Should a Christian own a gun?

Rocky Rivera

Good point! Glad to hear you were able to defend yourself in that situation. Thank the Lord that he gave you the right tool to hand, and the mind to know what to do.

Here in the UK it is not legal to carry a gun, for that matter anything - not even a pepper spray :rolleyes:, but it's been interesting hearing all the thoughts on here. It is a dangerous world and I see no harm in being prepared and equipped. Thankfully I live in a rural and fairly safe area, but I do consider what action could be taken in an emergency whether that would be a kitchen knife, car tool or whatever would come to hand.

I think Amity's story has an important point, if attacked don't stop your defense. If she had hesitated after the first blow he would have continued his attack.
Just a thought. If in your part of the world you are forbidden from carrying official weapons, you can make weapons out of the tools you can legally buy. For example, you can buy a battery-operated nail gun. While it won't have the penetrating power from a distance that even a .22 caliber offers, you can damage their eyesight at short range. Citizens of feudal Japan who were forbidden from carrying weapons turned their farming implements into weapons, from which came the nunchuks and the sai. Filpinos, during times of oppression, even weaponized the yoyo.

katt

Just a thought. If in your part of the world you are forbidden from carrying official weapons, you can make weapons out of the tools you can legally buy. For example, you can buy a battery-operated nail gun. While it won't have the penetrating power from a distance that even a .22 caliber offers, you can damage their eyesight at short range. Citizens of feudal Japan who were forbidden from carrying weapons turned their farming implements into weapons, from which came the nunchuks and the sai. Filpinos, during times of oppression, even weaponized the yoyo.
The yo yo did not start out as a toy..it was always a weapon..just as the boomerang and sling shot also started out as weapons...I've always thought it was quite ironic that the political correct crowd let kids play with every weapon that is now a toy..but took their toy guns away from them...they can't even use their thumb and forefinger when playing cops and robbers...what hypocrisy...

Rocky Rivera

The yo yo did not start out as a toy..it was always a weapon..just as the boomerang and sling shot also started out as weapons...I've always thought it was quite ironic that the political correct crowd let kids play with every weapon that is now a toy..but took their toy guns away from them...they can't even use their thumb and forefinger when playing cops and robbers...what hypocrisy...
Yes, I'm aware that those "toys" began as weapons. Apologies if I implied they had their genesis as toys.

Batman

Yes.... and if you don't own or use a gun or have a problem getting ammunition.... how about pepper spray?
I recently heard about using wasp spray too. :hmmm
Wasp spray is much less effective than human pepper spray. I wouldn't trust it to immediately incapacitate one or more attackers even though it does make you feel like the eyes and sinus areas would suffer at least to some degree. I recall Farrah Fawcett had bug spray in a movie plot to incapacitate her attacker and then she locked him up and tortured him continually.............very wild flick and certainly seemed convincing about the bug spray effectiveness. I'd still much rather have pepper spray for non-lethal.

Eric Nicholas

Wasp spray is much less effective than human pepper spray. I wouldn't trust it to immediately incapacitate one or more attackers even though it does make you feel like the eyes and sinus areas would suffer at least to some degree. I recall Farrah Fawcett had bug spray in a movie plot to incapacitate her attacker and then she locked him up and tortured him continually.............very wild flick and certainly seemed convincing about the bug spray effectiveness. I'd still much rather have pepper spray for non-lethal.
I was pepper-sprayed as a child and it was absolutely devastating. It's important to remember, also, that pepper spray is different than mace. I've seen them used interchangeably, which is quite inaccurate. Pepper spray is more brutal and incapacitating.

If you want a brutal pepper spray and you just aren't into firearms, I'd recommend "Sabre Red Pepper Gel". It's not merely a mist, but a gunk that sticks. That means that you won't have to dope the wind as much when aiming. Devastating.

Annie

Be A Berean!
I was pepper-sprayed as a child and it was absolutely devastating. It's important to remember, also, that pepper spray is different than mace. I've seen them used interchangeably, which is quite inaccurate. Pepper spray is more brutal and incapacitating.

If you want a brutal pepper spray and you just aren't into firearms, I'd recommend "Sabre Red Pepper Gel". It's not merely a mist, but a gunk that sticks. That means that you won't have to dope the wind as much when aiming. Devastating.
:hat for this info ....... I'm checking it out now. So gel is better than spray? My only experience with gels is animal medicine and they don't "spray" well or have much of a distance so this must be something entirely different.

Eric Nicholas

:hat for this info ....... I'm checking it out now. So gel is better than spray? My only experience with gels is animal medicine and they don't "spray" well or have much of a distance so this must be something entirely different.
It is better in the way that it is more accurate, as you don't have to worry about the wind blowing it to the side or back in your face as much as a mist, because it is heavier. The gel in the context of pepper spray also shoots far further than mist, putting more distance between you and the bad guy. It's just so much more aerodynamic (because of its weight), stickier, and brutal than the mist. Cold Steel Inferno was a nasty, nasty foam like substance that was incredibly potent. It's a shame it was discontinued. I do need to say, regardless of spray or gel, you need to practice with it, as gel just may not suit you.

Last edited:

Annie

Be A Berean!
It is better in the way that it is more accurate, as you don't have to worry about the wind blowing it to the side or back in your face as much as a mist, because it is heavier. The gel in the context of pepper spray also shoots far further than mist, putting more distance between you and the bad guy. It's just so much more aerodynamic (because of its weight), stickier, and brutal than the mist. Cold Steel Inferno was a nasty, nasty foam like substance that was incredibly potent. It's a shame it was discontinued. I do need to say, regardless of spray or gel, you need to practice with it.
Thanks again Eric. I hate to have to shop for this stuff but what's worse is not having something to protect yourself if you need it :nope

Accepted

Eric, I’m really sorry to hear you were pepper-sprayed as a child! No child deserves that. I’m sending you a motherly hug!! :hug

Eric Nicholas

Eric, I’m really sorry to hear you were pepper-sprayed as a child! No child deserves that. I’m sending you a motherly hug!! :hug
Well, to be honest, I pepper-sprayed myself. Doh! I rifled through my mother's purse while she was cooking and I pulled out a black tube, it had a nice little red button on it that said "PRESS". Well, I pressed and the rest is history. :doh

But I'll definitely take that hug, regardless! :hug

Annie

Be A Berean!
It is better in the way that it is more accurate, as you don't have to worry about the wind blowing it to the side or back in your face as much as a mist, because it is heavier. The gel in the context of pepper spray also shoots far further than mist, putting more distance between you and the bad guy. It's just so much more aerodynamic (because of its weight), stickier, and brutal than the mist. Cold Steel Inferno was a nasty, nasty foam like substance that was incredibly potent. It's a shame it was discontinued. I do need to say, regardless of spray or gel, you need to practice with it, as gel just may not suit you.
UPDATE on the pepper spray ... so after a little research I'm finding that there is a longevity or expiration on pepper spray, just an FYI for others.
I have purchased one (the jogger spray gel by Sabre) and think maybe a trip to Cabelas Hunting Supplies is in order to look at some firsthand.

Eric Nicholas

UPDATE on the pepper spray ... so after a little research I'm finding that there is a longevity or expiration on pepper spray, just an FYI for others.
I have purchased one (the jogger spray gel by Sabre) and think maybe a trip to Cabelas Hunting Supplies is in order to look at some firsthand.
Good luck, sis. I hope you find just what you are looking for.