Site question

Psalm37v4

Can anyone help out an old lady? I’m in the process of getting another computer after my last one died Sunday, and as I recall there is (or was) a site that has basic Programs and browsers that are frequently updated and ready to download for when you need to install things like email, web browser, and so on. You select the programs you want to install on your PC and then it either installs them for you or saves the selections in a compact file… I cannot remember the name of the site… Can anyone help me?

JSTyler

Can anyone help out an old lady? I’m in the process of getting another computer after my last one died Sunday, and as I recall there is (or was) a site that has basic Programs and browsers that are frequently updated and ready to download for when you need to install things like email, web browser, and so on. You select the programs you want to install on your PC and then it either installs them for you or saves the selections in a compact file… I cannot remember the name of the site… Can anyone help me?
I've not heard of that but it seems like a risky proposition. There are too many ways to include nefarious links in a package system like that.

If permitted, I'd be happy post direct links to most of the programs I use. I'd be happy to suggest plugins and addons for browser that increase security, too.

And I know that are several other very tech savvy folks in here that would have a lot to ofer as well.

mattfivefour

Sister, never download ANY program from a source other than the program creator. As our brother says above there are just too many opportunities for nefarious software to be hidden in downloads. Download Microsoft programs ONLY from a Microsoft site, Adobe only from Adobe, etc. Ditto any other common program, including email clients, music libraries, photo and video editing, and office software. And only download games from either the Google, Microsoft, or Apple stores. Never download a group of programs from a "compilation" site. You don't know what you are really getting. If a person truly knows what they are doing online there are options, but what I have written above is always my advice for the average user.

Psalm37v4

Well I am not an average user… Lol… I spent time on the Internet for my past job, and my mom. I’ve had to do a lot of searching on the web. I know all about suspicious looking sites, the dark web (Which I’ve never visited), etc.

Psalm37v4

Just an update...I was able to find what I needed on my own.
I basically needed Firefox, Chrome, Audacity, Winamp, VLC Media Player, Adobe DC, and Office. I have licenses and product keys for the programs listed.
I know many don't like Chrome (and maybe not Firefox either?) but I am the most familiar with them.

Last edited:

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I basically needed Firefox, Chrome, Audacity, Winamp, VLC Media Player, Adobe DC, and Office. I have licenses and product keys for the programs listed.
I know many don't like Chrome (and maybe not Firefox either?) but I am the most familiar with them.

Well done. I use Firefox quite a bit. I'll use Chrome when a govmint website doesn't work in Firefox, which happens occasionally. I have Brave installed on my laptop too, but I've been using Firefox for so long that I'm just used to it.

Jonathan

Sister, never download ANY program from a source other than the program creator. As our brother says above there are just too many opportunities for nefarious software to be hidden in downloads. Download Microsoft programs ONLY from a Microsoft site, Adobe only from Adobe, etc. Ditto any other common program, including email clients, music libraries, photo and video editing, and office software. And only download games from either the Google, Microsoft, or Apple stores. Never download a group of programs from a "compilation" site. You don't know what you are really getting. If a person truly knows what they are doing online there are options, but what I have written above is always my advice for the average user.
Agreed. To put what you basically just said, NEVER download a program from a site that essentially asks you to INSTALL something in order to download it. Never, EVER, do that. Any reasonably non-suspect piece of software does not require a program to download. You already got a program. It's called a browser.

Yup, go with the developer's website. Sage word.

There is only one exception I can think of is if you are trying to acquire a piece of software that is several year old but is no longer being maintained or provided by it's creator (for all you know he man be dead)..

In this case, (and by the way, this isn't for you matt, just anyone else), I would go to a reputable site that specialized in the topic and software at hand, and go from there. But never, EVER, download a "download client." Again, that is what your browser is for.

GEOINTAnalyst

Just curious as to what "Died" on your laptop - it may be fixable

GEOINTAnalyst

I would stay away from Winamp - the full version Winamp 5.666 Build 3516 (5.6.6.3516) - 12 Dec 2013 has not been upgraded since then - a beta version 5.8 came out in 2019 but again no updates since then either
VLC will play about anything you throw at it - you do not need a license or product key for VLC, Audacity, Firefox, Chrome they are FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) Adobe DC is just a PDF reader should not need a license or product key either just MS Office - I would reccomend Foxit PDF Reader over Adobe DC has more functions and is free

Last edited:

Psalm37v4

Sorry to be so late in replying. Busy with caring for Mom.
I didn't realize Winamp hadn't been updated in years. It was my go-to for a long time.
I already downloaded VLC, as I like it much better when it comes to watching videos.

As for Adobe DC, I should've said Adobe DC Pro. I work on editing PDFs sometimes and unless there is a truly free one out there that will let me do that, will have to purchase that one.