Should women be pastors

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Staff member
What about Deborah?

Deborah judged Israel. I used her as an example upthread just to show that God put (pre-Church age) a woman in a leadership role over men and women. There are lots of examples, including in the blood line of Jesus where the way of things was switched around. A time or two in that blood line a younger was given the blessing generally due the older. That's why I say no, but leave it to God beyond that because He has been known to do things in unexpected ways. I love His Word and study it daily. During this life I'll never be able to stand up and say I understand it perfectly.

lightofmylife

Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!
Deborah judged Israel. I used her as an example upthread just to show that God put (pre-Church age) a woman in a leadership role over men and women. There are lots of examples, including in the blood line of Jesus where the way of things was switched around. A time or two in that blood line a younger was given the blessing generally due the older. That's why I say no, but leave it to God beyond that because He has been known to do things in unexpected ways. I love His Word and study it daily. During this life I'll never be able to stand up and say I understand it perfectly.
I am thinking of Balaam's talking donkey. :bouncies It reminds me of the TV show Mr. Ed the talking horse.

Last edited:

Carl

Thanks TT you said it much better than I did. In Deborah's case wasn't it because none of the men judges were doing the job that God wanted done?

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Staff member
Thanks TT you said it much better than I did. In Deborah's case wasn't it because none of the men judges were doing the job that God wanted done?

Don't remember, but she's a good example of how God works/will work and He is the same yesterday, today, tomorrow. None-the-less, because of my understanding of the Bible, I would not return to a church with a woman pastor or a woman in any other role that I understand from the Word she shouldn't be in, same as I wouldn't return to an apostate church once I realize they're apostate.

GoldenEagle

I completely agree with this.

One of the things I like about Chuck Missler is how he sometimes prefaces his teaching with a comment about how other very good scholars hold different views. He will then show why he holds his opinion, and leave you to search the scriptures and make up your own mind.

I personally like the space and freedom this gives me to grow - without pressure to agree with something I haven’t yet seen or realised from the Word for myself.

At pretty much every point in my Christian journey there have been opinions I’ve held which at the time I thought were unshakeable…but then they’ve later been changed. None of us gets it all right all of the time - not even the most highly esteemed gifted Bible teachers. I personally think it’s humility to acknowledge this in areas of non-essential Christian doctrine. And of course, without violating this forums rules when posting here.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Yes, but only in exceptional circumstances, such as an underground church in a sharia-controlled area or community, which is comprised entirely and only of women and girls. Even one man or boy knowing about the church, or even suspecting, would be a lethal threat to every woman and girl in the church.

In the absence of exceptional circumstances, no.

1 This is a true saying, if a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
5 (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)
6 Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.
7 Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.
8 Likewise must the deacons be grave, not doubletongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy lucre;
9 Holding the mystery of the faith in a pure conscience.
10 And let these also first be proved; then let them use the office of a deacon, being found blameless.
11 Even so must their wives be grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all things.
12 Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.
13 For they that have used the office of a deacon well purchase to themselves a good degree, and great boldness in the faith which is in Christ Jesus.
1 Timothy 3:1-13, KJV

The only church office mentioned in the New Testament for a woman is Deaconess. Depending on the translation, the word deaconess, deacon, servant, special servant, helper, minister, or leader is used. Phoebe was one.

I commend unto you Phebe our sister, which is a servant of the church which is at Cenchrea:
Romans 16:1, KJV

I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a servant of the church at Cenchreae,
Romans 16:1, ESV

Now I introduce and commend to you our sister Phoebe, a deaconess of the church at Cenchreae,
Romans 16:1, AMPC

I have good things to say about Phoebe, who is a leader in the church at Cenchreae.
Romans 16:1, CEV

But I commend to you Phoebe, our sister, who is minister of the assembly which is in Cenchrea;
Romans 16:1, DARBY

I want you to know that you can trust our sister in Christ, Phoebe. She is a special servant of the church in Cenchrea.
Romans 16:1, ERV

I ·recommend [commend] to you our sister Phoebe, who is a ·helper [or servant; or minister; or deacon; 1 Tim. 3:11] in the church in Cenchrea [C Phoebe may have been the messenger carrying this letter].
Romans 16:1, EXB

Now I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a deacon in the church at Cenchrea.
Romans 16:1, ISV

With this letter I’m introducing Phoebe to you. She is our sister in the Christian faith and a deacon of the church in the city of Cenchrea.
Romans 16:1, NOG

I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a deacon of the church in Cenchreae.
Romans 16:1, NIV

I commend unto you Phebe our sister, who is a servant of the congregation {Gr. ekklesia – called out ones} which is at Cenchrea,
Romans 16:1, JUB

Hope this helps.

I had thought about becoming a Pastor at one time, but after doing my research, decided that as a woman, I was not called for it, and it is neither my place to be a Pastor, nor to start a church.

Last edited:

ItIsFinished!

Blood bought child of the King of kings.
Yes, but only in exceptional circumstances, such as an underground church in a sharia-controlled area or community, which is comprised entirely and only of women and girls. Even one man or boy knowing about the church, or even suspecting, would be a lethal threat to every woman and girl in the church.

In the absence of exceptional circumstances, no.

1 This is a true saying, if a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
5 (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)
6 Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.
7 Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.
8 Likewise must the deacons be grave, not doubletongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy lucre;
9 Holding the mystery of the faith in a pure conscience.
10 And let these also first be proved; then let them use the office of a deacon, being found blameless.
11 Even so must their wives be grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all things.
12 Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.
13 For they that have used the office of a deacon well purchase to themselves a good degree, and great boldness in the faith which is in Christ Jesus.
1 Timothy 3:1-13, KJV

The only church office mentioned in the New Testament for a woman is Deaconess. Depending on the translation, the word deaconess, deacon, servant, special servant, helper, minister, or leader is used. Phoebe was one.

I commend unto you Phebe our sister, which is a servant of the church which is at Cenchrea:
Romans 16:1, KJV

I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a servant of the church at Cenchreae,
Romans 16:1, ESV

Now I introduce and commend to you our sister Phoebe, a deaconess of the church at Cenchreae,
Romans 16:1, AMPC

I have good things to say about Phoebe, who is a leader in the church at Cenchreae.
Romans 16:1, CEV

But I commend to you Phoebe, our sister, who is minister of the assembly which is in Cenchrea;
Romans 16:1, DARBY

I want you to know that you can trust our sister in Christ, Phoebe. She is a special servant of the church in Cenchrea.
Romans 16:1, ERV

I ·recommend [commend] to you our sister Phoebe, who is a ·helper [or servant; or minister; or deacon; 1 Tim. 3:11] in the church in Cenchrea [C Phoebe may have been the messenger carrying this letter].
Romans 16:1, EXB

Now I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a deacon in the church at Cenchrea.
Romans 16:1, ISV

With this letter I’m introducing Phoebe to you. She is our sister in the Christian faith and a deacon of the church in the city of Cenchrea.
Romans 16:1, NOG

I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a deacon of the church in Cenchreae.
Romans 16:1, NIV

I commend unto you Phebe our sister, who is a servant of the congregation {Gr. ekklesia – called out ones} which is at Cenchrea,
Romans 16:1, JUB

Hope this helps.

I had thought about becoming a Pastor at one time, but after doing my research, decided that as a woman, I was not called for it, and it is neither my place to be a Pastor, nor to start a church.
Servant is the proper translation in Romans 16:1.
NOT deacon.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Servant is the proper translation in Romans 16:1.
NOT deacon.

Several Bible translations disagree with your statement.

As far as I'm concerned, a woman holding any such office in a church may only use it for the benefit, instruction, ministry, etc. of/to the women and girls, not to be over men. Every church that I know of that has Deaconesses (women) uses them very differently than they use Deacons (men).

ItIsFinished!

Several Bible translations disagree with your statement.

As far as I'm concerned, a woman holding any such office in a church may only use it for the benefit, instruction, ministry, etc. of/to the women and girls, not to be over men. Every church that I know of that has Deaconesses (women) uses them very differently than they use Deacons (men).
Several bible trabslations are wrong.
Deacon is an improper translation.
Servant is the proper translation.
Some of those trabslations you cited error in other areas as well.
Not one church that I've ever been to has a
"deaconess".
Not one.
Only liberal churches have them.
I don't associate with any liberal churches.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Staff member
When a person is always right and anyone who disagrees is wrong... the person who insists they are right over and over again begins to lose credibility. We're all human. None of us any more than Bible scholars get it perfectly right all the time.

ItIsFinished!

When a person is always right and anyone who disagrees is wrong... the person who insists they are right over and over again begins to lose credibility. We're all human. None of us any more than Bible scholars get it perfectly right all the time.
And no one is doing that.
In regards to this topic The Scriptures are
abundantly clear.
It absolutely has nothing to do with who thinks they are or are not right.
It has everything to do with what The Word of God states.
There are no grey areas involved with this topic.
There are no exceptions involved.
Some people like to stay true to the Scriptures and not get loose with them.
We all can read what happen in the garden of Eden when that happens.

Let God's Word be true and sure.
God is not the aurhor of confusion.