Should a Christian own a gun?

Accepted

Well, to be honest, I pepper-sprayed myself. Doh! I rifled through my mother's purse while she was cooking and I pulled out a black tube, it had a nice little red button on it that said "PRESS". Well, I pressed and the rest is history. :doh

But I'll definitely take that hug, regardless! :hug
I’m actually relieved it was an accident, rather than someone trying to hurt you!!

SonSeeker

I have two guns in my home. I have never even held them except the once, when I bought them. But it is a peace of mind that they are there if I ever need it
I hope you don't mind, but I've got a few questions for you. Questions that just might save your life.

I am not trying to belittle you, but I am trying to make you aware of the need for practicing with your brand new firearms.

You've never held the firearms?
Do you know if they are even loaded?
Do you know what it feels like to be awakened from a sound sleep by someone who has just broken into your home?
Do you know what it feels like to shoot a firearm?
More importantly, do you know what it's like to be awakened from that sound sleep, then grabbing a firearm, and calmly handling it to get you out of this predicament?
Do you realize that firearms need a little bit of attention once in a while? Even though the manufacturer may have lubricated the firearm at the factory, that lube doesn't last forever. All the moving parts need to operate perfectly, or you might have a misfire. Meaning, your intended target is free to attack you, and very likely will.

Eric Nicholas

I hope you don't mind, but I've got a few questions for you. Questions that just might save your life.

I am not trying to belittle you, but I am trying to make you aware of the need for practicing with your brand new firearms.

Do you know what it feels like to be awakened from a sound sleep by someone who has just broken into your home?
More importantly, do you know what it's like to be awakened from that sound sleep, then grabbing a firearm, and calmly handling it to get you out of this predicament?
Do you realize that firearms need a little bit of attention once in a while? Even though the manufacturer may have lubricated the firearm at the factory, that lube doesn't last forever. All the moving parts need to operate perfectly, or you might have a misfire. Meaning, your intended target is free to attack you, and very likely will.
This is the right take.

Grace_Alone

I probably wouldn't use it on a would be attacker. I am a peaceful man. I would just use it for show likely, as a negotiation tactic of some sort

If I needed a weapon I would use one of the many baseball bats scattered around my home

DodgersFan

These are great questions and ones that should have answers other than no. It's important as a gun owner to at the very least practice enough to become comfortable with shooting and cleaning the firearm because if you've never shot it you will be very surprised at the noise level and potential recoil of the firearm depending upon the caliber you purchased. Pistol shooting is a difficult skill to master so if you've never fired them I'd suggest training with them some. If you don't train you'll be lucky to hit your intended target with them and that could lead to unintentionally injuring or killing someone outside your home. I'm not trying to belittle either so please don't take it that way, just making sure you avoid a potentially bad situation should you have to use it. Guns are a tool and you wouldn't want the first time you go to use it to be a situation in which you have no idea what it will feel like when you pull the trigger for the first time. Recoil and follow up shots are something you have to put time in on the range to get accustomed to. Great point about the factory lubricant by Son Seeker, I've purchased more than one firearm that came from the factory poorly lubricated. I always break down any new firearm right when I get it home and inspect the weapon for any obvious potential flaws and make sure it's clean and well lubricated before first use. The other thing is if you haven't touched the gun since you purchased it, how old is the ammo in that gun? Ammo goes bad after so many years and may not fire, you should also make sure you purchased self defense ammo and not ball or full metal jacket ammo as that is designed for target practice. It has a tendency to over penetrate leading to more than one person being hit by that same round which is why law enforcement doesn't carry them for duty. Hollow points are recommended as self defense ammo for that reason, I'd suggest doing some research on what round may be best suited for your pistol as there are variances like +P ammo that may not be suitable for your gun.

Saguaro

Have an Exit Strategy_ I Thessalonians iv 17
Its not normal to own a gun!
Note what Jesus Christ of Nazareth has said:
Luke xxii
35 And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing.
36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

There is absolutely no restriction on protection one’s family, property, and ultimately one’s own life from patently criminal activity

28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.
29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:

Ephesians v

“Quit yourselves like men”

endofdays

Note what Jesus Christ of Nazareth has said:
Luke xxii
35 And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing.
36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

There is absolutely no restriction on protection one’s family, property, and ultimately one’s own life from patently criminal activity

28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.
29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:

Ephesians v

“Quit yourselves like men”
In our country its not normal to have a gun

Saguaro

Have an Exit Strategy_ I Thessalonians iv 17
In our country its not normal to have a gun
The citizens of America are imbued with inalienable rights , enumerated in the most inspired human Document known to man, the Constitution of the United States of America and the Bill of Rights.
We as citizens of the USA, of all men and nations, have the honor of living in the reality of freedom with liberty, acknowledging the true nature and Author of liberty and freedom, clearly articulated to all men who have the clarity of conscience and the humility of mind and spirit to recognize or beneficent Creator, and the rights and responsibilities that attend these privileges.

I thank God Almighty, that I am born a son of the greatest Republic ever known to man.

God Bless America !!!

Last edited: