More snow in the forecast for this week. Ugh! Spring, come quickly!

I think I should consider investing in some snowshoes. Either that or a husky and a sled.

2. Batfan7

Batfan7 Well-Known Member

I missed work today because of being snowed in. Ugh.

3. chaser

chaser Well-Known Member

Snow again today, 2.5" so far and more for Thu/Fri/Sat and High temps next week in the mid teens, not just our area, I think I saw that Oregon & Washington getting record snow, and record snow in North Dakota. Maybe all the fires all over the earth along with volcano eruptions are playing a part in cooling.

4. Tall Timbers

Tall Timbers Imperfect but forgiven

We've got snow in the forecast for the next few days, but thankfully have gotten a minimal amount of the white stuff so far this winter... of course, we're only half way through our winter...

5. Salluz

Salluz Well-Known Member

I've been loving the snow honestly. It's so so pretty and I love the crunching sound it makes as I walk through it. I don't really have to drive very often though, so I can see where some would dislike it. There's just something so nice about walking through snow as it's falling. My dogs have been loving it too; I let them outside in it and they run around like crazy and I get such a laugh out of it. Plus it's nice to get days off class (like today where I have off for snow and freezing rain). Although if my little bible study this evening is cancelled as well I think I might just be upset with the snow (although I still find it beautiful)

6. Reason & Hope

Reason & Hope Member

We don't usually get much snow in Western Washington, but we're getting snowstorm after snowstorm. Husband is telecommuting, along with his staff, which works for a few days, but not too long. Youngest is a math tutor and his workplace is totally shutdown. How to tutor students when the roads are impassable? Daughter has gone to work a couple of times, even if shorter hours, because fortunately most of her route is on flat streets, not hills.

For those wondering why snow is a problem for us:
    1. We have lots of hills.
    2. Since out regular temperature in winter is above freezing, when snow falls on the roads, first it melts, then more snow gets packed in causing the first layer to turn to ice.
    3. Since big snowstorms happen once once every 5-8 years, we simply don't have enough snowplows. However, my town and county are doing much better than Seattle.

Yesterday my daughter and her photographer friend spent the day preparing for and doing a winter photo shoot in our yard. My daughter was dressed and made up to look like a snow queen. Lots of fun. I helped with the hair. Today daughter needs to drive in to work and I'm praying the roads are safe.

7. Tall Timbers

After I finish here I'll head out to clear about 7" of accumulated snow. Plow, snowblower, shovel, it'll be several hours before I'm done.

p.s. My five hour job is done. I like snow. I especially like watching it fall from the sky. The only part I'm liking less and less are these five our snow removal jobs. I'm getting too old for this kind of fun!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  8. Kem

Kem Citizen

Some love snow, some hate it. Glad I live in the south and it is 78 degrees and sunny today. :D

9. Cloud Watcher

Today it is turning to slush.

10. kathymendel

kathymendel Well-Known Member

Yeah, as much as I would like to leave the crazy state of California - southern California at that - at almost 75, I can't imagine leaving our nice weather behind, and having to deal with the elements. There is no way I can shovel snow, let alone drive in it, and I wouldn't be able to afford paying for shoveling and cabs to the store and doctors, etc. So, guess I'll just live out my days here with all the crazies. I'm just praying we haven't too much longer to be here in this world, wherever we are!!!
    Come Lord Jesus!!!

11. Kaatje

Kaatje Well-Known Member

No snow over here, we have almost springlike temperatures of 12 degrees Celcius.

We are having a house build and frost would delay everything, so very thankfull!

12. Kerbluey

Kerbluey Well-Known Member

We’ve had cold rain, which means mud everywhere. Meh.

13. mattfivefour

mattfivefour Administrator Staff Member

53 today in south-central Illinois. Darn cold and snowy up in eastern Ontario where we'll be returning in a week or so. Hopefully by then the back of this Canadian winter will be broken.

Btw, Cloud Watcher, I love your avatar! :nod

14. Cloud Watcher

Thanks.

ShilohRose, SonSeeker, Salluz and 4 others like this.
  15. Mary Cole

Mary Cole Well-Known Member

63 here today, and tomorrow will be only 33 for the high, and by evening rush hour, the snow will fall again and temps will be in the teens.

16. Tall Timbers

-5 to 5 deg here today, and we've gotten a respite after a couple of days of heavy snow.

17. lightofmylife

lightofmylife Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!

45 here today, and tomorrow 15 and 80% chance of snow. What a drop in temp!

Andy C, ShilohRose, SonSeeker and 4 others like this.
  18. chaser

chaser Well-Known Member

The 14 day forecast for our area( Eastern Nebraska) lows of -4 and highs of 15 to 33 and calling for snow on 10 of 14 days , we got our first snow in October, feels like we are in Narnia forever winter :gaah

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    Andy C, ShilohRose, SonSeeker and 5 others like this.
  19. greg64

greg64 Well-Known Member

100% chance of potholes here... worst roads in the nation, and this is the beginning of the worst time of year for them. After the vortex, we had a large temp swing and a little bit of everything, but believe it will stabilize and be below freezing for the next week or so.

Andy C, ShilohRose, caligal and 5 others like this.
  20. Cloud Watcher

I hate potholes. Once all the snow is gone, I expect to see a lot of them.
    On the other forum, I once started a thread "I live in pothole city".

Andy C, ShilohRose, SonSeeker and 6 others like this.