Should a Christian own a gun?

ByGod'sGrace

under His wings - Psalm 91:4
My Dad, who is a super gentle man, taught me how to shoot a rifle when I was young (age 12). We practiced in the pasture on old Folgers coffee cans. His Dad taught him how to shoot. When I worked for the D.A., I had to take weapons training (Glock and AK47); one of the Detectives took me through their basic weapon training course to help me get over my lingering fear of guns (fake house with fake people, so you know how to go around corners and shoot). I know how to shoot, but I would never own a gun myself. I think it is an important skill to have, but I would never feel comfortable owning a gun. I think you have to pray about it and do whatever you feel comfortable with.

TrustinHim

If you haven't fired the .22 mags in the revolver you may want to try it out. My experience with the magnum cylinder in ruger single six (same type as yours) is that a lot of unburned powder would get blown up in the ejector rod passage and jam up the gun. Standard .22 lr. Did not and word is that power is similar because mags require longer barrel to burn the powder.
I have never had a desire to shoot, although my husband has always had guns and our boys grew up shooting; both now have numerous guns and their whole families shoot well. But when my husband passed away in December, the boys insisted I learn, for protection in the event of home invasion. I knew they were right so agreed to. I have a revolver and a .22 but decided to get a youth (shorter and lighter) bolt action 20 gauge shotgun. I ordered it 2 months ago but due to the covid situation, my background check has not gone through. So I've been paying for lessons with the guns I have.

I have been told, don't even pick one up unless you are prepared to shoot to kill. If they are breaking in, don't say anything, you don't have to warn them that you are armed, do not shoot until they are actually in the house, then don't stop shooting till the gun is empty. When the cops arrive, only say, "I was afraid for my life."

I found that I am a decent shot and better with the .22. My Heritage Roughrider revolver shoots .22's but has another cylinder for .22 mags, which, until I get my shotgun, it will be loaded with and kept in my bedroom. The back door is in view from my side of the bed. I liked the idea that someone outside would hear me rack the shotgun and that might be enough to scare them off. I will keep the rifle loaded also and in the corner. Now that I am totally responsible for my own safety, I have no qualms as a Christian about shooting someone who would be breaking and entering, since the alternative could be rape, serious bodily harm, or death. It would be a horrible thing to have to kill someone, but it is a matter of the lesser of two evils.

Jonathan

I have that one and love it. It’s light and fits my female hand perfectly. Hubby got a Sig, but it was so big and heavy I honestly didn’t feel safe using it. It felt like a hand cannon to me.
To each his or her own. The best gun is the one that is best for you. I'm a Sig guy myself also, but then again I'm also a Glock guy and a Walther guy too! :p

Just curious, what gun did you go with/that worked for you?

Batman

I believe a Christian should own a gun, learn how to use it and maintain it, and carry it if it is lawful to do so. In America they need to know the laws on justification of lethal force. If more good people on this planet were able to carry and was willing to use it I have no doubt that most violence (murder, assault/battery, rape, incest, kidnapping, arson, carjacking, etc.) would be prevented and in many case not even attempted.

Jonathan

I believe a Christian should own a gun, learn how to use it and maintain it, and carry it if it is lawful to do so. In America they need to know the laws on justification of lethal force. If more good people on this planet were able to carry and was willing to use it I have no doubt that most violence (murder, assault/battery, rape, incest, kidnapping, arson, carjacking, etc.) would be prevented and in many case not even attempted.
"An armed society is a polite society."

dreamermind

Question. If my husband and I only want to purchase one firearm, can we both have the ownership in our names? Or is it only one owner per gun?

Batman

Question. If my husband and I only want to purchase one firearm, can we both have the ownership in our names? Or is it only one owner per gun?
You should check out your specific state requirements on firearms purchase and ownership. MO no longer has a permit to acquire process of pre-approval by the county sheriff but a new firearm does require a FBI background check. I'm not sure if couples can both do the background check and buy the concealable firearm together jointly. I even think most states (you'd think all but don't mistake liberal gun grabbing states as being logical or 2A friendly) allow marital property rights of firearms except under certain exclusions like inheritance, gifted, etc.

Possession is an even different topic and in many (perhaps all but I doubt it) states any person that meets state/fed laws on lawful possession can possess the firearm owned by another, especially a spouse.

In summary, if you both can't buy it at the same time I do believe you will be joint property rights owners as married couples but do check on this further.

chaser

We trust you Jesus, you are the only King forever!
Question. If my husband and I only want to purchase one firearm, can we both have the ownership in our names?
Depends on your state/city ordinances, where we live long guns/rifles/shotguns do not need to be registered, pistols/revolvers do need to be registered by the city law enforcement. Must be registered to the name who purchased the weapon. It can be transferred to family members who can legally own the weapon.