Should the crosses be cut off a Syracuse church to create a mosque?

araj54

Note the bolded line. :twitch

Should the crosses be cut off a Syracuse church to create a mosque? | syracuse.com

SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- The Syracuse Landmark Preservation Board is expected to vote Thursday morning on whether an Islamic group can cut the crosses off the steeples of a former Catholic Church.

The North Side Learning Center bought the former Holy Trinity Catholic Church on Syracuse's North Side and is turning it into a mosque. But it can't do that if it is not allowed to remove the crosses, said Yusuf Soule, director of the North Side Learning Center.

Islam does not allow the worship of idols or symbols, Soule said.

The city's preservation board has to approve the cross removal, along with a fence the group wants to install, because the building is a protected historic site.

Some former church parishioners aren't happy with the plans to remove the crosses, which were installed when the church was built more than 100 years ago by German immigrants. The church has been closed for four years.

The North Side Learning Center bought the former Holy Trinity Church at 501 Park St. in December. The nonprofit, all-volunteer organization, which provides literacy education for adults and children, paid $150,000 for the church campus, which also includes a rectory and school.

It will rent the church to a group that's creating the mosque, but many of the main players are the same. Soule, a Muslim, has been the public point-person for the mosque effort. He estimated the mosque will be used by about 5,000 people.

The North Side Learning Center also will move from its current, rented home on North McBride Street, to the school building on the Trinity campus.

About a dozen people have sent letters to the preservation board, expressing concern about the plan. There is also a petition on Change.org to stop the crosses from being removed that has more than 200 signatures.

Anne Angiolillo, who raised her 10 children at Holy Trinity and still lives nearby, said she is happy the church will again be used as a house of worship, but she can't stomach having the crosses removed.

"The crosses are an integral part of the building," Angiolillo said.

If the group's application to remove the crosses isn't approved, it can appeal to the city Planning Commission.

The preservation board meeting will be at 8:30 a.m. in the Common Council Chambers at city hall.

araj54

Islamic group gets OK to cut crosses off former Catholic church in NY despite landmark status

Islamic group gets OK to cut crosses off former Catholic church in NY despite landmark status | Fox News

SYRACUSE, N.Y. – A city board in upstate New York has given a Muslim group the go-ahead to remove six crosses from the roof and spires of a century-old former Catholic church so the now-vacant Gothic structure can be used as a mosque.

More than 200 people had signed an online petition calling on the Syracuse Landmark Preservation Board to deny an application by North Side Learning Center, the church's new owner, to remove the crosses and build a six-foot chain-link fence.

Board Chairman Don Radke the board cannot interfere with a decision that involves religious freedom. The board voted Thursday to allow the church alterations.

The Syracuse Post-Standard reports that (Islamic group can remove crosses from Syracuse church | syracuse.com ) about a dozen people who spoke at the meeting were evenly divided for and against the church conversion.

Lily

Looking Up
Just when you think that there's nothing that can surprise you anymore. It's now ok for Muslims to cut crosses off of churches?

Not sure what to make of this statement either:
Anne Angiolillo, who raised her 10 children at Holy Trinity and still lives nearby, said she is happy the church will again be used as a house of worship, but she can't stomach having the crosses removed.
Really?

Lily

Looking Up
I thought some more about this and had to come back and comment about this statement:

Board Chairman Don Radke the board cannot interfere with a decision that involves religious freedom. The board voted Thursday to allow the church alterations.
I can't help but wonder, if this were a mosque and someone wanted to erect crosses on it, would his brand of "religious freedom" allow it?

railfan727

I'd love to see a mosque turned into a church... not just any "church", but a true, Bible-based, Prophecy teaching church!!!!

WaitingOnHim

Renewed In Christ
One more incident that proves how justified our one, true God is in the wrath He will unleash on this evil world. :((

Praise God that we won't be around to experience it.

:pray::pray:

ReadyforSupper

I started to get upset...then it hit me (thank You HS) that...these are not crosses of Christ, but of "another" christ.

The rcc sold that land knowing that this would happen. The rcc and islam fit very nicely together and since the rcc has no love for the Jesus of Nazareth, but rather, the dead child of "mother mary, queen of the universe" (ishtar)...it stands to reason that the cross means nothing to them as well.

If islam desecrates catholicism, I have no problem with it.

I have no love for either religion...the people trapped inside? YES, but not the hatred of those religions.

(I didn't capitalize any of that on purpose.)

AndyM

Saved by the grace of God through Jesus Christ
I started to get upset...then it hit me (thank You HS) that...these are not crosses of Christ, but of "another" christ.

The rcc sold that land knowing that this would happen. The rcc and islam fit very nicely together and since the rcc has no love for the Jesus of Nazareth, but rather, the dead child of "mother mary, queen of the universe" (ishtar)...it stands to reason that the cross means nothing to them as well.

If islam desecrates catholicism, I have no problem with it.

I have no love for either religion...the people trapped inside? YES, but not the hatred of those religions.

(I didn't capitalize any of that on purpose.)
Interesting ReadyforSupper, All I know is what that cross means, The greatest love one can have, Praying Gods will be done.

Heistheway

We have no need for temples, church buildings, and crosses. God in the end times will give over to vain desires those who chose to lie to themselves over obeying Him. The hardening of their resolve is in God's plan. We as His church, are to see these signs of rebellion as clock indicators of His plan revealed in Revelations.

It is sad to see the daily reminders disappear, but it is also exciting to witness God's description of these days unfold right before our very eyes!